Jezzhuntin

Free Spin Kit

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. I haven't been on much since the move.

But FYI- to any of you that have considered installing a free spin kit, do it. After multiple u-joint replacements, bearings, etc. I decided to put on the Yukon free spin kit, aside from my Carli springs this is the best mod I have done. Came back to the Valley for a late deer tag and Thanksgiving. I picked up almost 3 mpg (hand calc), plus the driveability is much better. I was hesitant to spend the extra $700 over just replacing the old parts. But did some research and calcs, it will pay for itself in under 30k, plus I shouldn't have to do anymore front end repairs anytime soon hopefully not as long as I still own it.

Anyways, just throwing it out there if anyone has been considering it. Also, anyone in my neck of the woods...I found a good diesel shop (Diesel Pros), the owner is an extremely nice guy, went out of his way to meet my needs and timeframe to gets this kit installed. Plus he is very reasonable with his prices. Really hesitant after getting such good service from Pat at Big Twin, but I needed to find someone here.

seems as if it would be worth doing. like ya say pays for itself in the long run and is bound to help with mpg just like on the first gens.

it was a mistake to go away from this to begin with.

it was a mistake to go away from this to begin with.

:wall:That is for sure!! Even if it adds a bit to the purchase price it would be worth it! Why don't they at least offer it to you both ways!!

Even if it didn't save wear and tear. Even if it didn't gain some mileage benefits. What about the times you want / need low range gearing but shouldn't be in 4WD!! That is one of the biggest gripes I have on my Mega in practical, somewhat everyday use!

Gonna have to start saving for this one! Course then there was the idea of just jacking the Mega up and swapping out the axles for some from a 1st or 2nd Gen with some 3.54 gears. That is another whole gripe of mine. When they switched over to the AAM axles they shouldn't have limited gear choices to just 4.10 and 3.73!! At least as of late they finally fixed that mistake (Course that doesn't help anyone who owns a 3rd Gen!).

3.73 is perfect compromise imo....

i think they changed the front end so it would usually be ok till the warranty is up and when it needs work they hope you go back to the daimler/fiat stealership for a dry screwin......

it is a fact that ALL the auto manufacturers have a team to design things that go t.u. after the warranty period for this reason. true fact!!!!!!!!!

remember the 75 thru 79s???????? here we are again. and the superdooty fords are no better except they have a freewheeling hub. bad design.......

like scott did is the best way...... :ok:

What about the times you want / need low range gearing but shouldn't be in 4WD!! That is one of the biggest gripes I have on my Mega in practical, somewhat everyday use!

Funny you say that as most that I read on this kit, was that people loved that they now can throw it into 4WD low without being in 4WD when backing trailers. I think it will also be great on wagon trail mtn roads because 1st gear isn't low enough in a lot of situations and you are constantly riding the brakes.

I was very happy with the shop here as his price installed was almost the same as the cheapest price I could find online. I almost opted for the Dynatrac as they have a stub hub and the Yukon hub sticks out further than I liked. But once it was installed on my rims/tires setup it sticks out just under a 1" past my tire. So I was happy I didn't spend the extra $500 for the Dynatrac.

I think one other reason Dodge went away with it is that people are lazy and don't want to get out of the truck and lock the hubs. But I think they should offer it just like they do on push button 4WD and manual. But like Muddy says it keeps the techs working. As my first set of u joints went out 3k past the regular Dodge warranty. :wall: Those of us that are not buying new trucks every several years it is a good mod, I am just pissed I didn't do it sooner as I could have already paid for it x2. Live and learn...:wall:

. . . .I am just pissed I didn't do it sooner as I could have already paid for it x2. Live and learn...:wall:

This is some good advice for sure!!

I need to order and install some good ball joints on mine as they are going out again. At least this second set made it farther than 10,k!! Maybe I can add this kit to the list!

Yeah, running in low range, 2WD would be great! I'm sure you will notice you use it a lot here and there! With mine being an auto, being able to use the exhaust brake at slow speeds is pretty handy. I just hate having to do it in 4-Low!! If the situation needs it I have been going ahead and using 4-Low anyway but I sure would rather have the choice!

I need to order and install some good ball joints on mine as they are going out again. At least this second set made it farther than 10,k!! Maybe I can add this kit to the list!

I went thru the same, frustrating to say the least. The MOOGS were absolute junk, they were terrible from day one for me. Truck wandered all over the place and they were worn out in less than 10k. I am currently running the XRF's they have been solid for 30k, see how much longer they hold up. I am hearing good stuff about the Dyna Tracs.

That is good to know! My experience has been with whatever Dodge is using for OEM. Shane had a truck almost exactly like my Mega and his were bad at 500 miles!! He told me he almost lost the truck on the freeway at 80 MPH when it went into a death wobble. When he took it back to the dealer they discovered the 'excessively worn' ball joints. I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous!! Even if he had it on the Baja in Mexico for those 500 miles! And mine shouldn't have 'worn' out either because I almost always baby mine like I'm hauling eggs.

The next time I have to change mine will be on my dime (As if spending $40,k for a truck makes the warranty work 'free' . . . . LOL). I will do it myself also so I want to make sure I get some good ones that will last as long as possible.