Strokin95

1999 Super Duty Hpop?

My friend has 99 psd with 200,000 +, says its just up and died after work one day. Had a mechanic look at it decided it was the hpop, qouted him 3 grand. I unplugged the IPR and nothin happened, someone told me to try it. I took a hpop line off and cranked it over got about 8oz in 5 seconds. Appears to be some mettalic pieces in the oil, my guess is the hpop is shot and not building any pressure. So my question is there a way to check hpop pressure? Or does anyone have any ideas on this, Thanks, Chad.

Is the HPOP full? When was the last oil change? Did you check for any codes?

P1211 sets if ICP is 410 psi above or 280 psi below the desired pressure for 7.5 seconds.

P1212 sets if 725 psi of ICP is not detected in 6 to 15 seconds of cranking.

P1280 code is for ICP circuit low (often open circuits). Typical issues include, corrosion, spread pins, or

improperly crimped terminals at the ICP sensor harness connector.

If a P1280 is set, the PCM will display a default value of 725psi at idle.

Good info!! These aren't real hard to diagnose but you do need good info like this to do it! Keep after it and post up here for more help if you need it!

(I wasn't thinking the 'metallic' particles in that oil were sounding all that great . . . . What is that all about? )

That has me worried, too Dan, but one step at a time. Metallic particles in the oil is rarely a good thing, but we don't have any idea where they're coming from. A small amount can be considered "normal" wear, but shavings that could cut your finger would be bad. We need a bit more info on the metallic particles. A photo might be helpful, too.

Answers to:

Are the particles in the oil directly from the HPOP?

Are they on the dipstick?

Are they collecting in the turbo?

These answers are needed to go further.

Very good info!! In fact, let's not forget another simple test if it is hard to determine where the particles are coming from: Go ahead and change the oil filter out with a new one. Cut the old one open and see if you can find any particles on the outside of the paper element (If that is the oil flow. Most all oil filters flow from the outside of the element toward the inside!). Make sure how ever you cut it that you don't introduce metal shavings or particles from cutting! Most quick lubes have a filter cutter that resembles a large tubing cutter. A lot of them will cut them open for you so you can analyze this part of your engine oil system.

I would start with the simplest and easiest test(s) which would be to answer Craig's questions just above. If you can't determine where the particles are (or are coming from) you can always send the oil off for an Oil Analysis. Usually these labs can tell you exactly what the metal is and most likely where it is coming from.

Hope this helps! Definitely keep us updated with what you find!

OK guys sorry i didnt post when i got it going. Turned out it was a no fuel issue. The black plastic tube inside the fuel bowl was goofed up and not letting any fuel go past. I didnt even have to replace any parts.

The simple fix is the best one, and usually the correct one, IMHO. Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for letting us know. In the future, someone with the same type of problem will be able to search for it and possibly find your posted solution. That will help with "their" dianogistic process.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found