Guest Mopar1973Man

Rear Brake got burned!

Guest Mopar1973Man

Well gang...

I just got home and step out of the truck and the rear driver side brakes are smoking! :-x The rotor is dis-colored and gotten hot. It looks to mee like I'm going to end up buying a rotor and a set of rear brake shoes. This sucks! The stock shoes still have 50% of the shoe left!

I also notice on the way home like a tire was out of balance. You know the wheel hop feeling...

So I'm open for feedback. I think my shopping list is rotor and shoes right now and inspect the caliper to see how much damage its got...

I'm on my way to Seattle, WA to pick up a fire truck for SRRFD. So my truck will sit broken till I get home.

Guest Mopar1973Man

Ok...

I got the truck in the shop to take a quick look... The hub cap was warm to the touch yet. When I was pulling the lug nuts they were a bit hot to the touch yet. But I pull the tire and the caliper off. Looking at the rotor its not dis-colored bad. Also it doesn't appear to be warped. The shoe are still thick as hell and not glazed.

Rotor Condition

DSCF1562.jpg

Rear Shoe Thickness

DSCF1560.jpg

So what you guy think? You got all week to tell me what you think I should do here. :roll:

Guest Mopar1973Man
Ahh the horrible Dodge Brakes strike again. :poke

I say I've done very well with my brakes on my truck so far. I've got 103K on the clock and never replace a brake shoe yet. So how many have you replaced on your truck Ymmot??? ( | )

Brake pad you mean.

Shoes are used on drum brakes.

It's probably the caliper hanging up. I'd R2 it and turn the rotor if it's salvageable.

Guest Mopar1973Man
Brake pad you mean.

Shoes are used on drum brakes.

It's probably the caliper hanging up. I'd R2 it and turn the rotor if it's salvageable.

R2 it??? What???

Guest MoparsMaiden

Sorry to hear that baby.. :-(

I hope its not to bad...and it turns out to be an easy and/or inexpensive fix?? $$$

Wish I could help more..... I can offer moral support!!! :oops:

I had the same thing happen on the front of a Chevrolet truck and with a new caliper and pads plus turning the rotor it was as good as new.

I say I've done very well with my brakes on my truck so far. I've got 103K on the clock and never replace a brake shoe yet. So how many have you replaced on your truck Ymmot??? ( | )

Rear brakes? None.

I tow 13,300 lbs during camping season so that gets a little hard on brakes after a while. You also have the ability to use your manual transmission to slow you down. I got 150,000 on a set of fronts in a Ranger once, the rears I never replaced in the 200,000 I owned it. My Jeep Wrangler was rolled at 120,000 and it had the OEM brakes. Both of those vehicles were manuals.

Yeah... sorry get used to Air Force lingo and forget that not everyone knows what I'm talking about.

I said something about PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) one day on another webboard and people were all WHAT?

Ah... As we would mark it as R n' R...

Guest Mopar1973Man
Yeah... sorry get used to Air Force lingo and forget that not everyone knows what I'm talking about.

I said something about PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) one day on another webboard and people were all WHAT?

That's cool dude... PPE is a term I know from the fire dept... :-P

But is it possible to rebuild the caliper and hone out the bores and replace the seals? :confused:

I looked in the Napa catalog and I don't see a rebuild kit for them. The rebuild kits are more common for old trucks I think. Wouldn't hurt to call and find out though.

Napa carries the caliper for $85 or you can get a loaded one for $97 (has pads on it).

Not exactly cheap, I was thinking more like $30 range :lol:

I'm not 100% certain how the slide setup works on those calipers. I've never done rear disc brakes on these trucks, just drums.

Check that the caliper can "float" properly. Sometimes a boot will get torn on the side bolt and the caliper hangs up.

Rotors are cheap dont even bother turning it...I paid $55 a rotor (Canadian prices which are $$$), and the loaded calipers were around $50 plus pads....if you are buying rotors make SURE you get the American made ones...offshore rotors are crap as most manufacturers do not have the smelting expertise that you guys have in the good ol US of A.

Hows this for ugly?:

100_1249.jpg

100_1254.jpg

This happened when we were moving and I was towing a 20' car hauler......had no choice but to press on. Didnt really make that much noise. Damned good thing Im driving a Dodge....made it the full three and a half hours on solid ice...:dodge

PS, YES, I had to grind the rotor to get the caliper off...:lol:

Guest Mopar1973Man

Well at least mine isn't that bad... Geez!

My rotor still looks new for the most part... :roll:

Guest Mopar1973Man
Mopar,

Did you redo your rear brakes to make them rotors?

No... 2001.5 on up is all rear disc brakes...:thumbup:

Guest Mopar1973Man

Well I got a shot at tearing into everything. The rotor is not warped as far as I can measure. I inspected the caliper and cannot find anything wrong with it.

So I'm going t ostart cheap by bleeding off the old fluid and replacing...

DSCF1620.jpg

Then I looked at what came out... UGHHH! :shock::-o

DSCF1621.jpg

The now the reservoir is full with clean clear fluid... This is my 3rd fluid change on this truck and this is the worse looking fluid ever... But I'm about 8K late on it this time...:roll:

DSCF1625.jpg

This might take care of this problem... I've driven 35 miles today after the bleed job and the caliper isn't sticking and the rotor is nice and cool. :thumbup:

Guest MoparsMaiden

Damn... your brake fluid was just as black as my transmission fluid when you changed it... Did it smell as bad as well?? (YUCK)....

Im glad that you got it working again!!!! YYYIIIIPPEEEE GREAT JOB!!!! :smart:

Maiden

Guest Mopar1973Man

Well I'm up to 200 miles and no problem after I bled the system out... I think I might of gotten lucky and not require to replace rotor and caliper... :thumbup: