Relentless70

FYI for 1st Gen Owners

I just purchased a 1992 Dodge D350 2WD CTD dually 5-speed truck about 2 weeks ago that needed a passenger side upper control arm and ball joint before I could drive it home. I replaced the upper control arm AND ball joint from an '85 Dodge 3/4 ton 2wd truck....everything fit perfectly. Thank you for your help and shop space Mopar1973Man!! I also have a '91 Dodge 1/2 ton parts rig in the yard that can also donate upper control arms to the 1 ton, ball joints from the 1/2 ton will NOT work. The front flexible brake lines are the same too XD. The only catch on the brake lines is that the hard line side is smaller on the 1/2 ton than on the 1 ton, but the threads are the same. I'm guessing the calipers are the same....they sure look the same....I'll confirm that before posting.

Gotta take care of the diesel noobs in the family... :yes:

If you really want to see Relentless smiley watch what happens when I toss the keys to my 2002 at him. I swear his head is going to separate in half. :lmao2:

Bad part is I know he's a diesel addict now... :lmao:

Do carefully check to make sure that these parts are the same! Every p.u. that I have ever worked on was a lot different between 1/2 ton and the heavier 3/4 and 1 tons. In fact, I was 'complaining' to my parts man one day about the cost of brake parts when he asked if I was used to working on 1 tons. I admitted that I was working on my first one at that point. He laughed: 'Well, they are built a little heavier and it does cost a little more because of that fact'! And ever since then, all the ones I have worked on were quite a bit heavier / stronger.

Only thing that scared me about the brake parts being the same that you mentioned were if the caliper housings were the same but had different size pistons inside. Usually 1/2 tons have lighter and less powerful brakes . . . . . . Maybe that is why the hose connections were different. They should have to do something to make them unique to the application they are intended for! They seem like the are always changing stuff too much as it is.

I just wouldn't want to see you loosing a lot of braking power!! The front of a light truck (Or car for that matter) actually has most of the braking power for the whole rig!! That is why it is so important!!

Just a couple of weeks ago we saw an older Chevy p.u. without properly working brakes. It was rush hour traffic and we were all stopped (Down near SLC). This stupid lady pulled out of a business and 'parked' broadside right in front of the path of this p.u. He did really well for what he had to work with. The sun was in his face and all he apparently had for brakes was one rear wheel. He was going about 40 MPH and slide that one rear tire for ever as he weaved in between 'parked' cars around the front of this stupid lady. He wound up not hitting anyone which really amazed my wife and I. I then said: "I should chase him down and stop him". My wife asked why and I said because he probably doesn't realize most of his brakes have failed (I say this because he slid that one tire for way too far and it really didn't slow him that well . . . . ). I would guess it is his master cylinder that is out. Sometimes they will fail by not putting any braking 'action' to an axle (They are split now days between half working the front axle and the other half the rear axle.) The front axle provides about 60 - 70 % of the total braking power. He had lost something like 80 % of his brakes and in a 'tight' situation: THAT SUCKS!!

Maybe we all should make it a habit of taking our rigs out in the gravel every so often and testing them to make sure everything works! . . . . . :popcorn:

I know what you're saying....I have not verified whether the 1/2 ton calipers will interchange with my 1-ton....they do look the same, but I'll have to check part numbers before I can confirm they will interchange. But, as far as upper control arms go, believe it or not, the part # is the same. Thank you for reminding me about the piston diameter...I didn't even think about that.

That is a great idea!! (There is a thread somewhere about putting the larger 3rd gen brakes on a 2nd gen. . . . How about we re-write or update that thread to putting them on a 1st gen!!)

In a previous post, I said that 3/4 ton 2wd ball joints would work on a 1 ton 2wd truck...they do NOT work! I got my info from www.rockauto.com.....they show the same part numbers for both the '85 3/4 ton and '92 1-ton trucks. I tried using an '85 3/4 ton ball joint on my 1-ton Cummins, but it didn't work. The ball joint shaft diameter is not the same. Driving the truck was a bit scary with the 3/4 ton ball joint. I have since replaced it with the correct ball joint for my truck and had a frontend alignment done on it. The steering is much more predictable than before. I really do apologize for the unintentional disinformation. Double check everything!

Not to worry at all!! Part of this whole 'forum' thing is to help each other out. It just works out sometimes that the wrong info is given. A guy just has to be careful and make sure everything works / fits the way it is supposed to. It really is no different than when you are installing parts you purchase for a particular job. On occasion the parts house will sell you the wrong thing. It is always up to the installer to make sure it is the correct part for the job / application.

We know you didn't mean to have wrong information. And it does seem like you were 'helped' by the online parts house to believe that the parts were interchangeable. We're just glad you found out before anything bad happened!!! It is no fun at all to have your steering wheel 'dis-connect' from your tires!!! That is a wild ride that often ends in disaster!!

I'm just glad I found out that info before someone else did the hard way LOL! I found out something interesting today. I ran a scrap load to Payette yesterday, and on the way there, the clutch started slipping a bit in 5th gear about 40 miles outside New Meadows. Ran the rest of the way there in 4th gear. Dropped off the load, came back home through Hwy 55, and started hearing a growling sound from the front drivers side of the truck just south of McCall.

We made it home ok, so I figured I'd jack up the front end and inspect the entire front end, steering, and wheel bearings. Found a lot of vertical slop on both front wheels. Pulled the caps off the wheel bearings, find the outer bearings are nearly dry. Pull the calipers off, and find damaged pistons in the calipers(see pic). I've got a set of '91 Dodge 1/2 ton calipers, measured the piston diameter of both the 1 ton pistons and 1/2 ton pistons, and I'll be damned if they both measured 3" each!.

I repacked the pass side bearings, put the hub and rotor assy back on, no roar from the pass side now.....but had to replace the driver side inner bearing and race....both units were bad enough to the point I wasn't comfortable pulling another scrap load to Payette. Inner bearing and race cost almost $21.00 from NAPA.....not too bad for the peace of mind. Seems like every load I take to Payette I find something else that needs fixed, but I'm not surprised, due to the high mileage for the truck.

I ended up having to replace both drv side and pass side calipers, due to damage to the caliper pistons. Both 1/2 ton pistons fit like a glove. Tomorrow I'll bleed the brakes and let you guys know how it goes!

post-5383-145494310472_thumb.jpg

post-5383-145494310477_thumb.jpg

awesome scott. glad ya are getting it whipped. for those who didnt catch it this rig has 630,000 + miles.

slipping clutch eh???? upgrade time. it has a lot of miles on that clutch. i need to find the note book.

I just donated my old 2002 Clutch to the cause. THe friction disc was in going shape but the hub needed a bit of help I know Scott is talented enough to fix it up. But My old flywheel and pressure plate where in good shape and was holding 381/831 to the ground. Now knowing that he's got the NV4500 stuff in there all ready it should work for him.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3756&stc=1&d=1305811529

post-5354-145494310484_thumb.jpg