jhornsby3

Something I never knew

While surfing I stumbled onto this while looking at Memorial Day info.

Wikipedia Says;

On Memorial Day the flag is raised briskly to the top of the staff and then solemnly lowered to the half-staff position, where it remains only until noon. It is then raised to full-staff for the remainder of the day.[16]

The half-staff position remembers the more than one million men and women who gave their lives in service of their country. At noon their memory is raised by the living, who resolve not to let their sacrifice be in vain, but to rise up in their stead and continue the fight for liberty and justice for all.

I like this very much.

For me this is not just a time to reflect on the dead but also the living that have and still are serving in the Armed Services.

Again I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you so much for the informative post. I too did not know that but it is quite emotional to read. Another reason for reminding people that Memorial Day is not just another day off work or school. Hugs, Di

Just woke up and hung the flag outside at the half staff position. Funny thing is it was the first thought that popped into my head when I woke up, to put the flag out.

Got a little flag on my motorcycle today, I'm gonna head over to the cemetary and put it on my great grandpa's grave. He served as a landing craft operator in WWII. Then I'll go out to my grandpa's house and tell him thanks for serving in Vietnam and Korea as a combat medic with the US army. He left his wife to serve as well as my dad when he was just a baby and didn't know if he was gonna make it back. Those two men have set the example that I try to live my life by.

a big thanks to all those who have served and are serving right now.

It saddens me that in this rental there is no place to fly a flag. And one of the things I was told was no modifying the house in any way. When I called and asked if I could put up a holder, I was told no. At the old house I flew a flag every day without fail. I have a pole on my fifth wheel that I try to fly when the wind is not over 40mph but that is in a tree where the trailer is sitting. This year is the first in over 20 years With out. What can one do?

Again thank you all for your service.

If I were you I woulda pissed off the landlord by "modifying" the place by hanging a flag holder and flying the flag.

I thought about it. But have you ever lived in a 28' fifth wheel with two kids all their crap your wife and a dog? Been there done that. And have the burned up water heater to prove it. At this point I'm struggeling enough with out pissing him off.

I noticed today that the hotel at Cole and Overland had their 10 acre flag still at half staff at 2pm. I would loved to be able to stop in and educate them.

It saddens me that in this rental there is no place to fly a flag. And one of the things I was told was no modifying the house in any way. When I called and asked if I could put up a holder, I was told no. At the old house I flew a flag every day without fail. I have a pole on my fifth wheel that I try to fly when the wind is not over 40mph but that is in a tree where the trailer is sitting. This year is the first in over 20 years With out. What can one do?

Again thank you all for your service.

Put it on your truck while it parked. It's your truck and they can't stop you from putting it on there.

LOL, I thought about that. I got to looking and the only ploe I have is the 20' on that goes on the fifth wheel. I'm thinking of putting a pipe in the ground and putting up a 15' pole in the flower bed out front. When we move out then all I have to do is pull down the pole and leave the mount in the ground cut flush with the ground. That way he would never know. Funny thing is he's only been here twice since we've been in the house. 2 times in almost 6 months. We must be good tenants.:lol:

At least they had their flag at half staff. Most places most likely didn't at any point. I have seen many occassions to educate people on the proper display of the flag. I think the most common foul is flying the flag during hours of darkness without a light illuminating it.

I had that problem one time. Neigbor asked me why I turned that light off on the front of my garage. I asked him how long it had not been shining and he told me about three night. I made sure I took my flag down at dusk until I could get another solar light.

I was still working day-shift (about 3 - 4 years ago) when I noticed a lawyer's office was displaying the flag incorrectly in their window. I stopped in to say, "Hi, and by the way..."

They thanked me for informing them and even invited me to join them for lunch. That was one of the best "Office Buffets" I have ever attended. :lol: Lawyer's eat very well, when they have a chance to eat.

Not all of us can be as subtle as this guy Craig.....

I love this video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shuJ3wHqXmw&feature=related]American Flag SAVED by Jim Brossard - YouTube[/ame]

God Bless Jim!!!

Tangleing with that guy would be like pushing Muddy to the ground. You'd be one messed up somebiotch. He'd probably put the knife up your butt before you knew what happened. Muddy would just go off and take you out. Both would have the same outcome.

On a side note, that reporter is from PDX. I wondered what happened to her when the station had a cleaning day.

I hope that Jim knows he has support if that buisness starts giving him crap.

And as for the buisness not knowing the American flag goes on top is bs.

Jim for president.