House hauler

Drive shaft greasing

There is a sticker, and the manual, tells me to grease the u joints on the front drive shaft nearest the transfer case. I CANNOT FIND the dang zerk. Now I grew up on a farm and really do know what they look like. Does anyone know where the little bastartdo is hiding?

its not a typical Zerk. you have to get a needle fitting for your grease gun. the little hole is right behind the front U-joint furthest from the transfer case. its kind hard to see. exspecially if its dirty. i found it easier to jack the front tires off the ground put transfer case in neutral so you can rotate the drive shaft. i picked up my needle fitting at NAPA. and filled down the tip. they are sharp! there is a check ball in the grease fitting make sure to push the needle past that..

From your pic it looks like you filed it off at an angle. Is this correct? What was the part number of the needle tip you used?

I have had a few different ones and always seem to have trouble getting grease in there!! Here is what I use . . . (with some success . . . :wall: )

GreeseTip.jpg

I think I would have more success if I could buy a non-Chinese tip!!

Oh! You know those 'q-tips' on a stick: those work good for cleaning in there to grease this little devil! I always just jack up the left front tire and then I can precisely rotate the driveline to try and align the tip to the zerk....

I say 'try to align' because I usually put a dozen or so pumps in there and just kind of give up! Hoping some went in and knowing most of these don't ever even get attempted to be greased.. I have asked a lot of 'technicians' about this over the years and most all of them assure me the sticker is lying.....

the needle i got at napa. dont know the part number off hand. the pic i posted, is before i filed it down. thats why i said its sharp. i filed it down straight. with no point. i believe it is an eightteen gauge needle. ill look tomarrow when i get home to be exact. if your needle is to big to go in the zerk past the check ball then it is hard to get the grease in.

I got the needle set today at NAPA. Set of 2, $7.41 w/tax.

I have yet to try it but I now have two. one for failure, one for success! I think it should work better than the bulky probes. Looks a bit easier to fit in to the joint cavity.

The part number is 700-1193.

I was told these are actually used to grease "sealed" bearings and the like. I now have a tool to give supplimentary grease to the lawn mower "sealed" bearings.:ok:

Thanks for the info guys! The one I showed above is larger than the ball. I just thought it was supposed to seal against the sides of the 'cone' of the zerk and push the ball out of the way (I even bought one tip that has a rubber tip but it is way worse at making a mess so I never use it!). Maybe that is why I can get most of the grease on the outside of that double cardian joint!!

By using a smaller needle and 'stabbing' it down in there, it doesn't ruin the zerk does it?

Jacked her up today, cleaned her off and lubed her up:blush:

STOP! you know what i mean....

The needle had to be ground down flat then slightly rounded off. It wont fit into and past the check ball it just sits up against the fitting. Had to hold it tight but got grease in there. Gave 5 pumps on the gun and saw no grease so gave 5 more. Well... lots of grease now! inside and out! Will have to clean off the 1/2 moon of grease from under the truck after its done slinging out of there. I know better growing up on a farm.:wall:

I cant see how those big tips could even fit in there.....

Don't feel bad! I figure all that extra is just 'undercoating' to help prevent rust!!

I should mention that it will take a few pumps but if you watch in the middle of the joint you can see it come out when it is full. But this will result in some being flung under there when you drive off..... Hopefully it will make it last forever! . . . .

Good point! I use "water proof" grease!

I was just so happy to get a good seal on that micorscopic orifice with the needle I thouggt "get some in there". Ha Ha.

The way I grew up was... "it aint done till its flingin".