Relentless70

1st Gen Hood Stack Build

I've been doing some research regarding the legalities of building a hood stack for my '92 D350. Seems Idaho law says its ok, so long as the exhaust gases exit above the cab. An ISP who pulled me over for going too fast(me...going too fast? Who da thunk it ROFL) said he did not know of any law prohibiting a hood stack in Idaho. His concern was mainly visual obstruction. So, with those thoughts in mind, I'm working on a hood stack for my rig. I'll post pics as I make progress.

had one on my truck for a couple of weeks, was about 8 inches shorter than the cab kind of miss it. It looks really cool from inside. Passenger window had to stay up at stop signs thou to much soot drifted inside.

Thank you for the reply! I didn't even consider that possibility. I'll have to keep an eye on that issue. Worst case scenario, I'll install a cowl induction type scoop on my hood and re-install my old exhaust system. Until then, onward and upward ROFL!

hell yeah scott............ i was hopin ya would post details. :ok:

i am interested and want to do this. as to legality, that was a big worry before when i planned on this. over the top of the cab then...... between 2 and 11 feet ya cant have it straight out to the site. angled back ya will be safe.

i have a woody for this. :ok; hell yes scott. :coal:

Started machining the flange for the elbow. I use an old 1936 Reed-Prentiss lathe for this machining. If you have the patience, she still works just fine, just ask Mopar1973man. The mounting flange needs to be 4.4-4.75" OD, 4" ID, .290" thick, and tapered to .150". Taper can be no longer than .120" with my setup.

post-5383-145494323064_thumb.jpg

post-5383-145494323076_thumb.jpg

Started machining the flange for the elbow. I use an old 1936 Reed-Prentiss lathe for this machining. If you have the patience, she still works just fine, just ask Mopar1973man. The mounting flange needs to be 4.4-4.75" OD, 4" ID, .290" thick, and tapered to .150". Taper can be no longer than .120" with my setup.

No joke... I showed up with my brake rotors and had Relentless70's Dad turn them for me. They are true flat rotors now. Not to mention it took nearly all day but it a perfect set of rotors...

I've seen his elbow a while back while he was just welding it up. Hey Relentless you need to show the special tool for cutting round tube in angles. Remember?! These guys have some impressive tools thats for sure! 8-)

Flange is tacked to the elbow in this pic. I ran out of carbon dioxide for my MIG welder....otherwise I would have welded the flange all the way around. BTW, I'm at a perfect 90 degrees now :). Tomorrow I'll run to McCall and pick up another 5 lbs of dry ice so I can finish all my welding on the stack.

For those of you that use a MIG welder with carbon dioxide, you can substitute dry ice instead of taking your bottle to Norco or Airgas. I do the dry ice method because the closest Airgas or Norco shop is 140 miles away. 10 lbs of dry ice will give you 700-800 lbs bottle pressure, and costs $15.

post-5383-145494323224_thumb.jpg

post-5383-145494323238_thumb.jpg

that is friggin BOSS !!!!!!!!!!! :ok:

you need to make duplicates..... and triplicates...... at least duplicates.... :think:

my W-250 whispered in my ear that he wants a hood stack. :ok

:coal

LMAO MUDDY! I thought I heard your W250 say the same thing to me :). I just finished welding up the flange to the elbow, and I had to add a piece of pipe to the leftover pipe I purchased from NAPA. If it weren't for the rust on the additional pipe, you would not be able to tell I welded another piece to the leftover pipe.

post-5383-145494323299_thumb.jpg

post-5383-145494323311_thumb.jpg