• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

firth4x4

ZF5 Shifter Overhaul

Well my truck has 192k miles and it was well over due for some TLC on the tranny. I had ATF pissing out all over the top of my trans, and the annoying smell of ATF in the cab. Could not find a decent write up anywhere with pics, so figured I would share my experience. The ZF lower shifter is lubed by the trans, hence if your boot is cracked to shit like mine, you will have a river of ATF flowing down your outfit. Also as a side note, I drained and refilled with Royal Purple Synchromax trans fluid, noise went down and smoother shifting, even with mostly hammered snychros.

All parts I got through Idaho Transmission Warehouse (208) 523-1718.

Removing the shifter is pretty straight forward. Remove the 4 Phillips head screws that hold your shift boot too the floor, slide it up and invert it onto the shift lever. Remove the two bolts 10mm head that hold on your shift lever. Now you are looking at the lower shifter assembly, remove the 4 metric allen head screws, and pull the lower assembly up and out. Watch the two plastic bushings don't fall down into your trans case. Now for some pics and reassembly.

My shifter was wore out, the plastic bushings had actually eaten into the brass looking part of the lower assembly. The new assembly appears to be made of a harder material. Looks like ZF got smart! ;)

4.jpg

Here are the bushings you want to replace.

3.jpg

Clean your surface and install the new gasket, or use Gray Permatex RTV. I glued my gasket down with some headliner adhesive so it would not move on me. This is easily removed later with an air angle grinder and coarse pad.

9.jpg

Install the two plastic bushings onto the studs on the lower shifter, drop into the square slots in the top of the trans case.

7.jpg

Here are your shift boots, they improved the design from OEM. There is a snap ring that holds in the boot, It is installed from the bottom of the plate. Push it in firm with something blunt ended.

10.jpg

I chose to replace the grade 8.8 allen head bolts with grade 10.9 flange head capscrews from my work. My allen head screws where mostly stripped, curtsey of the previous owner.

2.jpg

Slide the boot and plate down, install the 4 screws. Snug up, don't go nuts, aluminum threads strip very easily!

5.jpg

Reinstall your shift boot and 4 screws. Mine is shit, thanks again previous owner! Will get a new boot someday! LMC is outrageous though.

6.jpg

Here is the part # for the lower shifter assembly:

8.jpg

Pretty much it, let me know if you got any questions!