Now that my project is underway, it was time to move the build thread into the right spot. It was cold with snow flurries most of the day but in the man cave it was warm, with good tunes and a good partner (he's building a 57 Chevy truck). More stuff came off today and I will try and post pictures tomorrow. The goal is to have the frame ready for cutting and welding by the end of the month.

Build Spec so far:

Dana 60 Front w/ 4.11 and Ox Locker

GM 14 Bolt Rear w/ 4.11 and Detroit Locker

Rear disk brake conversion

NP 241 w/ SYE and E-brake

NV 4500 5 speed

Cross over steering

6" lift w/ rear shackle flip

GM 6.5l w/ 250 hp & 500 ft-lbs, all mechanical

37" tires on 17" x 9" rims

Thanks to all who welcomed me.

for sure! i am looking fwd to seeing this build. :ok:

definately sounds like you are using good componants in this project.

looking fwd to the pics and details and cant wait to see the finished project. :ok:

Anyone have any experience with POR 15, Rust Bullet or Chassis Black? The front half of the frame is almost in new condition. The back half has its share of surface rust. It is not worth the trip to Boise to get the frame sandblasted.

POR 15 works fantastic, but, 2 things. Its sensitive to other fluids so avoid contamination and paint over it as soon as its dry. Without sealing it with a topcoat, it won't do what you need it to do. On the other hand, there is a newer line of rustoleum out that I hear works wonders as well.

Retreated into the man cave last night. By the end of the evening the following was accomplished:

Fender liners...............off

Fenders......................off

Clutch master cyl.........off

HVAC, ins. and out.......off

Steering box...............off

Brake, clutch pedal......off

Parking brake..............off

I should be just about tearing stuff off on Saturday and will post new pictures. Then time to order a new body mount kit to align the body and bed to measure up for cutting.:cool:

Unfortunately, Ihave no new pictures. My attempts to hide last Saturday in the man cave, with classic rock fell short with a list of honey-do's.:td: I did get the bed off to assess the frame. After much contemplation, the frame is in really good shape with a surface coating of rust. Saw a suggestion on using a polycarbide disc and it works very well. So I will be doing all the work myself in my shop and not drag the frame down to the low lands to be sandblasted. :cool:

ugh, I hope you have lots of patience...I don't, so I bought a sandblaster years ago. From my perspective, the disc thing was an endless and incomplete endeavor in that I couldn't get in all the places I wanted to. Just my opinion, but I'd get some rustoleum primer and paint, thin it with mineral spirits and spray right over the rust. 3 coats should make it look like a brand new frame and it holds up well.

Thanks for the tip. I would sandblast it...but...it is winter. It would be an all day affair plus gas plus sandblasting. I started this project for several reason...least of which is to provide much needed stress relief (like days when my snow plow drivers leave 3 foot snow berms made up of very wet snow). Overall I would say 60% of the frame does not have any rust. The other 40% is somewhere between light and moderate. I did a test strip last night. It took me about 10 minutes to strip down about 4 foot of frame. I will get as much as I can, then do either rustoleum or some type of encapsulator like POR15 or Chassi Black and the top coat.

I wasn't happy with POR15 at all..... I will have to find out what the name was though that I did try and was much better. In fact, it was so good that I can honestly say you should use it! It is tough and seems to last well!! POR15 seemed to not last a year. Yes I did topcoat it but not within minutes of it drying. I used POR15's topcoat too, so it should have held up if it was going to. I really liked their cleaners, degreasers and strippers though!!

Found it!! Zero Rust Paint is what I was trying to remember. In fact, the last thing I painted a couple of years ago was the new metal battery and TIPM box for my Mega. I just used their rattle cans for that project and it still looks like I just did it. After all the work it takes to clean up a project like you are doing, it sure makes me mad when the paint doesn't last. I feel that the Rustoleum I buy at Wal Mart lasts way better than POR15 did. Since this Zero Rust seems so much better than that, I would surely recommend it. Poke around on their web site and see some of the tests they do to show how tough it is. No one else seems to be holding up to these kinds of test!!

I have heard some not so good things about the rust encapsulators just not lasting. It is why I am going to try and get most of the rust off and if succesfull, prime and then paint.

Inching slowly along. Funny, this Christmas thing is getting in the way. I have been good this year, Santa. I could use line bbbadboy a GEP 6500 and NV4500:rockin:. My daughter is going to be here for several weeks during Christmas and I am going to talk some time off of work for her and I to hang out in the man cave...oops maybe the girl cave, LOL!

you painted your TIPM box?!!!:-o

Well, the new battery / TIPM holding metal box that I made so I can have both batteries over on the drivers side . . . . Since the TIPM itself is plastic (Besides being a 'puter . . . ) I figured it was ok left 'bare'!! ( | )

Would you guys be interested in an NV4500 / T-case from a Cummins truck? I thinks I know where one is and since I don't have the money for that and the axles I might as well 'share'

I was just raz'n ya bout the TIPM painting...didn't figure you'd actually painted the puter. :lol:

the 4500 from behind the cummins has a bigger pilot shaft than what I'm needing, but thank you for the thought.

Yes the P400 is a very good engine...I'd considered that route myself...but have since come up with a build that I think will be better...just takes money and time. If my first run at it works like I think it will, then I'll be able to upgrade a step further and should be able to produce at least 50 hp per cylinder.

I knew you were.... I just had to!

Kind of like if I had replied with: 'I was afraid that NV4500 would have to heavy of duty parts in it for your application'....

But I probably wouldn't because I don't want you to take it the wrong way!

I figure we have to have a little fun with each other here and there!! That and actually helping each other here and there is what makes all this worth while!!