dctoner

Fuel Vent Mod

Fuel Vent Mod

I'm looking to do this mod, and I'm more of a DIY type person.

Does anyone know where a bulk head fitting could be purchased in the TF area?

I have only topped off the truck once and it took way to long to fill the beast up to the point where I could see fuel in the neck.

Yes! Either Floyd Lilly Co. or The Steam Store!!! I have a list if you want it......

Give me a ring if you need any help: seven 3four 5Onine seven and I'll see what I can do!!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk....

It sucks trying to fill a stock truck!! With this mod you can fill with nozzle on full blast until it clicks off. Then just a little more (maybe 2 minutes tops) and you will have fuel standing in the pipe!

Basically you move the vent to the rear of the tank (to the highest part of the tank) by installing a bulk head fitting there and connecting the vent hose to it. Then cap off the original 'bulk head' fitting and you are done...

I'll try to post up a link to my pics and a list of parts soon!! You will want to pull the tank (some pull the bed off... Not me!) so plan it when your tank is low on fuel!

Millco,

I'm familiar with the steam store and might find some time today to go pick up the supplies. I might need to pull my bed, it might be a while before I empty my tank since I drive my car back and forth to work.

I will give you a call if I need a hand, thanks for the offer.

Your parts list would be handy.

Thanks.

I would have sworn I bought mine at the Steam Store. Mine is black plastic (Nylon?) that is rated for diesel fuel. You want it in 3/4" because that is what size the hose already is . . . .

Here is a link to my photo's: https://picasaweb.google.com/109567695796464217562/TankRemovalAndImprovedVentInstallation?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Try here to see my other albums on Picasa: https://picasaweb.google.com/109567695796464217562/New12FuelPickupTubeInstall?authuser=0&feat=directlink

The vent mod is pretty simple: You need the bulk head fitting in 3/4" and a material compatible with diesel. Some new 3/4" rubber hose (I think it is around 36" but I will check to see if I have that measurement so you will know for sure how much to get.) And you need a 3/4" 'Vacuum Cap' to plug off the old vent location. That should be it!! (Unless you want to do some other mods at the same time like add a 1/2" draw straw to your tank for an upgraded lift pump!)

Only other thing I did was to put JB Weld around the fitting to help make sure it didn't leak in the future!

I'm reasonably sure that won't work.... I think it would just defeat any improvement. I believe how it works or what it does by moving the vent from the middle of the tank (Which is also the middle of how tall or high the top of the tank is. The lowest part of the tank is all the way forward and the highest is the rear.) to the rear and highest part of the tank is to allow all the foam from filling to keep rising until it gets trapped in the rear section of the tank and not pushed up the vent hose until the very end of filling.

The reason I don't think it would help to 'tee' it into the factory bulk head fitting is that it would allow foam to come up in the vent hose before the tank is close to full and I think that you would still be fighting foam for the last few gallons as you top off the tank (Just like filling an OEM tank . . . . ).

I put in a tee in my modified vent hose so I could plumb in the bypass from my regulator on my 'new' lift pump. Well..... First time I filled it after this I got diesel blown back in my face! Got it all over my pants and shoes and even made a puddle on the ground. I was not too impressed. I assumed it was because there was fuel puddled in the vent hose from the lift pump because it got better as time went on and after a couple of minutes I could fill up normally. Second time I filled the truck I forgot about waiting and hadn't even shut off the truck because I only needed a few gallons. Well, I took a diesel bath again; so I shut it down and waited until I could fill it up normally. (So, I will be re-doing mine again so I can get it back to filling up quickly again!)

Dan,

Now you have me curious, where did you put your "T" in the stock vent tube?

This is where I got the idea. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-forum-no-engine-transmission-discussions/102655-i-solved-slow-fillup-problem-my-03-a.html

Tell me what you think of this theory,

2 Vents in the tank

1st vent in the stock location removed from the fill neck location down to a "T" about half way between the neck and the tank of the 1 1/2" fill tube. This will provide a path for the foaming fuel to dissipate, and if it fills up the vent line, the foam will be hit with more liquid fuel as the tank is being filled.

2nd vent line installed at the high point of the tank will run to the stock location that connects to the fuel neck.

This should provide plenty of air flow to allow the tank to be filled up quickly and a loop to dissipate the foam with out bringing it back up the neck.

The "T" would be similar to this design by FASS

picture.php?albumid=87&pictureid=928

Interesting! It would be worth a try I think.... I assumed you would just tee it into the 3/4" hose that is already the vent (Just adding a new Bulkhead fitting to the highest part of the tank and teeing both bulkheads together and then up to the OEM vent fitting.).

I replaced the 3/4" OEM hose with a very heavy one to run to the new Bulkhead fitting for a new vent. And I just blocked off the OEM fitting on the tank. I did this some years ago.

When I added my lift pump a few weeks ago, I just cut into that 3/4" hose just inside the frame tube and added a tee for the return from my regulator. Since in all these years I have never had a problem fueling my truck until I put the tee in there, I'm sure that is my problem. What I want to do for this return fuel flow is to run a tube down to the bottom of the tank to keep from adding very much air to my fuel. Diesel fuel doesn't 'hold' air very well at all but I might as well as limit as much aeration as I can. I do know that I have to get the fuel return out of that vent hose. It is a real pain to fuel this truck right now and I'm not used to having this problem (Every time I have fueled it in the last few weeks I have managed to get a puddle on the ground! :wall:$$$$$$ :wall: )

I tried to get you a link to the rest of my albums on Picasa. See if this works:

https://picasaweb.google.com/109567695796464217562?feat=email

Does this get you to Photobucket?

Dan,

You assumed correctly, but your experience made me think of this new idea of "T'ing" into the fill tube.

You might want to consider unblocking the OEM fitting on the tank and pluming your pump return to it, with the possibility of putting a straw on it. The only possible issue I can see with the straw is that will create back pressure to the pump.

Links worked, you have some great pics.

Thanks! Glad the links worked!!

I want to put the return in a place like that and I do want to put a straw in there clear to the bottom (this would prevent putting air in the fuel!). Only problems I see are:

1) that is a very sharp 90 degree fitting so I don't see any way of getting a piece of tubing through it.

2) and I think tubing there might be close to the fuel gauge float and I wouldn't want to be messing it up!

In all truthfulness I really didn't want to pull my tank again to fix these two issues! It is starting to look like that is what I'll have to do though.....

Found out that Floyd Lilly has the bulkhead and elbow (thanks Dan), so I will have to find some time to go get those parts. Just built the fill tube T. After I collect the rest of the parts I should be ready for the install.

Here is the pic of the T

picture.php?albumid=87&pictureid=946