97cummins

fuel tank sending unit?

What is the life span of a fuel tank sending unit? Mines been giving me screwy readings on my fuel gauge.the title says lift pump,I meant fuel tank sending unit.

there really isn't a life span to them, tho I'd have to say that probly most of the dodge trucks never have issues with them. Thats not to say that there aren't some that are just pieces of crap. Its like everything else, theres always a couple bad apples in the bunch. I worked for Dodge for roughly 10yrs and did see a few of those sending units go bad, but in the grand scope of how many of those trucks I worked on...it was very few.

You can fix that pretty cheap, my 97 was doing that when I first got it. I read through JoeG's fuel system writeup, but I couldn't get the tension on the spring right for what I wanted, so I just ended up grinding down the metal blcoking tab a bit, flipped it backwards, and just put a round washer underneath it, between the tab and the lever arm. It gave me just enough tension to allow the float to move freely, and it quit giving me random fuel readings.

Here's the link

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-engine/58777-joe-gs-fuel-system-writeup.html

Nah..... You were just checking to see if anyone noticed that was your original post! LOL

(Actually I was wondering if you had a case of the 'Old Timers' going strong about now.....) . . . . :popcorn:

Nah..... You were just checking to see if anyone noticed that was your original post! LOL

(Actually I was wondering if you had a case of the 'Old Timers' going strong about now.....) . . . . :popcorn:

:lol:yup