jhornsby3

Linksys wireless G router

What model/version is it?

Flip it over and on the bottom you'll see it ..... I need one I can modify and run DD-WRT or Tomato on, plus turn up the transmit on and add better antennas.

-Kris

Sorry Kris, it went home with Muddy. I might be able to still get some from a couple hotes that closed their doors in Bend. They are the Linksys ones that are kind of like transponders. They have a range of 2k to 4k feet. I think they can be moded to get out further.

No problem .... if you can get one, great, if not it's no big deal.

I have one at home but the plan is to cut open the top and mount some copper heat sinks so that when I run DD-WRT and turn up my trasmit power I won't fry the internals ..... and some better antennas ;)

I called him and he sold them all to a new motel that went in in Bend. All he had left was some of the higher output antennas and they are funky at the connectors. It was a propriatory thing that Cisco do a few years back. I wish he still had some left. I could use one around here. The bad was they were only a g unit and not the faster n units.

So a range of like under 50 feet is not normal...... Hmm...... Maybe I need a new one.

Kris, let me know what model(s) are desirable and maybe I could find a couple somewhere. Let me know how much you want to spend and I would be glad to grab you one. Maybe you would share the plans and I could build me one as well....?

The one I gave Muddy the other day, we were close to 75' from it and still had full signal. I have gotten over 100' on it and had it in the "good" range.

I know. I just have been ignoring this one for too long now. I think I have figured out a way around it's problems; I just need to implement it!

I used to leave it 'open' all the time. With it's short range like that I usually never had any 'visitors'. Now it is locked because I found several un-authorized peeps in there... Must be the salesmen next door.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk....

I like using DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index) for the firmware upgrade and these (http://www.wlanparts.com/product/O24-9RPTNC/24GHz-9dbi-Rubber-Duck-RP-TNC-Antenna.html) for the new antennas.

For a normal sized home, this setup is actually pretty good. There are some other settings in DD-WRT you can change to help with range issues, but I won't get into those because 1.) you can blow up your router, and; 2.) you can blow up your router. And no, I'm not kidding .... I've already blew up a router, so I know.

Your wireless coverage area is kind of like a soap bubble, but these settings can change the shape of the bubble from round (good coverage for a 2 story home) to oval (better for a single level or ranch style home) but can also cause the router to heat up. This is why I said I'll be doing surgery to one, because I'll be installing copper heat sinks to help fix this problem.

The nice part is there is a 50 plus MAC filter list, so you can:

1.) Stop broadcasting your SSID,

2.) Use WPA for security,

3.) Limit authorized users access based on MAC address.

I got tired of replacing the cheap $50 - $100 routers that kept dying on me so about 5 years ago I broke down and bought an apple airport extreme. It cover both my main floor and my basement no problem. And I can even connect to it in my neighbors house 150' away. So far it is the best $180 i have spent on piece of computer equipment.

My cheap Cisco router was hooked to neighbors on both side over a year ago. I had full signal with my laptop out side from 75' away when Muddy was here. And that one was 6 or 8 years old. I only got a new one due to the speed of the cable hook up we have so I thought I'd go and get a faster router