Rancher99

Looking for a Holset HX-35 Turbo

What were these on? (The HX-35) And what kinds of benefits will it provide? I am on a similar path it turns out. . . (My service truck is a '92 w/intercooler and I have dropped in a '90. I can't wait to drive this one! A bit of 'work' on the injection pump and it should be a blast!)

I Can't Wait to drop in the HX35 and intercooler. :burn

It should make quite a difference going from a 21cm H1C to a 12cm hx35. I think I will probably notice a difference on spool up.

I purchased a 2nd gen intercooler off of ebay for a good price$$$. It will take a little modding to work. There is a write up on firstgen.org about it.

I am still looking for the HX35 though:popcorn:. I haven't seen a reasonably priced Holset yet (lots of cheap korean junk though).

A friend of mine sent me an old TDR writeup about the 1st Gen injection pump. It has a lot of great information in it on how I can increase the trucks performance. It most likely needs to be done since this beast has been on the road for 350000 miles:cummins:.

Millco, did you put a 2-micron filter setup on your first gen? If so how well did the pump handle it and I assume that you installed a fuel pressure gauge. I am jealous of your NV4500. I am stuck with a 727 for now.

I loved my HE351. It's just as cheap, will spool better, and flows more air. It's not too bad of a chore. I put a he351, second gen intercooler, and had a buddy fab me up some 3" intercooler pipes. Although I had to leave the grill out and trim a little.

frontintercooler.jpg

underhoodshot.jpg

Do you have to do anything special electrically/electronically for the HE351? Or are there certain variations of that turbo that one should stay away from?

From what I was to learn it looks like it is a newer turbo than the HX35. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the HX35 vs HE351?

Fortunately, with some modding, I should be able to keep my grill and bumper complete and unchanged.

Thanks,

Andy

Nope, I actually had to clock the compressor housing and lose the adjustable wastegate. I Wired the wastegate shut, used the he351 4" exhaust elbow and made my own down pipe.

I think the only real downside of the HE351 is it creates more drive pressure but it moves more air and spools faster.

Have you did any pump mods yet?

No pump mods yet....:drool: I definitely want to do something with it and the timing (probably advance the timing a bit). Just don't know how to do it and what tools I need. I have seen some stuff on Dodgeram.org about it.

So when you lost the wastegate etc. what is your exhaust housing size? Does this one have an adjustable exhaust housing or is it just the wastegate?

So in essence you are not running the waste gate?

You would want to look for a HE351CW, it has a fixed geometry exhaust housing (9cm) The HE351VE has the exhaust housing with the variable vanes that get bigger as you build boost. The 351VE can be used too but you have to use a controller that will open the vanes as you build boost, drive pressure etc.

I used a HE351CW with a wired shut wastegate flap and the wastegate removed from the turbo. Which can also overspool turbos, but I never built more then 35psi so overspooling isn't a problem.

When setting your fuel screw make sure to pull the intake off the turbo and have a 2x4 or something ready in case it runs away. Adjust fuel screw, grind your fuel pin, 3200 gsk aka 366 spring and do the 1/8th timing bump and it will be a runner!

1stgen.org has alot of good info aswell. :cool:

This is turning into a great thread! Keep it coming guys!

I have only put the 2 micron on my '06 so far. I think it will be great on anything though as it is a huge filter intended for a class 8 truck with a 15L engine. It is like 10" tall and uses a 1" thread to hold it on so it has plenty of flow capabilities. I also agree that a guy would be just fine with a fuel pressure gauge so he could tell if there is ever any problems. Let me know if you ever need any help with installing one! I'd be glad to pass along any info I have or answer any questions you have about it!

Would you send me those two articles or links for the intercooler and pump 'adjusting' please? I would like to have them. It is looking like these 'mods' are in my '92s future. . . . :yes:

Link for installing 2nd gen intercooler: http://1stgen.org/viewtopic.php?t=2084

Link talking about turbochargers and the various ones installed on the Cummins: http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm

Engine Timing: http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/timing.htm

1st Gen power increase (its scary what you can do): http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

Man this is gonna be fun once I get these projects completed.:cummins:

Timing.doc

Injection pump.doc

Yes indeed!! Summer is coming so let's get the fun warming up!

Jake, did you mean move the timing up 1/8" on the mark on pump? . . . . I hope I didn't go too much on mine! I have only had it running once (Radiator is still out!) and it seemed to me to have a lot of 'rattle' on acceleration. To me it seems like a fuel knock kind of noise. It only does it under acceleration. Idling it sounds like the mighty 12V should!! [Music to my ears kind of sound!!]

(I'll measure what I did and see if I can't post up a pic later today. . . . )

What is the HY35 Turbo and how does it compare to the other two we have been talking about?

Here is a link for doing the timing on a 12-valve with youtube videos: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/articles-engine-core/379245-timing-40-minutes-p7100.html

Says he can do it in under 40 mins. I know I can too, on the first try. Just like the 2-hour KDP job (yeah right more like 7 hours) :lmao2::laugh::lmao::rofl:.

How heavy is an hx-35 with exhaust housing? Someone is saying it weighs 50, but i am a little skeptical. I looked on the cummins website but I think that was just the turbo and not the housing. From what I could decipher it weighed 20 to 25 from what the website said.

dunno on the weight but weisghs no more than the h1c you have on now. i got a core someplace ill see if i can find and weigh......

Yes indeed!! Summer is coming so let's get the fun warming up!

Jake, did you mean move the timing up 1/8" on the mark on pump? . . . . I hope I didn't go too much on mine! I have only had it running once (Radiator is still out!) and it seemed to me to have a lot of 'rattle' on acceleration. To me it seems like a fuel knock kind of noise. It only does it under acceleration. Idling it sounds like the mighty 12V should!! [Music to my ears kind of sound!!]

(I'll measure what I did and see if I can't post up a pic later today. . . . )

Yeah 1/8" mark on the pump. If you wanted more you can jump a gear on the timing gear itself, just make sure to turn the pump back to stock or less if you do that. I'm at 21.5* on my second gen and it has a pretty healthy rattle too. Shouldn't be too big of deal. Might want to run an overhead to make sure you're not too loose or tight causing chatter and run'er!