Mopar1973Man

Low MPG's on 1993 Dodge Cummins - VE pump

I've got a stock 1993 Dodge Ram 3/4 Truck 4WD that is expreiencing low MPG's. The power is OK for a automatic trans truck but the MPG's are like 15-16 MPG. The VE pump is un-toucked and un-changed still is stock configuration. Valves have been adjusted and they are good. Injectors where pulleed and cleaned up the best I can but still low MPG's. Also now having issues with white smoke at start up. Roughly 350K on the clock.

Need some ideas gang... confused2.gif

Are these trucks ones that can have issues with air in the lines. I have seen this when I had a leaking fuel filter manager. I was getting air into the lines causing the issues. I still have an air in leak causing white smoke at start up but the bad one is gone now and milage has gone back up.

Just a thought.

That's what I think to there is a air leak from the work I have done and it minor enough that its white smoke at start up but the power is good. I'll have the truck in my yard here soon and get a shot at fixing it up right. But It still bugs me I can't talk the owner into a set of gauges yet... :wall:

I have a manual one that I have been afraid to install. I put all new lines in and have been afraid to cut the line. Been waiting untill I can get a good electric one to install in teh Racor filter. Already have one small air leak and don't need another.

Me thinks I need to temp pull my fuel pressure gauge and install it on his truck when you get it. At least we can eliminate 1 variable with the guy's truck.

I'm starting to think the same... Either an air leak from the injector work or its a fuel line issue sucking air. Might be a good idea to put some pressure to the tank and look for wet spots in the fuel lines (bad O rings).

Yeah, if it's before the VE; hopefully you can find a 'wet' spot that will give you an idea of where the air leak is.

If it's after the VE: It should leak while the engine is running!!!! These are usually easier to find (Unless you can't see where it is coming from and it is running along somewhere before you can see it!)

That is a good question: Can low lift pump pressure on these cause low mileage?

Only other thing I can think of: Is this auto a 'lock-up' torque converter? If not, (Or your sure it is not slipping or not locking up.) is it an over drive model? Maybe the overdrive isn't shifting in? If it has a small air leak that is causing the white smoke at start up; I wouldn't think that would be enough to lower the mileage..... But if there is an issue with the trans; that would lower the mileage!!

Mike, what we should have done after cleaning and re-installing the injectors was to start the truck and spray some shampoo and water through a spray bottle onto the injectors while the engine is running. If they are bleeding compression, you'll see the bubbles form. I have 2 injectors that are doing that to me.

That is a really good check to do! I have several leaking like that on my '92. Guess this is a common problem on these 12V's then? Mine are small leaks so I'm not very worried about it. But a leak of compression like that is still better fixed! Guess I should get PowerFreak a full set of injectors so he can fix them up for mileage and I'll drop them in the old girl and see what happens!