Dave

60s scout

I have been working with my nephews on getting a 60s model 4 cylinder scout of theirs running and have been trying to figure out where the number one position is on the distributor. Any advice on where to find that information would help.

tbh, it can be anywhere as you don't know who has done what to it. The safest bet is to find tdc of cylinder no.1. You can do this by pulling number 1 spark plug, wadding up a piece of tissue and stuffing it in the spark plug hole. Rotate the engine (by hand) til the compression pushes out the tissue, then stick a long thin screwdriver in the spark plug hole as a feeler and gently rotate crank til the piston is as tdc The tissue popping out tells you that it is on a firing stroke as the valves are closed, the screwdrive will tell you when the piston is at its top most point of travel. At this point, you should be able to look at the distributor rotor and distinguish which plug wire it is pointing at. Good luck

Are you sure it's a 1960? What I can find is the IH Scout came out in late 60 with a modle year as 61.

The original Scout was created as a competitor to the Jeep.

The Scout was developed and ultimately produced in less than two years time -- a remarkable achievement in the automotive industry in the 60's.

The Scout line was formally introduced to the public on January 18, 1961.

The first Scout to roll off the production line was available in both 2WD and 4WD versions. The engine was a 93 hp 4 cylinder engine, with 3 speed, floor mounted transmission.

In 1967, the first Scout V-8 was built, powered with a 266 cubic inch engine. Scout 80

Scout 80 was the model designation for the early model Scouts (1961-mid-1965). They had sliding windows, a 152 4 cyl. engine, a fold-down windshield, vacuum windshield wipers at the top of the windshield and an IH logo in the center of the grill.

I'm still looking for a manual that might show something for you.

I was guessing at the year ranges they might even be 70s models he bought 4 of them for scrap that tissue paper idea might work. the area is under the generator and its tight thanks will try this

There seems to be alot of variables to the years. You might try to narrow down the years and go fro manuals from ebay. There was a few of them there as well as a few reprintings of factory manuals.

like I said, you don't know whats been done to it previously. Someone could very likely have had the distributor out and not put it back in in the position the manual calls for. As long as no. 1 piston will still build compression, the tissue paper will work. If it won't build enough compression for the tissue paper to work, you have bigger problems.

thanks badboy we got it running today I used the tissue paper but it didnt have enough compression while turning it over by hand to pop the paper out, so pulled the valve cover to find the compression stroke and used a rod like you said to bring it to TDC I had had it timed right so I was bummed. I put some oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes cranked it over 25+ times and the rings must have let loose, suddenly had compression in that hole.

we got it fired up and that made my cousins real happy we have been tinkering on this for about 4 sundays they were starting to lose interest they are 11 and 13, I wish I had a scout when I was that age:lol:

We then moved on to the next project something was wrong with the shifting forks, the tranny was stuck in reverse so they pulled out the seat and removed the sheet metal over the tranny and opened up the top of the transmission. one of the hardened roll pins had come out and ran through the gears chipping one fairly bad so we improvised and installed a bolt, nut and welder combination in there. (just left the chipped gear if its an issue we will deal with it later), worked great after that. Next week we are going to be fixing and bleeding brakes and putting on tires, hopefully be rolling next week, we will see how corroded the fuel tanks and pump are.

Edited by Dave