Mopar1973Man

Ubuntu Linux & Conky

Well gang... I'm nearly completed moving over to Linux and saying good bye to Microsoft Windows.

All I can say is Ubuntu Linux has been the Cat's Meow for sure. I've never use Linux before and finally I had enough of the slowness of Windows that I created a dual boot system so I've still got Windows Vista x64 and then Ubuntu Linux 11.10. Like to give you a feel for the horse power linux has I'm completely booted up and...

FireFox Browser is going

Apache HTML Server is up and running

MySQL server is up and running

PHP is up and running

Make this even more interesting I'm only running 1.0 GHz on my processor... I've got a AMD 5200 capable of 2.70 GHz but to just run 153 process I only need 1.0 GHz to do it without a slow down...

I'm only using 680 MB or 4.0 GB of RAM with NO swap file...

On Windows I would use all 4.0 GB plus anothe 9 GB of swap file for a total 13 GB of memory just for desktop that empty and nothing running.:wall:

So back to the conky part... Conky is a live dashboard for your Linux desktop to show you hard drive space, CPU load, etc... Here is my version...

attachment.php?attachmentid=5620&stc=1&d=1335315366

All I can say is Ubuntu Linux is the Cummins of the Computer World!

post-5354-145494327458_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Check this out...

attachment.php?attachmentid=5626&stc=1&d=1335408211

System fully loaded... HTML server, MySQL Server, PHP, etc...

Only using 1.00 GHz of processor and 647 MB of ram and I'm full loaded. M$ Windoze can't even run with that little of RAM.

post-5354-145494327514_thumb.png

wow.......... i am impressed. dont know what you guys are talking about but i am impressed, nun the less. :ok:

Lets say your using the GMC of computers... I'm running the Cummins of Computers now.

Got my gauges installed so now I'm ready to turn up the CPU (Injection pump) and see have far I can go. I can already tell you I can push the CPU from 2.70 GHz to 3.00 GHz without thinking. I've touched 3.10 GHz once for over 7 days.

But now also I can do triple the amount of work on Linux than Windows. I checked last night with Windows Vista load and nothing running I have consumed 3.5 GB of RAM (87%) with only 53 process. So now lets fire up the Linux I'm using 0.6 GB (17%) of member but powering 153 Process. But to make windows even sad at this point I'm doing that with 1.0 GHz (37%) of CPU...

In other word (for Muddy) Linux (Cummins) is pulling 3 times the weight (153 Process) with only 37% of the HP. Where if I was driving that clunker (GMC) I would need the full 2.7 GHz (100%) to pull 1/3 of what the Cummins does...

Get it? :lmao:

Ubuntu Linux 11.10 64 Bit OS System That is FREE!

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Just to prove the point I'll get my personal server up and running here in a bit and I'll post the link to my computer...

Something M$ Winblows has problems doing reliably... :td:

I'll admit I was going to post the link to my machine but the server is blank right now and no files in it... :wall:

http://170.215.65.143

EDIT: I got the domain working...

http://mopar1973man.no-ip.org

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Love Linux. I used Ubuntu for a while then switched to Kubuntu. Now I am running Linux Mint. There are so many back doors into Microsoft/Windows products it is scary. Windows 7 was developed with the help of the NSA and the NSA is connected with Google as well.

Yup, just make sure you sign in everywhere with your facebook account . . . . No one will ever tie it all back to your name!!

Linux is a great system. If you didn't catch it above: It is FREE and windows will cost you a couple of hundred dollars. . . . I just opted to stay with windows because I didn't have time to learn how to use Linux. I don't even remember DOS commands and they aren't the same anyway.....

Michael,

Glad you like Ubuntu, it is a great OS. I finally got my wife off of IE, and using Firefox so half my work is done, now I need to find a test machine to load Linux on to let her play with that to se if she will switch over. Unfortunately with my work stuff I'm stuck with MS.

Throw a solid state drive in that machine and it will be like putting a smarty on a cummins :-)

Michael,

Glad you like Ubuntu, it is a great OS. I finally got my wife off of IE, and using Firefox so half my work is done, now I need to find a test machine to load Linux on to let her play with that to se if she will switch over. Unfortunately with my work stuff I'm stuck with MS.

Throw a solid state drive in that machine and it will be like putting a smarty on a cummins :-)

Like what are you using on MS that you need?

I've already got Open Office over here which is exactly like MS Office.

Then if you really need Windows Apps for something there is always WINE.

http://wiki.winehq.org/Debunking_Wine_Myths

So your excuse is???

As for update here this machine I'm on if fully rigged up with all web servers (HTML, PHP, MySQL, etc) and still got the domain name for it running.

http://mopar1973man.no-ip.org

Now my last step of converting away from windows will be moving the linux over to my widows drive and re-installing Windows Vista x64 on a smaller drive just for gaming.

My current hard drives...

1.0 TB (1,000 GB - Windows Vista Boot Drive)

1.5 TB (1,500 GB - Storage)

250 GB (Ubuntu Linux 11.10)

Then last night I got bold and grab a copy of Kubuntu Linux x86 and installed it to my old laptop. I've got a 13 year old Sony Vaio 800 MHz AMD with 192 MB of ram and 10 GB hard drive. Guess what??? It work much better than Windows XP. I've got some clean up on it to do yet but it running. :cool:

Now the thing about Linux everyone whines about is having to use the terminal window for all the high power commands. After working with Linux now for most of the spring I relize tha linux had so many commands that its impossible to make a screen full of icons for all of them. Just the repository of software contains 56,000+ title of all FREE software. (Synaptic App).

But what I love is when I got to work on web site like ITD here I now do things a much easier way and login into that same terminal window and interact with the server directly. No more long FTP downloads/uploads. I just create another folder and copy the site in about 5-10 second there is a backup. Now I can proceed to modifying the site or updating. If the mod or update fails... No problem... Blink! move the backup copy back and it all good! :popcorn:

I got to thank all the wonderful Linux user out there that taught me how to do these things like Rogan for over on my site. :rockin:

Wife has her pc, and uses quick books. And she is alergic to change.:td: kids have an old laptop that I may steal and load it on :evil: they just use the web. Sooner or later I will have a Linux box.

Hmmm... I looked it up it seems there is a narrow band of Quickbooks that was considered good on WINE.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=120

So here is how they managed to get Quickbooks on Linux...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963922

If you got any question I found if you type the question into Google and then add the last word Ubuntu you usually get a solved answer... 8-)

Ubuntu can be loaded from CD too if you wish to just try it... then if you need to keep windows you could try Wubi (Ubuntu inside Windows) or dual boot where you split the hard drive or use a second hard drive. I'm currently using a old hard drive (250 GB) for my Ubuntu Linux...

Edited by Mopar1973Man