wyattearp

Smoke

OK...I admit I am a diesel newbie. After trying to immerse myself for months on several different sites there is still one thing I absolutely do not get. And before anybody gut shoots me, hooks me up to the back of their Cummins, drags me through the sage brush and finish me off..can someone explain the allure of excessive smoke coming from their exhaust pipes. MY understanding is all that black smoke is nothing more than unburnt fuel at $4.70/gallon.

As far as I can tell, it's for young ones that have very deep pockets and love to waiste money. Now I have puffed out a small cloud now and again but don't really like seeing anything coming out of the pipes. That and I don't care for all the heat build up caused by the over fueling. Another thing that it causes is the government folks to look at all that smoke and make regs harsher on diesel vehicles. Look at Nevada. I have a buddy that pulled through in his 379 Pete. He takes off at a light and a cop screams in behind him with his bubble gums flashing. He got a ticket due to his truck blowing some smoke at take off. The cop said it's aginst the law to blow smoke in Nevada. Goes before the judge and he said the same thing. Cost JD $400 for his truck smoking and they wanted to see that his truck had been through a shop to "tune" it so it wouldn't do that again. I don't find it all that attractive. But that's just me.

Me, I want to hook up some propane to my exhaust. Now that would be cool. Have flames coming out. Kind of like on Mad Max.

post-5446-145494327631_thumb.jpg

It reminds of a time when I was in my late teens and could not understand jacking up the back of Camaros and Firebirds, etc and putting big giant tires on just to go fast in a straight line.:rofl:

To me black smoke thing is the same thing. To me the trick is to make more reliable power with as little smoke as possible.

hooks me up to the back of their Cummins

HAHA He knows who blows (smoke). I kid I kid.

Large clouds of black smoke is just unburnt fuel. There is no correlation between the amount of smoke your truck blows and the massive amounts of horsepower you think you are putting down because of it.

The only time I have seen it useful, is when someone is being a total doucher on the road, and a big black cloud of smoke gets em to knock it off. Other then that, it's no good.

Edited by Jhill
spelling

all in fun............

i dont like to change oil so i dont very much except for tailgaters and liberals on bycexuals hoggin the road :lol:

post-4-145494327643_thumb.jpg

My old first gen was a major smoker off the line. The pump was turned up for more power. My super laggy stock 21cm turbo housing was the culprit. Not something I enjoyed very often, but smoking out a prius with Cali plates in Moab Utah was definitely a plus.....

Black smoke from old Mercedes Benz cars back in the 70's used to bug the #$% out of me :bat: Now I am thinking of sticking one in my truck...go figure :lmao2:

Forget about the smoke. Let's lay a couple of 37" tire tracks across the thing. That will teach him:rofl: Then let's bury the dumb thing out in the desert.

Forget about the smoke. Let's lay a couple of 37" tire tracks across the thing. That will teach him:rofl: Then let's bury the dumb thing out in the desert.

If ya put 37" tire tracks across it, I would'nt be moving it to the desert to bury it...instead of a mobile speed bump it will have become a permanent speed bump...too much work and I'm lazy :lol:. Then you'd have another Kali prius driver screamin bloody murder cause you littered.

I'm in it for the MPG game. So I can careless about a puff now and then when I'm gear changing. But I look at this way I'm getting 20-21 MPG during the summer typically so if I burning so little fuel that means my pollution foot print is small compared to the "Puppies" out there blowing coal at everything. Not to mention my pocket are not deep so I can't afford to keep buying fuel.

Yeap one of the few reason I bailed out of Cally long ago (23 years ago!)

I try not to roll coal anymore than I have to, but one inevitable fact commuting to boise everyday is that some jackass is sure to try to hook their front bumper to my tow hitch...at that point, I'm either hammerin the brakes or blowin as much black as my old diesel will put out. One day, some idiot is gonna find out just how much American steel there is in my old truck.

Just be sure to put a drop stinger in the hitch. It will help save your frame and do more damage to their car. Might have to replace the hitch when it's all done but your frame with be good. Been there done that.

I need to start traveling with my hitch in, but I need to find a locking pin for a 2.5" hitch cuz I don't want the hitch stolen.

When it comes to that situation badboy, I would definitely rather blow smoke then be involved in a wreck, regardless of the minimal damage. to my truck.

It's just all those retards that you can find on Youtube doing it all on purpose, especially those cock suckers that do it to bystanders.

I do it when some dumb @$$ makes me mad. or in a bombvoy" just ask spongebob.":lol: or if another diesel trys to show his truck blows smoke. most of the time i am trying to get the best milage i can.

I need to start traveling with my hitch in, but I need to find a locking pin for a 2.5" hitch cuz I don't want the hitch stolen.

Walmart has them. I don't use mine due to the last time I forgot it was there and hooked up to a fifth wheel trailer, I hit a dip in the road and put it through the front of the trailer. Yep it came up just right and was sticking out just right and whammo! :wall:

I have a drop hitch in mine, and so far (knock on wood), I've just managed to give those jackasses a closeup view of that hitch and heavy steel bumper. They must be realizing that while they're drafting me in their prius, that that big steel bumper is also about face level for them. They've all backed off so far...guess they're not interested in free dental work.

tail gating is agin the rules. smoke is the first warning. i will not slam on the brakes, but i want to. trust me. :fu: i will back off my speed till i need to shift into granny in an area they can not pass in. i go out of my way to be polite but do not be rude to me and stay off my ass and i will go out of my way to get over so you can pass.

ask me what i did to this rude migrant bitch last week :lmao:

Edited by MUDDY

It used to be when I was in the company vehicle(van, pick up or delivery truck) I would tap my brakes first as a warning. If they still wanted to be on my butt, then I would down shift a gear with out touching the breaks. If that didn't work I would just let off the fuel and slow down. There was one time I got called in on because I was doing 40 on I-5 in a 65. They asked me if I was doing this and I said yes I was. They asked if there was something wrong. I said yep. When dispatch asked me what was going on that someone would call and chew him a new one I told him to tell the asshole to back off my bumper and I will go the limit. I watched in the mirror and could see the moment he was told to back off. That ass went from red to white in an instant. When did get past me he mu=st of liked me alot because he was showing me that I was #1 in his book.

:lmao2: