NYCEGUY01

Welder Q's

Im in the market for a good 200+ amp mig. Im ready to pull the trigger right now.This money is really burning a hole in my pocket. lol

Anyway I know there is a few fab guys here and thought you would know the best place or way to get some kind of deal.

Mostly been looking at the miller 210 or maybe a 251.

The 210 will do all of my needs but if the right deal were to be found I wouldnt turn down the 251.

I have seen some pretty good prices on the Esab Migmasters ( 203 and 253 ).Any reason they should or shouldnt be considered.

Anyone here own a thermal arc ?? I can get a deal on one of those

( 251 Fabricator ) as well.

I have never had real good luck with the red ones but Ive only owned lower amp machines.

Lets have some reccomendations from some actual users.

Whats best and why.

What are you going to be welding? Something used everyday or just for hobby?

I have a Lincoln 175 and I've been happy with it. Sure a bigger welder is better I guess, but I don't normally weld metal that's over 3/8-1/2" thick, so the little guy does just fine. Over that I'd just use a stick welder anyhow.

I went ahead and went for a new Miller 210. Its more than I need but I wont be buying another welder anytime soon.

I mostly just weld smaller stuff , 3/16 and smaller. Every once and a while I need to do some 1/2 plate so this will work good then too. Ill keep my little Hobart 140 for real thin stuff like body work etc..

I used to drag out the stick for the bigger stuff but even though real strong it doesnt look good or as good as a big mig weld. Ill keep it in the corner for when I run out of oxygen for the torch on a sunday( the only day any of my tanks run empty for some reason )

I guess you weren't kiddin about burnin a hole. Personally I prefer the Lincoln's just because they give you more options on adjustments for wire feed. All the Miller/Hobarts I have used were preset wire feed based on amp settings. This made it easier for the new guy to just pick it up and run with it, but once you get accustomed to it the Lincoln could do more precise type welds. In the end though it's all a personal preferance, some folks like the color Blue and some Red, there aint no right and wrong answer.

I looked at a Lincoln 215 but the drive system was all plastic. It kinda just turned me off. The Miller is all cast aluminum. It may not be better but it sure looks tougher when you open the side door.Even My little one had complete control of wire settings just like my new one. The new ones ( 140 and 180 ) have the auto-set feature but you can turn it off I think.

I think they are both fine machines ( red or blue ). My small mig is a Hobart so maybe I just wanted to keep it in the Miller family seeing as they own Hobart.

Don't know about the newer Lincoln but I use a 250a Lincoln mig with a lot of time on it and it still works great. My tig is a Miller and its a good machine too.