Darn right!!

I plan on checking into swapping out my hubs from 6 hole to 8 so all my rigs can use the same wheel / tire combo!! I think this would be a good upgrade!

Another upgrade I have planned is some LED lighting for at least what we use most of the time (like the stove and sink lighting). Since they are spendy I'll probably only do a little here and there after that.

One upgrade I did that I really like was adding those catalytic heaters so now we don't have to use the furnace at all!! Should I post that mod up here?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk....

Why Not... Kind of like my simple few...

Custom Wheel Cocks/Brake

attachment.php?attachmentid=5247&stc=1&d=1330718656

attachment.php?attachmentid=5248&stc=1&d=1330718656

Interior Battery Cutoff and Volt Meter. Nice for those time your going to leave your RV at a camp site for a few days and you want to be sure all the battery draws are off and no one can tamper with it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5249&stc=1&d=1330718656

attachment.php?attachmentid=5250&stc=1&d=1330718656

post-5354-145494323118_thumb.jpg

post-5354-145494323136_thumb.jpg

post-5354-145494323149_thumb.jpg

post-5354-145494323162_thumb.jpg

I want to add multiple batteries for extending outings. And...I like the Interior Battery Cutoff / Voltmeter setup you did Mike. What is involved in installing those items?

I'd also like to upgrade to the LED lights, too...interior and exterior.

Upgrading the axle lugs to match the truck's wheel/tire combo is a great idea. I'd like to have the trailer lifted an inch or two to level it more when in tow-mode.

Damn...gotta go to work now.

oh wow!!!!!!!!!! perfect thread and perfect timing. rocking R just did some good things to my little RV :rv:

i have done many of the aforementioned BOMB's to my past rigs. i need to go down the list and post details.......

i look fwd to this thread :ok: dustin the cell cam off :ok:

Bumpin' to bring life back to this thread.

I want to hear more about RV mods... What you've done what work and what doesn't... I'm new to the travel trailer relm but not new to RV's... But there has been about 10 years I've been out of the RV loop so I'm wanting to learn more of what works and what doesn't...

You look at sites like CampingWorld and all the cheap junk (not in price) that they can sell you for your RV.

I tend to look at the RV as a mini-home or mini-stick home that isn't archored to the ground nor is it tied to water or electric permanently. You can hitch it up and move it.

So the more I keep relizing this the more I tend to move away from RV stores / dealer and more of looking in HomeDepot for thing like faucets, etc. Thing to make the RV custom my way. But once again certain things don't fit so I lean on you guys to teach me what does and what doesn't work. :ok:

Well, speaking of faucets...I replaced my old plastic leaking OEM faucet with this model from Lowe's. The picture is huge, but it helps to show the detail of the faucet. The sprayer is a bonus because the hose is long enough to reach all four burner on the stove. That makes it really nice when filling the cooking pots with water.

picture.php?albumid=54&pictureid=400

This is my gallery:

Edited by IDMooseMan
Added gallery link

Talking about LED lites to replace the bulbs, I found a place that had a set of two for 12 or 15 bucks. The only problem was it was from the mfg over in China. I've yet to pull the trigger on the buy due to the location of origin. But it sure as hell beats the price of one at camping world. IIRC it was 27 bucks for one. And also from China.

Lighting is a sore subject on any RV forum... I love the lighting in my RV but the RV batteries don't...

What we actually done is got a small table lamp and fitted it with a 8W compact floresent bulb and plug into that into the 400W inverter for lighting... I know there is conversion loses but I got to admit that 1 lamp lights the living area sweet and goes for hours!

Here is a updated album of mine too...

http://idahoturbodiesels.com/vb/album.php?albumid=22

Edited by Mopar1973Man

(One upgrade I did that I really like was adding those catalytic heaters so now we don't have to use the furnace at all!! Should I post that mod up here?)

More info please

cool........ please do!!!!!!!!!!!

i also run the cat heaters on all my rv's... my little trailer i have now i am running 2 wave 3's.. nice and cozy and minimal lpg use and no batt use.... :ok:

post-4-145494323835_thumb.jpg

Edited by MUDDY

I found some of the led bulbs on ebay. The mfg I had book marked was on my now dead laptop. The ones on ebay are a bulk of 50 1156 bulbs for $229.99 or for $4.599 each. That is for the little fixture with 18 SMD for a total of 216LM. A standard buld puts out around 400LM when new. The pwoer is about 9 to one. Or you can run 9 LED bulbs for one standard. That can be a huge power savings when dry camping.

Anyone want to get in on a group buy?

You guys post up links to these LEDs!! I think I have some ideas that we all can use....

I'll get in my pics and write up some about those cat heaters. They are awesome!

In fact, I'll make a list of little things I have done here and there. You might want to do some of them as well!!

I do want to ask what everyone is doing for these new OPD LP bottles? Mine seem to leak badly at the bottles and I can't seem to stop it. We put my boy up in ours over Christmas break and lost one whole 30LB bottle in about 24 HRs... I wasn't very happy!!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk....

Mine have the old connections but there is o rings on the end. I just replaced the o rings. I had some that were from rocket motors that fit nicly. I think I still have a big bag of once used o rings and nozzles around here somewhere. But they didn't leak from the start I just didn't like the way they looked.

Link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50PCS-1156-BA15S-RV-TRAILER-CAR-SIGNAL-12V-LED-LIGHT-BULBS-BULB-18-SMD-5050-/230740220074?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b93058aa&vxp=mtr

My trailer is a 2002 and I had to replace the hoses that went to the tanks because they were leaking. Took me almost two tanks to figure where the leak was. :wall:

Might be worth checking.

Wait a minute...it's only been three days and the price has jumped to $299.99 already. What's up with that? I haven't even determined how many I would need, plus spares.

Should I be concerned with the packaging be Japanese? I'm wondering if these LED bulbs meet whatever safety requirements need to be met for use in the USA.

John, can you find out what's going on with the price jump? Or did you mis-type the price in your previous post?

I had a blond moment when it came to price. I mis read the price from one post to the other.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50PCS-1156-BA15S-RV-TRAILER-CAR-SIGNAL-12V-LED-LIGHT-BULBS-BULB-13-SMD-5050-/230740220024?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b9305878&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50PCS-1156-BA15S-RV-TRAILER-CAR-SIGNAL-12V-LED-LIGHT-BULBS-BULB-18-SMD-5050-/230740220074?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b93058aa&vxp=mtr

I know all I need is 12 for the whole trailer. But I can get away with only 8 or 10 of them as we only use certain lights.

I bet they comply with the regs for use in the US. As for the packageing, there's no worries. The bulk looks like it comes all together not in the pair packaging. So you don't need to get Rosetta Stone for Mandarin just yet.:)

That's a 'sore' subject: I almost feel like we will all soon need to be learning chinese.... YUCK!!!!

The only concern I would have with these is that they are made in china! My only concern being that would tend to make them JUNK!! My typical comment is that you can tell it is from china if taking it out of the package breaks it!!!

Now, if it truely is from Japan!! Their stuff is great and you should expect it to be well made and last for a long time as well as doing it's intended job wonderfully!!

These Wave heaters are perfect for keeping the RV heated! They use no electricity what so ever! They have no vent or chimney to the outside (You are required to keep a window cracked open to let fresh air in [preferably down low] and a window or a roof vent cracked open to let the moisture and oxygen less air out [ a roof vent works perfectly because it is up high]). These things supposedly don't produce any bad fumes but they do burn up the oxygen from the air. Because of that and because of all the moisture that is produced from burning fuel is why they require you to use these with a fresh air source. I can't remember the 'formula' in the manual but I usually just crack a window about 1/2" to 1" and so far that has been just fine. Both my wife and I are sensitive to fumes and such and these things haven't bothered us at all so I would think that most all of you could use them just fine also!

If you were to stand in the left rear corner of my toy hauler and look forward from here in this pic:

LtRear.jpg

Then you would see the Wave 8 I installed in the main part of the toy hauler just inside the front door. That walk in door is on the right just in front of the refrigerator. (The heater is mounted on the back wall of the bathroom):

MainHtr.jpg

I was a little concerned about where to mount this heater. I didn't want it to radiate heat to the refrigerator and warm it up any at all. I wound up hooking the heater up to a flex hose and a 20 LB bottle and test firing it in different positions inside before deciding on a mounting place for it. This worked extremely well!!! Come to find out, this heater where I put it doesn't heat the refrigerator at all. I would have to measure for sure but it is only about 2 feet from the fridge! Using this wall made my 'plumbing' extremely easier also! I put a tee in the RV's propane line under the tub and ran up through the floor there:

LPLine.jpg

Then under the tub I tee'd off again to run back to the big heater (the Wave 8) and forward to the smaller Wave 3 I put in the Master Bedroom. (The front wall of the bathroom is the rear wall of that front bed room):

LPLineUnderTub2.jpg

Here is the line coming out from under the tub and up the wall (This is toward the front of the RV from the toilet) to the front bedroom heater:

BathroomLPLine.jpg

The nice thing about copper is it's ease of use in fitting it into what you need!! And then this is the small heater in the front bedroom (On the back wall of the bedroom). I hung it high enough up on the wall that it won't heat up the bed or bedding. The 'walk way' between the bed and the back wall right there is pretty slim. I would have to measure that but I got it high enough that it doesn't heat up the bed at all so it is safe to use even if you are asleep!:

FrontBedroom.jpg

This will give you and idea of what the rest of the bath looks like. To the right (Basically just inboard of the toilet paper holder) is the back wall of the bathroom where the big heater is mounted in the open part of the RV.

BathroomTub.jpg

And another shot looking forward from the main area of the toy hauler looking into the bathroom and then the front bedroom:

FrontLeftLower.jpg

It would have been easier for me to mount the big heater either by the stove and range or over on the other side by the refrigerator because there is already LP plumbed in these areas. I almost did mount it in either of these areas but because I was having a hard time gaining the clearance I wanted from bedding and the refrigerator, I chose the front wall instead. If you run into having to mount yours in an area like that, remember that you can even mount these on a backing plate and hinge that on the wall with a piano hinge. If you do that you can swing the heater out for use and then swing it back against the wall for storage. It is perfectly fine to mount these with an LP rubber hose. Another option is that these come with an optional kit to put legs on them so you can use them free standing.

I prefer to mount it like I did because I don't have to set it up or take it down or worry about someone having to move around or past it while it is in use. It isn't a big deal but I also don't have to take time to set it up or take it down each time. Just a couple of things to think about if you are looking to mount one of these in your trailer.

My wife and I used the trailer late one Nov a couple of years ago. If I remember right it was under 20F out at night and not above 30F during the day. The two of these kept us perfectly comfortable the whole time!! This is what we awoke to and leave in on the way out of there:

IMG00496.jpg

If you guys have any questions just ask away. I would be glad to help in any way I can! These can be had at a lot of places like Camping World (Here is the little Wave 3 on sale for $270!) and even Amazon. I didn't know how well they work so I chose to buy them used off CraigList. I was just wanting to save a little money and I figured if I didn't like them I could always re-sell them for about the same money. After having them, I can tell you all that they are definitely worth even full retail!! I can pretty well promise you won't be disappointed!! (If you do buy used I would recommend that you get one that has had very little use. My big one doesn't seem to run on high and I don't know if it is needing a rebuild or not. These can be rebuilt but it is just over half the cost of a new one to have that done. I don't know if mine has a problem or not but I can't tell any difference between medium and high heat. ?)

The Wave 3 puts out 1,600 on low up to 3,000 BTU on high. There is a Wave 6 (3,200 to 6,000 BTU) and then the largest is the Wave 8 (4,200 to 8,000 BTU).

Here are some of the quick specs and features:

1. Need no chimney or installed vent.

2. Have their own ignitor (Self-generating piezo starter push button).

3. Completely self contained. Needs no electricity and is very efficient on propane use.

4. Almost silent operation!

5. Flameless glow that radiates the heat out.

6. Can be used in or outside. Can be mounted permanently or used portable.

7. Operates up to about 12,000 Foot.

It is so nice to not have to use the furnace anymore!! I don't have my batteries being drained during the night anymore and I enjoy the silence too!! Our Desert Fox toy hauler is a 4 Seasons model and is supposed to be insulated well (The roof appears to be over 8" thick!). We have never had to but I always figured the furnace can be used as back up to these catalytic heaters if it ever gets that cold out. This was a great mod and I can recommend it to all of you!!

Thanks! Glad to share!!

Sorry the pics are so bad... Guess a guy should not 'give' away his favorite camera!! I would sure like to break that person's neck!! I guess that is as good as that camcorder can do for stills.....

Anyway, here is a link to that whole album if you wanted to look at any more pics:

Millco on Photobucket: 2004 Desert Fox Toy Hauler

Dan, I was looking at the ones at CW and they were made in China as well. Not every thing comeing over on boat is complete junk.

Years ago I thought Japanese was the speak to know. Then Chinese up until a few years ago. Now with the Arabs buying up so much of the US, I think the differant dialects of such is the needed speak to know. Damn that Rosetta Stone!

I get some stuff from http://www.adventurerv.net/

A mod I consider a "must" for bigger trailers is adding a third set of stabilizers just ahead of the axles. Next I'll add the bracing to the stabilizers.

I remove the drain plug from the water heater and add a small ball valve. Quicker draining, and you can use the valve for washing your hands outside. If you have an anode there you just need to add a "T" to screw the anode into the end, and port the valve on the side.

A catalytic would be nice, but we don't do any winter camping (can't XR in the snow, donchano!).

LEDs are also a must.