moparman1986

Wanting to add some power

I have recently acquired a 2001 24v Dodge. I am new to the 24v fuel systems, and I am wanting to add more power. I am wanting to hit around 4 or 500 without a lot of internal work done to the engine. I know gauges are a first...but what else will I need to hit this power level? Would higher power rating injector nozzels help or should I go with a new set of injectors? Turbo..programmer..chip...and any other suggestions are welcome.

400hp would be easier than 500hp if you don't want to mess with the internals.

You're doubling the horsepower at 400hp so you really need to look at head studs, but at 500hp you'd need to consider fire ringing it. Gauges of course, but also fuel delivery and fuel filtration. Injectors, I would say if they're okay then just get some tips for them otherwise replace them with injectors that have the tips on them already (F1 comes to mind). An upgraded turbo, maybe an intercooler, and a boost tube with a good and inexpensive air filter. I know it's a 2nd gen, but if you could fit the new generation air filter from the late 3rd gen trucks ('08 and up) they provide 99.4% or better filtration, fit in the stock air box (which you could do a PSM/Home Depot mod to), or a way to keep hot engine compartment air from getting to something like the BHAF, that would be fantastic.

Drop a Smarty on it and you'd be running pretty right.

-Kris

400 HP is easy to reach...

• Edge Comp/Edge Juice
  • BHAF
  • Straight pipe exhaust
  • Injectors (RV275 or +50 HP)
  • Airdog 150 or FASS 150

If you auto make sure to beef up the trans.

400 feels good and is easy to acomplish.

i was at 380 with my 02 with just 90 ho injectors and an ez box. [actually a comp box running a loose wire. i should have tapped the wire and may have been in the 425 range] i had a moderate turbo [pdr hx40]to keep temps in check while towing but actually did ok with the stock hx35. i had a BHAF and a heat sheild. reasonable injectors and a comp box will help mpg too. now days id probably be using a smarty and the injectors.

some here hit right at 500 with a big single and no head work. mine was a towing rig and i was happy right under 400 so i went that way. was a good place to be and i was looking at best bang for the buck. :ok::cummins:

Edited by MUDDY

Yes congrats on the 'new' truck!! I think you will like it!

While you are planning your upgrades: Make sure you check the radiator. The blow by can accumulate on the radiator and then attract dirt build up and will cause the engine to over heat. I have to wonder if that doesn't cause or at least contribute to a lot of the '53' blocks cracking.... Along that same idea: make sure you keep a good eye on the cooling system and keep it working well. I really like to use Chevron Delo ELC (Extended Life Coolant) as I believe it provides the best protection out there.

Thanks for all the input guys. Where would be a good place to get some 150 horse injector tips and a good programmer. I have found a few stores online but i just want to see what you guys have to say. Also..any cool ideas on an inclosure for the BHAF when i get ready to install it?

If you can fab one up; I have a template somewhere I could try to look up if you like.... To make it pretty nice a guy almost needs a sheet metal brake and shear.

Thanks for all the input guys. Where would be a good place to get some 150 horse injector tips and a good programmer. I have found a few stores online but i just want to see what you guys have to say. Also..any cool ideas on an inclosure for the BHAF when i get ready to install it?

i have my personal opinions. we have good guys on here in the club who can provide.

you may pm me for personal opinions.

as to bhaf enclosure............

i had the 'mhaf'. [med honkin air filter] i got some alum pipe and cut the side out to match the fender inside air and did the cowl howl, aka stinky slinky air mod and my housing sucked out of that. was pretty awesome. low buck ultimate air mod :ok:

I didn't bother with the enclosure at all because if you looking for MPG's more than HP/TQ then you want warmer air because the 24V Cummins hits the MPG high mark at about 130-140*F IAT temps... Once it drops below about 80-90*F the MPG's fall off.

I also never bothered with getting cool air to the bhaf. Just not worth it. But might be if pulling a sled to build a dry ice box to realy drop temps. During a pull.

I noticed some mpg gains while sicking unrestricted under hood air through the bhaf.

Different story when your running performance side (racing or sled pulling) but daily driver or trailer towing its different. Daily driver you can run warm air without a single issue. Trailer towing a slightly cooler air to aid with EGT's. But full out racing I would go for the dry ice idea but over the intercooler not the BHAF. CO2 really doesn't burn very good when inhaled by the BHAF.