Relentless70

How Much Payload Before the Springs Go Flat?

I've got a '92 Dodge 2wd 1 ton Cummins dually with overloads on it. The rear main leaves have 8 leaves, totalling 2 3/4" thick, the overloads are 5 leaves, thickness of 1.5 inches. I've got a line on some heavy scrap iron, but I'm not sure how much weight I can put in the bed before the springs go flat. All springs are in good shape, still have good arch. Any ideas?

well scott, i figure 8k on the rear axle on the scale and i am stopping the loading up :cheer:

cant remember the rear empty weight on that rig.

Yeah, don't go a lot over the GVWR. . . . . (Not that I would know anything about that .... :roll: Let's just say that I shouldn't have went over 10,k on my F-150: Door says to quit at 6,200 GVW. And I think the over 16,k on the IH is maybe what helped turn the arch in it's springs 'over' . . . . LOL)

A lot of times you can get away with a bit over but you have to remember that in a bad situation you won't be able to stop as usual and in a tight spot: That sucks when you run out of 'run way'!! If you have a smooth roadway and can avoid needing to stop quickly then a little 'extra' weight 'USUALLY' won't hurt. Well, except in the long run with extra wear and tear on your rig too!

It all based on the weakest link on the chain...

* Tires

* Axles

* Springs

* Frame

Not knowing all the weight capacities of each thing it typically a good idea to hold to the GAWR / GVWR.

Now like I know in my truck the Big O AT tire (235/85 R16) are rated for 3042# each so looking at my GAWR for the rear its 6048# so 3042# x 2 Tires = 6048#

But here is a twist... Now switch over to my Cooper STT's 265/75 R16 and the tire capacity is 3442# now give me a 6884# capacity. So the tire can exceed the GAWR now but now what is the axle capacity? How about the springs?

Just more to consider...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

It's a one ton dually, you would be hard pressed to fit enough scrap in the bed to exceed the weight limit. I had 2400lbs in the back of my 86 two weeks ago, barely made the truck sit level.

its a dually, I used to load a 4000 lbs casing hammer and a couple sticks of casing the back of a 91 350 with a flat bed, overloads, and singles on it, the boss took it in every couple years to have them resprung and it was a good truck. I was running 8000 back axle weight on my 06 with singles, 19.5s overloads, and air bags on it. load er up just remember you will not stop as fast as you excelerate as long as its not regular it will not damage them

Knowing that there is a built in 'fudge' factor; I would not be afraid at all to go 'over' by 1,000 LBS. Dave is right here; just remember to take it easy and things like stopping will be drawn out by as much as you put on!!

I don't remember the last time I said this: but those larger brakes on my Mega (3rd gen Dodge) are really nice!! I don't remember how much more braking power they state but it is very noticeable! There have been several places where they have saved us from running over some idiot that insists on pulling out in front of us when they don't have room.

There is a way of bolting them up on a 2nd gen and I seriously think we should figure out a way to put them on a 1st gen!! If you haven't experienced them then you need to. It is as large of an improvement as is the 3rd gen H13 headlights!! (What I'm saying here is that it would definitely be worth the effort and cost to perform the upgrade!)

TYVM for all your responses guys! That "heavy" load of scrap wasn't that heavy at all, but now I know that at least it takes 1500 lbs to make the overloads hit the stops LOL. As for braking, I don't take chances with this truck. I've always wanted a dually, and I'm a bit paranoid with this truck. I don't go over 55 MPH with a load on her, and I always keep plenty of distace between myself and the vehicle ahead. I'm looking for 2003 or later GMC/Chevy or later dually rotors for a rear disc conversion. I have more mods in the works, in different stages of completion as I type these words....but I need a good clutch 1st. We'll see what happens here within 2 weeks LMAO! Thanks again guys!

We are all always glad to be here to help you spend your money!!! . . . LOL

(Don't forget to look at Dodge and Ford for your new rear end. The Chevy will have a smaller center hub than the other two do. Something to consider for how your wheels will match up!)

We are all always glad to be here to help you spend your money!!! . . . LOL

:slap:

Don't say that then the BOMB bug will bite him... They are like big ol' horse flies that steal your wallet and the owner mind... :lmao:

That's the spirit!!!!! We will have you onboard this train before you know what happened to your money! . . . LOL