marsingbob

HD Steering conversion

I need to replace almost all tie rod ends in my 96 and think it may be worth it to convert to the HD 98 "T" steering linkage. Any experience here with it? Any source for good prices? Seems like ebay has imported parts for around $170, any idea for good prices on MOOG?

I hate to say it...but MOOG isn't the quality it once was. I'm having a hard time getting quality parts from most all the previously "quality" associated name brands. Seems like everyone is manufacturing in china, or using their piss poor quality steel in domestic manufacturing.

Finished the steering conversion without major problems. Two issues slowed it down. First a couple of the ends were HARD to get off. Had been there 15 years and 150,000 miles and did not want to let go. Second, I reused the drag link collar and it required more cutting that others described to get the steering wheel centered.

The truck steers really well. I do not know if the "T" steering contributes to this, because the old parts were really bad. Cost with MOOG parts from Amazon was right at $300. Probably no more than replacing the old style parts. Still do not have the steering damper on, and may just forget about it. The old one probably had not worked for years.

I have converted several trucks to the 98 HD steering and it works like a champ. I run the HD steering on my Suburban that I swapped a Dodge axle in, and it steers better than stock.

I typically use the PSC new steering box and the box brace at the same time.

These mods are well worth the time and effort!!!!

Sounds great!! But: :nopics

(My Mega already has it's SECOND steering gear worn out at 75,k total. The 'quality' definitely isn't out there anymore for the most part!)