cvparatrooper

WTB Cummins

Alright boys. I'm looking for an 04-06 5.9L Crew Cab. I want a short box, with a 6 speed manual, preferably less than 120 K on it. It probably needs to be at a dealership, so I can trade in the DMAX. Anybody seen anything along these lines kicking around?

about time you get rid of the maxipad. there is an 03 at a stealership in ontario. it is a crewcab long bed with a 6 spd. i think it had under a 100k miles. i think they were asking 23k. plus it had an edge juice and a turn over gooseneck ball

congrats cv :ok:

yep, ontario auto brokers and ask specificly for roy and no one else. tell him idaho turbo diesels sent ya.

Ditto on Ontario Auto Brokers. They specialize in Dodge Cummins especially and deal in other Diesel pickups. Roy is the man!

preferably less than 120 K on it.

Why such low miles... :confused: A cummins isn't broke in till 250K miles and are good for 1 MILLION!

24nkutv.jpg

o0pbw6.jpg

These are NOT Ford or Chevy's...

I got one I will sell. :wall: as for wanting a short bed I will cut it off to any length you want. :lol:

Actually good luck on your search once I get through this problem I will love my truck again.

How do you guys feel about the auto transmission in an 04-06? I hear bad things, but I know several guys who put all kinds of power through stock tranys. What's the consensus?

I've only heard bad things about the auto behind the cummins. I was talking to a tranny guru and he said the harmonics plays hell on them. That they will be great and one day BOOM all over the highway. I've known of two guys that have had nothing but trouble with them. One guy ran with a 12 foot camper with a trailer (6 place sno mo) abd it was great and one day while going over Santiam Pass it was slipping at the bottom and blown half way up. No other issues before.

I don't have one so I'm not sure.

How do you guys feel about the auto transmission in an 04-06? I hear bad things, but I know several guys who put all kinds of power through stock tranys. What's the consensus?

I got 240k out of my 97 stock auto with 350RWHP Serviced every 20-3Ok with belt adjustments. Then put in ATS. Good luck on the hunt, just don't understand the short bed thing.:lmao2: When I was looking it was easier to find long beds (what I was looking for) in Dodges, and Fords being best prices. My gole was low milage in our price range. Wanting a Dodge but just couldn't find one with both. So ended up with a 80k one owner Ford that fit the bill.

Good luck

Lots of guys are running 500 and 600hp on those tranys.

And more! Keep in mind that a lot of the high power DMAX boys are using built 47RE and 48RE's behind the DMAX to put the power to the ground as they hold up better than the Allison. Fact!

You should run down to Ontario. Roy has a whole lot of 3rd gens in stock.

And more! Keep in mind that a lot of the high power DMAX boys are using built 47RE and 48RE's behind the DMAX to put the power to the ground as they hold up better than the Allison. Fact!

You should run down to Ontario. Roy has a whole lot of 3rd gens in stock.

X2!!

I just know what has happened around ME. I said that I wasn't sure. Do we need to take a collection to get you some reading lessons as well as writing lessons? :poke::lmao2:

I'd knock them down on that price.......:wall:

I'm not bashing brands here: I think that each one has it's strong points and of course it's problems. I honestly think that Dodge has the smallest list or the ones that are easiest to fix and or live with.

I used to own exclusively GM. Of course this was a lot of years ago and today these rigs would all be many decades old. I don't know when it started but I think we can all agree that GM has been making them just as cheaply as possible. Not that they all aren't cutting as many corners as possible; but, they seem to have 'excelled' at it. I reference things like the front suspension and frame problems.

I honestly feel the Dodge 48RE is the best auto out there. I know Allison has a loyal following but everyone that I know of has had problems that required a tow truck. A tech in a large shop claimed that he sees like 30 Allison's to one Dodge auto. I don't know if it is true but I have been told that the 'little' Allison's problems are because GM took it away from Allison and designed and built it. I feel this is the same bad idea that Ford had with the 6.0L. Supposedly they went to International and told them how to build it. You don't go to a company like IH (That has built some of the best motors that ever ran!) and tell them 'how' to do it. Instead you give them your wants or needs of what you want it to do and let them work their magic!!

I have always thought that Dodge was cheaply built or cut corners. After owning and working on the several we have had: I feel they are very solidly built and very durable. I have rarely had any suspension problems (But that is the case with all the solid axles out there really.), wiring problems or reliability issues. Don't get me wrong: Dodge does come in lower priced than the other two. But I just don't see the issues out there in Dodge world with the truck not holding up to the durability of the mighty Cummins. All of my Dodges and the others I have been around have held up very well over the years that they have seen. I truly am impressed with Dodge and the way they function.

I hope you can find the truck you are looking for!! I think you will be very happy with a Dodge. There are several little things that I would recommend you fix / change on it but that is relatively easy and we can help you with all of that. I would recommend getting rid of the check valve in the tranny cooler line up near the cooler (I would be willing to be that the ones that were working just fine and 'all of a sudden' blew up were because of this check valve cutting off the flow of oil through the cooler. Even running empty, you must have oil flowing through the cooler!). I would recommend at least a shift kit for the trans valve body. This will cure the couple of problems you will notice in an OEM trans. There are about two places where the wiring in the engine compartment can get rubbed and grounded and cause problems. Right now the only other thing I can remember is that I changed the coolant overflow / reservoir so that it won't spill coolant out even when driving gently. I think you will enjoy your new Dodge truck!!!

(In Wendell the broker there is advertising an '08 with only 26,k on it with everything you asked for [well, except for the 5.9L] but they want $35,k.......)