House hauler

Aluminum Welding

Any one on here know how to weld Aluminum? Have a small jet boat that has some cracked welds. It's a small thin skin and some of the beam support welds are cracked. I don't want to put the new bottom in until this is fixed.

It's a pretty light guage boat. Old rivited Hews Craft. The welds are on the support channels below the wood flooring. You might have to look at it to evaluate. I can drag it to you this weekend or you can come take a look.

That'd likely be TIG (better for pretty welds on delicate stuff). The beastly inboard V-8 "jet" (notice, not I-6 :poke:) boats would be spool (what MIG is called for aluminum, only good for about 0.080" and thicker).

That'd likely be TIG (better for pretty welds on delicate stuff). The beastly inboard V-8 "jet" (notice, not I-6 :poke:) boats would be spool (what MIG is called for aluminum, only good for about 0.080" and thicker).

I know nothing about this stuff. You are welcome to look at it and advise. PM me and we can figure something out for a "look - see".

I've been to James' shop a few times, not as a customer, but I've seen the work he does. I'd trust him to do the work. Definately get in touch with him.