cumminsman95

going to git a 94 6.5 turbo diesel

Hey y'all im gitting a 94 chevy with a 6.5 in it and a 5 speed the only prob is its been sitting for 6 years my qwestion is what I shuld look at and what im probly going to have to replace

just my personal opinion...and I'm a 6.2/6.5 fan...I wouldn't own a '94 unless it had upgrades done to remedy the bugs with the PMD and IP, not to mention that a Turbomaster is pretty much mandatory. '94 was the first model year of the electronically controlled injection...and dam did they have probs.

yes, aftermarket PMD and turbomaster. I would highly recommend getting an aftermarket PMD as the factory units were plagued with problems. And definately relocate it from the pump to the top of the engine somewhere, maybe on the cover attached to a large heatsink. There are several other things can be done, but like with any other diesel, you have to be wary of EGT's. With the 6.5/6.2s its unwise to bump up the fuel too much with injectors, PMD, without opening up exhaust and intake

pump mounted driver...as implied, it is the electronic driver for the IP and its mounted on the side of the IP. It gets very hot and subsequently dies leaving your truck..dead. Get an aftermarket pmd and relocate it, just make sure you have a very good heatsink mounted to it.

If you have or can get a good heatsink you can just relocate it without the kit. But the heatsink is critical as without enough cooling on the PMD, not even aftermarket PMD's will live long.

As BB says it needs to be out of the engine bay all together. The heat rising up from the engine will cause it to fail. Just not as quick as on the IP. You can get a good heat sink with cable and pmd from a guy in Florida off flea bay. A good Heath chip can bring you more power. I have a HyperTech chip and it is crap. Yeah it has more power than stock but they are known to cause over heating of components and have been linked to head gasket failures. I had to replace my gaskets when I started pulling some weight. Never seen any over heating issues but it was after pulling the fiver.

I lost the kitty and husher with 4" to 5" stacks. If you like your radio loud or don't mind the drone they are a nice touch. I love the look of mine but the drone anoys me. But the wife likes it. When you open up that exhaust you need to open up the intake too. Get rid od the snorkel in the fender and put a freer flowing airfilter on it too. Makes a huge dif.

And if you want to keep it cooler, you can add water injection on it. On my recent trip here from Oregon I was flowing 3gph @4psi boost. I toggled in for another 8gph when needed and only once did I forget to pour the water to it and seen egt of 1150*.

And you can put other mods on as time and funds allow. I have most of them installed and makes for a more reliable pick up.