matchhead

surging when hot

1995 dodge diedel 210000 miles started surging when hot .Does not do it until I kill engine unload horses and start it up again to move trailer. Run fine just surges at idle. Any ideas. Thanks

Are the fuel and air filters clean? When was the last time the valves were adjusted? (I think I would look at the common and simple stuff first!) Only other 'little' thing I can think of is to check the fuel lines. Look at the rubber ones near the engine. If it has the hard plastic then still look for leaks. Only place those should leak is if they rub anywhere or at the fittings themselves. If you see any signs of fuel leaking and attracting dirt then look closer! A small crack before the fuel pump can allow air into the system. If it is a small amount at first it may only 'mess' with the idle. . . . . (Usually they can seep a little fuel with the engine off and give the leak away. . . . If there is no leak and it still sucks air it will be very hard to find. . . . )

Let us know what you find and we'll keep thinking of more things to check.

Look what I just 'stumbled' on . . . . . I wasn't looking for it but read his description of the video!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsVZkjEL4H0&feature=related]Cummins 12 valve Lope - YouTube[/ame]

To go to YouTube and see the video (So you can read his description); just click the Youtube logo in the bottom right corner of the video above. . . . :popcorn:

This is pretty funny.... A guy I work with asked me about his Cummins loping at idle just after this . . .

His is less than in this video and he recently installed a fuel pin and larger injectors. I was telling him about the air leak causing problems like this when it occurred to me that he said after installing these fuel parts is when his started loping. I think on his it is just the injectors and fuel pin. . . . So, if you didn't do anything like this to yours and it started doing this on it's own, then I guess I would suggest you keep looking for that air leak into the fuel system. (Now, if you did do some fuel system upgrading, maybe we need to 'talk' more about yours . . . )