powersmoke

ZF 5 spd manual

I am not sure what parts I would need. I know I have a bearing out. It makes a tremendous noise. and also the synco's in some gears are really stiff. I cant afford a reman and the salvage yard here in Emmett want 1500 for a used one. But this will be my 3rd tranny and i only get about 180000 out of one so I am not sure about going used. What would a reman cost from you lumpdog. I can remove and replace? Thanks, Scott......I don't know if I could rebuild it my self or not..any rebuild or parts break down would be helpful.

ZF's are very particular about having preload on the the mainshafts be right. It sounds like worn mainshaft bearings very likely are the start of your internal issues. I have seen lots of shops and builders slap these trans together without checking the preload. It takes quite a bit of extra time to do it right, and is worth it in the long run. Running synthetic ATF in these is a must as well.

I can get you whatever parts you want, but I really need to know what you are looking for. I'll PM you on some of that.

The preload was a concern of mine when they put this tranny in. Even tho it was a reman I thought it had to much torque rattle in the lower gears. That was the concern I had with me doing it myself. Some thing are better left to some one who knows what their doing:shock:. I have always had manual tranny's and have never had any touble until this truck. I hope I can get it down to you late April early May. I don't want to drive it much more in fear of damage to main shaft or other more expensive parts. I just bought a 68 GMC 2x4 long box. So I wouldn't have to drive my big truck so much. Thank's Chris... I will keep in touch, Scott

Way to go guys!!

Keep us updated: Don't forget the 'BOMBER's transport' if you need help getting it down to Chris!! If I'm up there I would gladly grab it and drop it off to Chris on my way home!

Here you go, detail pics.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know much about these trannys? I have shifter slop, is it just the 2 platics bushings (067 in the pic) that I need to replace or the whole lower shifter (990 in pic)?

s5-47-2012.pdf

post-5490-145494332043_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure those (067) are your problem. If they're cracked, gone, worn down, or the openings are elongated, the shifter will feel sloppy due to the extra movement the "upper" shifter makes before the "lower" shifter responds.

If replacing those doesn't correct the sloppiness, call Lumpdog for more advice.

Well Ive got my shifter apart. Where the two plastic pieces go on either side of the shifter, it is actually worn into the lower shifter mechanism. The rectangular piece that allows the shifter to pivot looks like brass, quite soft. So I have new platic bushing but not going to do me any good, so looks like I need a new lower shifter mechanism. Calling Idaho Transmission Warehouse on Monday, they got me all the other parts I needed.

Also, on a side note, these shifter mechanisms are luibed by ATF. My boot was all tore up, and fluid would splash out creating a slow leak, I could smell ATF in the cab. Will post pics of the whole overhaul procedure once i am done.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found