Mopar1973Man

Aluminum Rim Failure

Well guys... Here is another first for me I lost 3 of my stock aluminum rims to cracking. So I'm currently on the waiting for my new rims and tires to show up in Ontario, OR.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2909&d=1307936362

attachment.php?attachmentid=2906&d=1307936355

attachment.php?attachmentid=2911&d=1307936367

attachment.php?attachmentid=2908&d=1307936360

attachment.php?attachmentid=2905&d=1307936352

attachment.php?attachmentid=2913&d=1307936373

attachment.php?attachmentid=2912&d=1307936370

crap!!!!!!!!!!! sucks. i love the stock late 2gen alum wheels. saw one crack on a guys rig who abuses it. are you an abuser???????? :lol:

crap!!!!!!!!!!! sucks. i love the stock late 2gen alum wheels. saw one crack on a guys rig who abuses it. are you an abuser???????? :lol:

Ummmm...

picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=103

picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=101

picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=102

picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=99

I'd say I'm a user not abuser... :rockin: (Cummins Powered!)

Now Mike!?!?!?!?!?

What???

In most of these pictures I rarely even got to use my overload springs... Maybe I need to take pics of that for ya...

LOL, wasn't there a thread here somewhere about how much payload to carry . . . . . .

No, this does suck! Glad you got off cheap though!! (Catastrophic failures can be very expensive in worst cases!)

Here you go... 16x7 Wheels (Pacers)

attachment.php?attachmentid=2918&d=1308425275

Now a surprise... 235/85 R16 tires with a load range of...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2920&d=1308425312

Load Range G rate at 3750# at 110 PSI... :rockin:

Those are hauling tires... :yes:

Are you really running trailer tires?? Casue that's what the pic looks like and with the G rating I think you must be....

Are you really running trailer tires?? Casue that's what the pic looks like and with the G rating I think you must be....

He guessed it... Yes they are trailer tires. They where cheaper than Load Range E's so why not. Mike over at Big O Tires in Ontario sold another set to a gent that is doing long haul (hauling RV's) and the tires are holding longer than expected (60K+ miles).

So hearing that the tire are cheaper and they hold up longer and Mike has taken care of my all my vehicles for the last 20 years I know it true deal... :cool:

(Oh yeah the tires are china made)

Huh, I know people run them, but I can't believe a tire store would sell them as they are not supposed to be on a drive or steer axle due to the construction of the tire. But if it works, then go with it I guess.

I think for a highway cruiser only that they would be ok, but can't see that their off highway and wet traction is going to be spectacular.

I'm not to crazy about full on 4WD action anymore... I normal stick to maintained roads (dirt and paved). So I'm not too worried. As for wet conditions they seem to be just fine for flooded highways.Just got nailed up here with some good rain a few days back...

Boy sounds like the days of 2 cycle oil in a diesel fuel...

I can't believe a tire store would sell them as they are not supposed to be on a drive or steer axle due to the construction of the tire.

Doesn't anyone think outside the box? I was told the same thing when it came to 2 cycle oil in diesel fuel that diesel injection system were not designed to pump 2 cycle oil blah blah blah...

Now trailer tire in my mind take MUCH more abuse that road radials. Like take my Jayco Eagle travel trailer and do a U turn. The rear axle is literially pulling the tire on the beads. It pulling so hard that it leaves rub marks on asphalt. I know you not suppose to do this but in some tight parking lots and fuel stations you got no choice. My Jayco weighs in at close to 8K pounds with a load range D..

jayco-cummins.JPG

Now take a really beefy trailer tire and keep it to light duty it should be all fine. Tire is rated for 3750# and I've only got 4420# front axle and 3040# on the rear axle which gives 2210# 58% of the tire ablitiy then 1520# on the rear 40% of the tire ability... So I'm not even stressing these tire at all.

So if there is a problem with putting trailer tires on a truck then there must be a problem with putting truck tires on my trailer. My 8x8 has 31x10.50 R15 load range C LT tires for the last 12 years...

attachment.php?attachmentid=85&stc=1&d=1308756084

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Here you go... 16x7 Wheels (Pacers)

attachment.php?attachmentid=2918&d=1308425275

Now a surprise... 235/85 R16 tires with a load range of...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2920&d=1308425312

Load Range G rate at 3750# at 110 PSI... :rockin:

Those are hauling tires... :yes:

I like those. Wheels and tires both!8-)

chinaman tires????????????

Yes sir they are China made tires...

I like those. Wheels and tires both!8-)

Thank you... So far I'm really pleased with them. After using my tire pressure calculator and setting the fronts at 65 PSI and rears at 45 PSI they ride really smooth. Good traction even on the dirt road locally here. So far they seem to enhance the MPG's slightly... (Too early to tell yet).

If they hold up good on gravel roads then that will be the big test. Trailers I have owned with the ST tires in 15 inch have had trouble with gravel working it's way into the tread. It could be with the great load capacity your tires have you may be good to go. :cool:

Well so far its a gravel thrower... It will pick up bunch of gravel and throw it everywhere... Ping, Ding, etc... Listening to the gravel bounce off the fenders and everything else...

Boy sounds like the days of 2 cycle oil in a diesel fuel...

Doesn't anyone think outside the box? I was told the same thing when it came to 2 cycle oil in diesel fuel that diesel injection system were not designed to pump 2 cycle oil blah blah blah...

Now trailer tire in my mind take MUCH more abuse that road radials. Like take my Jayco Eagle travel trailer and do a U turn. The rear axle is literially pulling the tire on the beads. It pulling so hard that it leaves rub marks on asphalt. I know you not suppose to do this but in some tight parking lots and fuel stations you got no choice. My Jayco weighs in at close to 8K pounds with a load range D..

jayco-cummins.JPG

Now take a really beefy trailer tire and keep it to light duty it should be all fine. Tire is rated for 3750# and I've only got 4420# front axle and 3040# on the rear axle which gives 2210# 58% of the tire ablitiy then 1520# on the rear 40% of the tire ability... So I'm not even stressing these tire at all.

So if there is a problem with putting trailer tires on a truck then there must be a problem with putting truck tires on my trailer. My 8x8 has 31x10.50 R15 load range C LT tires for the last 12 years...

attachment.php?attachmentid=85&stc=1&d=1308756084

In fact these are true statements about the tires. Trailer tires are designed to no pull away from the rim in turning maneuvers like LT tires do. This is due to sidewall and tread construction. I have seen and tested this first hand on my own trailers. And because of this design feature, it makes them not suitable for drive tires as they are not designed to take the driving forces applied, or the steer forces from the steer axle. So, although LT tires work on a trailer, and trailer on a truck, it doesn't make them right.

If you blow a tire and damage your truck or hurt someone, you can rest assured that you will be to blame.

I just recently put new tires on my 18ft 12K car hauler and did a ton of research on trailer tires. I had gotten away from them and was using LT tires and found them to have issues, especially with turning. I had lots of bad luck with China made trailer tires so I was reluctant, but after researching the issues, I pulled the trigger on ST tires. I have to admit that they are much easier to tow with and work very well, much better than the LT tires I was using.

But I haul heavy alot. Usually the trailer is a minimum of 10K and my 30' trailer sees even higher loads. And just for clarification, the issues and research applies to multiple axle trailers, not single axle stuff.

i too have had troubles w/ st tires on trvl trlrs. 15 inch. 6 and 8 ply. mostly gravel and off road. 8k trailer incl tongue weight. mostly tread tho. i used lt 10 ply that were throw aways and aint had a flat since. good casings. i notice no differnece towing between the 2 on the rd.

ok, dont know what to say as far as drive axle stresses. but steer axles........... as mike mentioned on the scrubbing tires in a turn on a tandemaxle....... severe stress from scrubbing. less than on a steer axle in my extimation. i have had the goodyears LT on 3rd gen duallies crack sidewalls in 6 months time on the steers. no prob on drivers. perhaps frequency on a steer is more but intensity on a tandem is more.

speed rating is the limiting factor on st tires imo..... and the fact the commie chinks are making them and intentionally f---ing them up as they are in it with the muslum terrorists to try to screw with God loving patriotic AAmericans.......................................... :td:

Found the page...

http://www.bigotires.com/Tire-Detail/Voma/Solid-Trac/15374

Funny... From Big O's web site...

Excellent Traction

Improved Wear and All Season Performance

Improved Traction

Promotes Long Even Wear

Good Steering Response

Then...

Speed Rating - Q = (99 MPH)

Loag Range G - (14 Ply)

If drive torque is a problem how about electric brake torque? Everytime you apply your trailer brake your applying reverse torque to the tire sidewalls attempting to stop the tire from rolling.

but steer axles........... as mike mentioned on the scrubbing tires in a turn on a tandemaxle....... severe stress from scrubbing. less than on a steer axle in my extimation.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

good point on tq from braking.

good speed rating. thought st tires were @ 65 mph. a lot of 19.5 truck tires only 75

If drive torque is a problem how about electric brake torque? Everytime you apply your trailer brake your applying reverse torque to the tire sidewalls attempting to stop the tire from rolling.

It has more to do that drive torque is applied while driving, and brake torque is for a much shorter duration.

It's cool man, I just did a lot of reading on ST tire construction, and there's a reason why the tires are an ST, for trailer use only, why would that be??:lol: Because they are spec'd and designed around the forces from a trailer.

But to each his own.

And the link you posted doesn't seem to specify that it is a trailer tire, but the sidewall does?