dennhop

clockspring issues

Ok, hopefully some of you know the answer to this, because I'm stumped.

I ordered a clockspring for my 97 3500, a while back, and got it in, it was around 50 bucks or so, and I got it either from A1 or Rockauto, can't remember exactly. The description on it said it fit the 97, so I thought I was good. However, when I got it and went to swap it out, I found out that it had two completely different electrical connections than what I had on my truck.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dragtimes.com/images-classifieds-large/-Clock-Spring-Dodge-Ram-Pickup-1997-2001-NEW-1500-2500-for-sale_220733903737.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/-Clock-Spring-Dodge-Ram-Pickup-1997-2001-NEW-1500-2500_220733903737.html&usg=__NYLpXXgLlR7LGgK8ZzvEpNvZ0yE=&h=394&w=382&sz=45&hl=en&start=2&sig2=7hytn2804SEFj9GhsW6cLQ&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=5xOnowIYelc5_M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3D97%2Bdodge%2Bram%2Bclock%2Bspring%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1659%26bih%3D842%26tbm%3Disch&ei=w3W1TfP-B7CN0QH3k8SgCQ

in that picture there, you see two white connectors, in the top left of the picture. That's how mine came, but the problem I have is that my old one only had a single connector, that was about as wide as the two singles put together. I tried to do some ghetto splicing, and hoped that it would work ,but no juice...now my cruise light on the wheel doesn't come on, and my airbag light is still lit.

If there's anyone out there that knows what I'm talking about, I'd really appreciate some help, since I'm real hesitant to go out and buy another one, only to find out that it's not the right connector either. Oh, and the connector that plugs in under the dash is too short too....:mad:

I'm wondering if there was a difference between the 94-96, and 97up, maybe, and my 97 just happens to be one of those stuck in the middle, but I haven't been able to find a connector like what I had on my old clockspring yet.

good luck on this. sucks they feel a need to make several versions......... i dont know the interchangability years

Wow! I see what you mean. I tried a couple of searches real quick and came up with nothing. . . . Didn't even find a clock spring to see if it was like what you bought.

I would try a good parts man and a real parts house. If you need call mine: Ted at Keyline 208-733-3388 If you tell him what you need and what you got he should be able to help you out and get you the right one. Hopefully he doesn't hate to see me but it seems more often than not I am hitting him up with some problem like this that needs special attention. . . . . Hope that helps!

Ok, I should have opened your link earlier:

According to Dorman Products 525-103 fits 98-01. Go here to their site and see if you can find the right one:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/da-20057-525-103.aspx

I like their stuff so hopefully you can find the right 'Cluck' spring and get this working again! Make sure you check Amazon for a good price if you need a different one . . . . For some reason they usually have what you want at about the best price!

I'd check the stealership too...believe it or not, I've had the stealerships beat the aftermarket on prices of SOME of their stuff. They'll want the last 9 digits of your vin to make sure they get exactly the right part, so have'm handy when ya call.

true, not often but ya never know. a cell call is cheap :ok:

i remember when i had my 01 clockspring problem were common....

I just called my parts house and the 'new' number is: 734-8585

(WTH!! I have used that old number for something like 30 + years . . . . Guess they want to see how good my memory is . . . )