powersmoke

4407 transfer case

How hard is it to put a rebuild kit in A 4407 transfer case? It has 378000 miles on it and a couple weeks a go coming back from Wyoming pulling our 5th wheel it started making noise and smelling hot. Didn't no if it would be easier to buy a salvaged one or if it was some thing I could rebuild. Thanks, Scott

I haven't done that so I can't give you a valid answer. Call Lumpdog Transmissions (in the Mall section), he's good with the driveline questions.

Scott, I replied to our "conversation" with some contact info. I didn't want to post it here. I thought he would have his contact info listed on here somewhere, but he didn't post it, so I don't want to do something he may not want done.

Go ahead and go fishing. I have to do some thing with this transfer case before I go to far. Got ahold of lumpdog and told him what I had found around here and on ebay. and he said to jump on one that was on ebay for a good price. So hopefully I will have it by next week end so I can put it in. I think I will go ahead and pull the tranny and change the throw out bearing and maybe the rear seal while I am that close to them.. While I'm typing I got the EBPV rewired for the exhaust brake. BUT when I flip the switch on and it and it activated you can tell a difference but it also makes my AC compressor skweel really bad. Don't make no sense to me. But it sure does make the truck slow down.

Are you sure it's the A/C compressor making noise and not the belt slipping? Good idea replacing the other parts since you're gonna have it apart anyway. A little preventive maintenance goes a long way.

I have pondered on the belt slipping but I couple times that I have watched it the compressor was turning and when I flip the switch on it stops and makes noise. I will do some more investigative looking and listening I see what I can figure out. Thank,s Oh How was the fishing?

The fish no longer fear me! They won. I got nothing, not even a nibble. Is the A/C system fully charged? If yes, the pulley might be going south.

After lookin and listnin more it might be the vacume for the brake system. I think it's more of an airy whistle than a squeal. Would that make any sense to any one. I replaced it 2 yrs ago. The original made it a little over 325000. I will find some one to check the A/C.

If your brake system (vacuum pump) is going out or losing vacuum, you'll feel it in the pedal. You'll need a LOT more foot pressure to work the brakes. When mine went out, I was amazed how much foot pressure I had to use before I replaced the vacuum pump.

After I replaced it, it made me think the pump was in a slow death mode for a very long time. Much better pedal feel after replacing the vacuum pump.

If you think that might be the problem, don't mess around with it...get it checked ASAFP!

IDK of one off the top of my head. I think that question might be a good one for the dealership, unless someone else here knows how to do it. I'd like to know, too.

I would say just plumb in a vacuum gauge with a tee and see what it is drawing. I don't know if there is a spec on how fast it draws the vacuum (I would think not).

If you are lucky, maybe you just have a leak in a hose or fitting somewhere! Easy way to check that is to remove the hose from the vacuum pump and hook up the vacuum gauge and recheck it again. This will tell you exactly what you have at the pump. Putting a tee in the hose system farther down the line will tell you if you have a leak as the reading off the pump by itself will be a lot higher (Well, lower actually :lol: ) from the leak allowing air in and the pump not being able to draw as much of a vacuum.

If it turns out to be in the system somewhere, just start plugging things off until you find out where the vacuum is bleeding off.

HTH!!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found