petroskie

DIY sprinkler system

anybody have any knoledge about sprinkler systems? I have a curvy yard front and back and i got quoted 3k to do my yard$$$ so my thought was black flexable tubing and a sprinkler every so many feet. just want to bury it along the egde of the land scape a foot down or so and just hook up a hose to the pipe. complicated with out seeing my yard ill try n get a pic but just looking for info on pipe size, gpm, ect. thanks

ya i found that out, i can have 2 click click sprinklers on a hose daisy chain style, but add a 3rd and your done, but my thought was maybe a smaller diamiter poly pipe would yeild better pressure for more sprinkler heads?

You're gonna want to bury it at least a foot down due to the freezing temps we get out here. You'll also have to run multiple stations / lines. You gonna run this off of house water or pressurized irrigation? Different requirements for each system, especially regarding filtering and how often you'll need to clean it.

We have pressurized irrigation for our sprinkler system. Four stations on a timer. There's so much crap in the canal / ditch for the subdivision (I've complained for several years with no result...maybe next year) that I have to clean my filter after all four stations run. The amount of gunk in my filter would have clogged up my sprinkler heads. Cleaning those is a PITA!

We can get you a system figured out! If you can get up a pic of what you are talking about and show a drawing of sizes of the yard, I can get you some ideas. On a guess, if they told you $3,k then you are looking at almost $1,k for parts to do it the same way. BUT, from what you said after that, it sounds like you can get by for a lot less......

(RocketNut just called me yesterday asking the same questions. Looks like I should stock up the boxes on the service truck and head out!!!!)

(Oh, and you don't want to try smaller pipe! You loose volume and pressure each time you go down in size!! If you can come off your supply with as large as possible and run that all the way out to your zone valves, you will get better results. I run 1 1/4" from my pressure tank and it is amazing how much water you get at only 40 psi . . . . )

I've got 1" main line feeding the yard at 116 PSI and just 6 rain birds I can pull the pressure well below 40 PSI to the point I got to shut down the Pelton wheel generator.

there is a 2m company (which is a wholesaler but the local one sells to walkins) in spokane or go to any landscaping supply company. you will need to take down measurements,a rough drawing, square footage,and the capacity of your well and pump then they can draw a print for you and sell you the materials including all the electrical gizmos to make it automated. some of them will also draw it up for you for a few bucks then give it to you and let you shop prices. those are the best places to go if you can find one.

Larger pipe means better volume and less pressure loss. Just like your fuel system.

Now like my place I can cover huge part of the yard with 2 rainbird sprinklers. But once again its all about how big of a jet you got on your rainbirds. You can use smaller jets to reduce the distance and volume consumed.

As for pop-up sprinklers I'm sorry to say your on your own... :confused:

Which 'kind' of sprinklers do you want to use or prefer to use? Do you want the 'classic' Rain Bird impact or a gear drive that has a solid stream. In some of the tight areas you may be stuck with having to use the smaller pop up spray type....

well damn ive no idea, it dost have to pop uplike i said my goal was to run a pipe from the drive way around the front to the gate and just bury it so the heads were and inch or so above the ground and have a screw on end so i can just hook up the hose to it. what would yall recomend?

Sorry to be so slow.

The cheapest pop up 'spray' heads are for smaller areas. Mostly these are used in flower bed areas or small areas of grass (That are often between obstacles.). These have interchangeable heads that can do most any pattern that you need (Even a 'square' pattern is possible!). There is no reason though that you can't use them in the open in large areas. It will just require more of them as they don't cover as much ground as the next two types.

Then you have the 'impact' design (Usually referred to by the name brand Rain Bird). These can spray up to about a 30' radius if you have the pressure. You can also use these in varying amounts of and up to a full circle. These are maybe the most expensive but they do have about the longest life (Lowest overall cost because you don't install as many and then you don't have to mess with them for a lot of years.).

And then there are the gear driven heads. These usually don't have any trouble reaching out to about a 20' radius. These are also usually completely adjustable as far as how big of a nozzle (Interchangeable nozzles for how much water they put out are usually supplied with the head.) and there is usually a set screw that can be adjusted in or out to manage the distance the head will spray. Almost all of these designs also are fully adjustable in very small increments of how much of a circle they will spray (Everything from a very small sliver up to a full circle in small increments!).

Hopefully that will help some. Almost everyone winds up with a combination of the different types. Just remember that the pop up sprays require more labor, fittings and what not so they are not as cheap as they first appear.

How wide is this stretch? Is it a rectangle? And which heads do you want to go with? If you know how big your supply line is and what pressure it has we can figure it out. It would be better to know the flow though. You can just put the line into a 5 gallon pail and time how long it takes to fill it.