MLR1

New gauge pod finished!

Just finished the new center pod for the truck and thought I would post some shots. I thought it turned out well 8-) .

DP1.jpg

You can see the previous one in the upper right. It was only built for 2 gauges and without the TST remote provision.

DP10.jpg

DP14.jpg

DP17.jpg

DP18.jpg

Forgive me on that last one....I couldn't hold still enough. :-?

Max

Did you make that yourself? Got any details on how you did it? That looks pretty slick. :thumbup:

BTW, nice tennis ball :)

Yep 100% home made. First I built a couple of wood templates for the outer shape. You can see them in the first pic. One on the tape and one under the wax paper. Then I figured out how far I wanted it to stick off the dash and built a spacer between the templates (under wax paper). Next I wrapped the template with aluminum foil. Then stretched non backed trunk liner carpet over the mold and stapled. This takes some stretching to get it to conform without making folds. Then I mixed fiberglass resin and throughly saturated the carpet, except on the end with the staples. After that dries you can remove the mold from the hardened carpet (that is where the aluminum foil comes into play ;-) ). Then I cut the sides out to conform to the dash. Then I wrapped the dash with foil and taped some carpet over the foil. Now I positioned the pod over the dash and applied resin to bond the pod to the carpet on the dash. After the resin cures the foil will allow the pod and base to be removed from the dash without damaging the plastic. All that is left is application of bondo and smoothing out all of the imperfections. Cut your holes and paint to desired finish. Here are some more shots of the first pod I built that might help with the process.

Here is the pod being mated to the carpet that will form the base.

Img0124.jpg

Here is the pod and base after the resin has cured.

Img0125.jpg

Here is a shot of the new pod with the sides cut out to fit the dash.

DP6.jpg

HTH

Max

Guest ShanesLB7

Hells yeah. Here is a pic of my grab handle dual pod I am working on!

Looks good and clean. How did you get your bondo so smooth??

Shane

dscn0525rz5.jpg

Thanks for the kudos guys! :) I am very happy with the way this one turned out. The first one I built, I made the angle a tad wrong and couldn't read the gauges very well. I can read them just fine with this one and the TST is a whole bunch easier to run.

Shane, as for the bondo, it takes some practice on how you apply it to help get it smooth. The prep work on the base material is crucial as well. The smoother the base the easier the bondo will go. From there it will just require a bit (or ton) of sanding. I start with 80 then 150 followed by 400 grit. Then I prime it and sand with 600 before the final coat. That pillar you are working on looks great by the way. I think you are on your way to a fantastic mount! :thumbup:

HTH

Max

By the way did you get my PM about the CD?

Max...that is so awesome....

Your Dipricols look great too!! What beautiful guages, I just wish they made a 0-60 FP guage for my 12V.

Guest 9812VCTD

Max,

You got that pod done quick, and it looks great!:thumbup: :thumbup:

Justin

It only took 4 nights after work and part of a Sunday to get it done. The worst part is waiting for the fiberglass to dry. That and sanding takes the most time, but well worth it in the end. 8-)

Guest ShanesLB7
It only took 4 nights after work and part of a Sunday to get it done. The worst part is waiting for the fiberglass to dry. That and sanding takes the most time, but well worth it in the end. 8-)

Very true!!! That's about what i have into mine..

Here's another creation I'm working on!!

quadmf3.jpg

That 4 gauge pillar is looking good! :thumbup: I will be building one of those as well in the near future. I think I am trying to make it look like an airplane dash! :lol:

Guest Mopar1973Man

Nice job on the custom built pods! Wow! Some really creative people out there! :thumbup:

Guest ShanesLB7
Here's my cockpit!!!!

9guages.jpg

??? Don't know why the pic didn't show up but I'll take another and post it!!

Shane

Guest Mopar1973Man
DTR is a bad word here.........most of us are banned from there anyway. LOL:nono:

I took me a moment to find out what you crying about... :roll: Geez just some of you are banned from DTR... I still got my working account. :shock: But like I use it much...:roll:

I got to admit you got a hell of a cockpit there... What all do you have in the pods on the A-pillar and steer column??? :-o

Guest Mopar1973Man
??? Don't know why the pic didn't show up but I'll take another and post it!!

Shane

Ahhh... I remember now you now allowed to post pics from DTR on other sites. Since I'm a member of DTR I can see it. But non members will not be allowed. Also there was a way they kept you from posting on other sites not sire how...:roll:

Guest ShanesLB7
Ahhh... I remember now you now allowed to post pics from DTR on other sites. Since I'm a member of DTR I can see it. But non members will not be allowed. Also there was a way they kept you from posting on other sites not sire how...:roll:

:nono: Huh that's dumnb!!!

Here's the finished product minus the matching interior paint!!!

dscn0552ai1.jpg

Came out perfectly smooth!! But you can see at the grab handle where I roughed up the plastic with the sander just need some superfine sandpaper and stock paint and it's good to go!!!