millco

How Do I Defeat the Neutral Safety Switch?

On my '92, how do I wire around the neutral safety switch. This truck came with an auto and that is long gone so I think I will just wire around that safety switch . . . . I believe the harness goes down to the transmission and attached to the switch on the transmission. If I knew which two wires I believe I just 'short' them together and I should be in business (As long as everyone remembers to take it out of gear of push in the clutch pedal.... LOL)

Guys,

What color of wires am I looking for?? And are they down by where the tranny use to be?? ( I Want to DRIVE this 'poop' truck ToDay!!):cool:

Well, I have given up for the day.... I don't like tracing wires in the dark any more... Guess I'm getting old... Course, I do have to get ready to head out to work so that will be the official news release!

I am finding a bunch of wiring problems with this old turd. I replaced about 5 fuses and now I have the wipers, heater fan, and who knows what else working now. BUT: I still have no head lights, brake lights, turn signals or tail lights, starter and I don't know what else is wrong or missing.... Guess I might not drive it for a few more days at this rate.

I believe the Park / Neutral Switch down at the trans grounds a BRN / YEL wire which is used to ground the starter solenoid. I also found that they have a plug under the dash already in the harness for the clutch safety switch!! If the truck is shipped as an auto then there is a short YEL wire loop plugged into this plug to short it out and send the ground on through from the trans Park / Neutral switch to the starter solenoid. I was able to unplug the shorting wire and plug in the clutch switch!! I got the Mrs. to help and I grounded out the wire down by the trans and all that happened was the starter solenoid would chatter (This solenoid is on the inner fender. It is not the solenoid on the starter.). I don't know if the light on the dash killed my battery today (I didn't catch it on when I left around 2 PM today. Apparently the door switch isn't pushed in far enough to turn off the dome lights. Wonder how I fix that little problem? If I am ambitious enough I guess I can open up the door and pound out that part of the door farther. . . . Any other ideas?)

Guess I still have a bit of work left to do to the old girl . . . . :wall:

stick a screw in the door at the switch location so that the head of the screw pushes in on the switch when ya close the door. Put washers on it if ya need it to stick out more.

Thanks! I knew this had a quick, easy fix!! This is awesome if you ask me! Way to go! (The door already has problems as you might imagine but even if it was 'cherry' this wouldn't hurt a thing! The door got ripped open farther than it is supposed to go so now it easily opens just past 90 degrees!! Since it still shuts fine and most of the damage is hidden in the hinge part of the door I think it is fine to leave as is. This will be a great fix. It is so simple I guess that is why I didn't think of it . . . . . )

I found some wiring diagrams for this truck and I can't believe it but it appears they are right. Down at the trans the wire that goes to the Park / Neutral Safety Switch is BRN / YEL. I brought it back up to the battery and connected it to the neg. terminal. I took out the YEL wire shorting plug under the dash right beside the clutch master cylinder and plugged in the clutch safety switch and it works like a charm (Once I figured out I had reversed the polarity when I plugged in the connector near the battery that sends power down to the starter's solenoid . . . . Ooops!! Working in the dark can get you in trouble here and there . . . )

I crawled in and hit the key and the engine cranks like it should!! Toot!! Now I either have to just get the 'cover' off the inlet of the turbo or I have to also bleed the fuel system again and she should be purring along again!!

I found a lot of other electrical problems and was starting to worry about the whole truck. Then I figured out most of it was coming from the multi-function switch on the column. I have exercised the crap out of it and it seems to be almost working now.... I may wind up having to replace it. A few days playing with it will tell!

Wish me luck! If you don't see me back here for a few days it is because I am out performing a shake down cruise with the old girl!! I finally got a 12V to play with!! :cool::drool::ok::drool::wave: