powersmoke

keyless enty

While you are at it: Have them give you a build sheet for your truck!! Might come in handy in the future to answer other questions that come up like this. . . . .

Check this http://idahoturbodiesels.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6453 for requesting a build sheet.

You can check your VIN here, http://www.ford-trucks.com/vin-decoder/index.php

I'm a member on that site, too.

Also, if you were given a key fob (black rectangle with some buttons on it) with your truck keys, you have keyless entry installed on your truck. My '97 F350 came with the key fob that has two black buttons, "Lock" and "Unlock" and one red button, "Panic" with the truck keys.

(If he bought it used then couldn't the fob have been 'lost' along the way? I guess I just assumed it was a used truck and you just never know what happens along the way . . . . )

I also was just hoping that it might have the option and that it might be easy for him to get it working!!

If the truck doesn't have it; how hard is it to add the necessary hardware and get it working? My boy has been finding where guys are adding pretty cool 'options' to their trucks! Like: Automatic Climate control out of a Mercury! I like that idea! I wish I had known how neat dual climate control would have been. I would have gotten that option!

Hey Dan, I assumed he was the original purchaser. You know what "they" say when you assume, right? Anyway, decoding the VIN should help determine if the truck came with keyless entry or not. Also, checking with the dealership would be a step in the right direction, too.

My personal favorite, the Build Sheet, specifically states that my truck came with "Remote Keyless Entry" from the factory. The Build Sheet is, IMHO, one of the most important documents a vehicle owner can have on file. The best part of all is...the Build Sheet is free.

I did buy the truck used. Sorry I should have specified. I also followed the link for the build sheet. I received an email from them referring me to another site but they wanted to charge. Maybe I will still get the free one. Maybe that was for some thing different. Thanks mooseman for the info.

My pleasure, Scott. Would you send me a copy (PM, email or "copy and paste" into a reply) of the email you received? I'm wondering if they've changed their policy or maybe it's based on model year or something stupid like how old the vehicle is now.

Actually, even though your truck didn't come with keyless entry, this could work out in a good way if you were to install an aftermarket keyless entry system if you have ever wanted a remote start. I have always wanted remote start but want everything on one remote of which would mean I'd have to disable the stock keyless on my pickup. But where as you don't have it stock, you could just throw on a nice remote start, alarm, and keyless entry all in one...just a though :cheers:

Not too worry! All advice we give is eligible for a full refund . . . . . :lmao2::laugh:

Seriously, we do try but it really is kind of an eye opener to realize how much we all assume about things each and every day!! When I started the job I'm at now I quickly realized that I had at least 20 different people telling me at least that many different ways about the same problem. Once I realized that was going on it made my diagnosis go a lot faster and actually get down to solving the problem.

I had to laugh just the other day a counter man at Orielly's was telling me about a phone call he had gotten from someone asking him to diagnose a noise over the phone. What was real funny was that the guy was trying to 'make' the noise over the phone himself!! You really can't just hold the phone up to the source of the noise and get any good advice because of what the phone will do to distort and change the noise (Let alone have a person try and 'impersonate' the noise!).

We have all done one part of this or another at one time. At least here at ITD we do have a real good bunch of guys and gals that really do care and try to help each other out with ideas and problems. That is what I like so much about this site and why I am glad to be a part of it!!

Go ITD!!!

I wish you the best as you find out if your truck already had this option!! It really is handy to have and even if it doesn't, I would recommend looking into just adding the necessary parts to make it work on your truck!! I am considering adding power windows, locks and remote to my 1st gen Dodge. I realize how much work it would be to do this but it really would be worth it!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found