YMMOT

Looking like maybe a good deal

ON EDIT: This is a little N/A 2.2 L diesel

Ok... here is the truck. 190,000 miles on it. I asked for a picture of the OTHER side too.

1981Datsun.jpg

1981Datsun2.jpg

Accounting for extra insurance, oil changes and fuel costs this truck will save me $870 every 15,000 miles. That is assuming the truck averages 30MPG and KNOWING my F350 is averaging 16MPG with the driving I'm doing now. If the MPG is higher then even better. The truck would pay for itself in the first year and a half. After it pays for itself, that is an extra $870 we aren't spending out bound. Now the F350 will still probably get at least one oil change instead of the 3 it gets now, so that bites into the $870, but not much.

A friend of mine had one of those in the mid 80's. He was unhappy if it only made 40mpg. If you decide to buy it good luck finding engine parts. He found a marina in BC that could get parts. Apparently the engine was used in boats also.

Parts shouldn't be too hard. I've found most everything at Rock Auto for this little guy. The only thing I haven't found yet is injectors. Since this is a Bosch Injection system it shouldn't be too hard to find stuff or some place to rebuild them.

I told muddy I'd post a dyno from a Nissan Brochure so here it is along with specs.

SD22PowerCurve-1.jpg SD22specs.jpg

Swank, I'm looking for a commuter, if this looks more like a Project I will give you all the info.

Here are some pics of a REALLY clean rebuild with an added turbo. The turbo is a Mitsubishi TC04 from a 1600cc Dodge Colt. The guy is running 7lbs and has been for a while. These things are up around 22:1 so 10lbs is about max.

IMG_0039-r.jpg

IMG_0040a-r.jpg

IMG_0042-r.jpg

IMG_0045-r-1.jpg

Ok, here is what is wrong:

1. Some rust on the floor boards up in the driver's and passenger side foot wells.
  2. Windshield needs replaced.
  3. The E-brake doesn't work, probably a cable.
  4. Needs a shut off solenoid.
  5. Turn signals aren't working, hopefully a relay or a fuse.
  6. No plates.
  7. No key to work the door locks, possibly stolen one time as the ignition tumbler has been replaced the guy that owns it now.
  8. Minor rust on the exterior here and there.

Here is what is good:

1. IT RUNS GREAT!!!!
  2. Trans and clutch seem fine
  3. Brakes are good

Here is a video of it at idle:

th_DSCF0009.jpg

Here are the pics 1981 Datsun Diesel pickup.

I'm trying to decide if the truck is worth offering $800 on. Brian, how hard do you think it would be to cut out the rusted areas in the pictures and weld in some new steel? I'm willing to pay. If it didn't run so dang good this would be an easy decision.

I just want one of the motors out of one a these things. I looked at the little 4cyl Cummins but it sits to tall. I got a little 4wd tracker that I'm gonna cut up and make a barn buggy out of. Already got an old gooseneck hitch to put in it so I can move trailers around and a 4 foot long steel dump bed to replace the beck end of the body with.

Well here is the feed back I got from the nissan Diesel site I joined: :-(

Ok, here is what is wrong:

Needs a shut off solenoid.

Nope, the DPC system isn't like anything you've ever seen before. If it won't shut off, chances are it also won't put the IP in "Start" mode (overfuel) during cranking, either. This can be cheap or expensive to fix. Do a search here on "DPC Controller", Philip's written a lot about maintaining the DPC system, and educate yourself on this, or be prepared to be surprised later. There's a lot to know, and I guarantee that it isn't like anything you've ever seen before.

Turn signals aren't working, hopefully a relay or a fuse.

Never that simple. Well, it could be the flasher relay, but it isn't real likely, they don't fail in the 720 very often. Worst case is a bad turn signal switch (I have several used ones), and they are the same as the gasser 720 so you can pick one up at any JY for fairly cheap, read more about them [gotopost=7030]in this thread[/gotopost].

No key to work the door locks, possibly stolen one time as the ignition tumbler has been replaced the guy that owns it now.

I work as a locksmith. See how to find the keycode [gotopost=428] in this thread[/gotopost] (glovebox sticker is likely up to 1983, or also the tailpiece of passenger door lock most any year if it hasn't been replaced). I can cut a key by that code that will work if the door locks haven't been rekeyed or replaced.

Here is a video of it at idle:

Requires Macromedia Flash version 8, which is unavailable for my platform, due to collusion between Macromedia and M$. That is, the code has been written, but Macromedia refuses to release it.

Here are the pics

Oh, I see what you mean about the turn signal and flasher relay, all hanging down. Just that mess alone should be worth knocking off $200 :)

Nice seat covers. Strange shifter boot. The usual broken intake plenum hose, which is apparently unavailable new. Is that red string holding the battery in? Check for rustout under the battery tray, it's very common up here. Used to be factory A/C but compressor is removed. Fuel filter looks like 1982 style (see [gotopost=197,secondaryfilter]this post[/gotopost] for details). Cab rust is going to be worse than you think, see pics of this 1981 KC "Bellingham Truck" and look at the floor after the mat is removed, you'll see pretty much what yours will be like. The bed rust shown is typical.

Due to the rust, I would probably not offer more than $400 at the very most. The engine/trans and wheels make it worth that kind of money, and the fact that it can be driven is just icing. The "Bellingham Truck" I mentioned above had comparable rust to what you show (though the pictures of mine look worse because someone took a hammer to the weak areas of the floor and knocked them completely out, but it's not as if there was anything substantive holding them in!). The seat mountings were going, so the seat belt lower anchors were about non-functional, though you could yank on them, there's no way they'd offer protection in an accident, to prevent you from impaling yourself on the steering column shaft. Also, there was significant rust on the frame at the arches above the rear axle, which can't be seen unless you actually jack it up and get under it and look for it. I was leery of putting a load more than a couple hundred pounds in it for that reason, and I found a less rusty '86 gasser to do an engine swap with the drivetrain of the rusty one.

Take serious note of that rust. I consider that one to be bad enough to consider a "parts truck". The frame is not that hefty on the 720s.

Guest 9812VCTD

Boy that truck is in pretty rough shape Tom definetely doesn't sound like it would be worth spending the money on. That little motor does purr though!:lol:

Justin

Guest Mopar1973Man

Tom...

You need one of these for getting around...

DSCF0459.jpg

Funny part is I'm getting about 42-45 MPG with the 1983 Goldwing 1100cc. Then currently the price of Diesel is lower than gasoline. But still with 5 gallons of fuel I can cover about 160-180 miles safely and it cost about $15 buck to fill up.

Note: Dragging the trailer I lose about 10 MPG but its worth it still.

Diesel $3.189

Gasoline $3.299

Horsepower 81 @ 8,000 RPM's

Torque 9.2 kg/m

This is how I got down to MoparMaiden's place this weekend in Indian Valley. I jump on the GW and filled up for all of $12 bucks and had a ball! I'm back home and still got about 1/2 or less left! :thumbup:

something else that that little truck will get same mpg as that bike. wonder why the bikes dont get more???????????/ hatte to ride one of them where tom lives,,,,all the crazy former kali drivers that moved to the meridian/boise area :(

The bike has more HP MUDDY. :lol:

I might end up with another vehicle. I will know more tonight and will post it up in a new thread if we do get it.

Mike,

I owned a donorcycle before. I learned early on that there are two types of riders, 1.) Those that have laid them down and 2.) Those that will. Thankfully I sold mine before I got out of the Marines without every laying it down.

I had a Katana 750. If I was going to do a motorcycle again this is how I would do it:

Indycyle.jpg

I've had three bikes totalled out from under me over the years. One head on from a kid turning in front of me, one from a lady runnin a red light and the Gold Wing had flat tire on the front goin down the highway and dissapeared out from under me. After the third bike I bought another V65 Magna rode it for a few months and then had the thought of what the hell am I'm doin. Sold it the next day, deciding I had out lived the odds already.

Guest Mopar1973Man
The bike has more HP MUDDY. :lol:

I might end up with another vehicle. I will know more tonight and will post it up in a new thread if we do get it.

Mike,

I owned a donorcycle before. I learned early on that there are two types of riders, 1.) Those that have laid them down and 2.) Those that will. Thankfully I sold mine before I got out of the Marines without every laying it down.

I had a Katana 750. If I was going to do a motorcycle again this is how I would do it:

Indycyle.jpg

I've had three bikes totalled out from under me over the years. One head on from a kid turning in front of me, one from a lady runnin a red light and the Gold Wing had flat tire on the front goin down the highway and dissapeared out from under me. After the third bike I bought another V65 Magna rode it for a few months and then had the thought of what the hell am I'm doin. Sold it the next day, deciding I had out lived the odds already.

Well I've owned 4 motorcycles in my life so far...

1976 Honda CB550

1982 Yamaha 750

1982 Honda 750

1983 Honda Goldwing 1100

My 1976 Honda taugh me early on about traffic and downing a motorcycle. That bike ended up in a bone yard as scrape.

The 1982 Yamaha taugh me about shaft driven bikes don't cornere the same and got me to stop street racing.

The 1982 Honda V45 never seen the ground in my ownership. The new owner has dropped it in his own yard! :roll:

My 1983 Goldwing has been tip over a few times in a parking lot but in the 2 years I've owned it I've got 11K miles of completely up right riding!

I've got a total of 17 years of up right riding and not seeing the ground! :thumbup:

Guest MoparsMaiden
mopars1973man writes: This is how I got down to MoparMaiden's place this weekend in Indian Valley. I jump on the GW and filled up for all of $12 bucks and had a ball! I'm back home and still got about 1/2 or less left!

Cheap is good!!!! I have never ridden on motorcycles much but Moparman talked me into it with those damn puppy dog eyes..... ;-) and yep... it turns out I'm addicted.... One ride and I was toast...:drool

but I have to draw the line when it comes to wearing to leather!!! :nono: no way !!! Can I still be a biker babe and not wear leather??? :lol:

Looking forward to the next road trip moparman.... :oops: