IDMooseMan

Emissions Testing - Canyon County

Got my testing notice the other day. Anyone else get one? I have until the end of the month to get it done.

I guess one-ton diesels are not exempted as originally thought.

Edited by IDMooseMan
spelling

It's a joke. You could be pouring out thick black smoke and still pass. Ada county tested my '86 IDI and it passed effortlessly pouring out grey smoke (beat injectors at that time). The report said it was burning nice and clean. It's a way they get $10-$25 out of your wallet on top of taxes.

We were exempt in Connecticut when testing first started up. After a few years the State figured they can make more money if they threw in diesels. It was not as stringent as it is for gassers. I'm spoiled down here, no emissions here. They still open burn garbage down here :lol:

Thankfull out here in the back country (Adams Co.) Idaho there is no smog controls or testing required.

But really a shame to see how the USFS fill my air will all there control burns... Looks worse that a bad day in Cally. :wall:

I still have a year for the '06, and a couple beyond that for the '08. Wondering how I'll pass if I'm forced to do the deletes later on .....

Well If it was me I would do the deletes like old gassers... Like on my 73 Charger I knew the EGR screwed the mixture up so I made a new gasket WITHOUT holes. So the EGR valve was still in place and the shaft still moved up and down during the test but had ZERO effect because the gasket was lacking holes.

Then on DPF I would got to wrecking yard and find a DPF from a like year truck and gut the thing out and swap it into your truck.

So now all the emission equiptment is still present but non-functional...

TEST IS A JOKE!

No visual inspection. OBD-II test failed because their software couldn't read the engine RPMs.

The Opacity test was performed. Particulate limit is 20% for passing. Average for passing vehicle is 10%. My reading was 0.9%. Cost was $10. At least I don't have to test again for another two years.

I got the test notice for my 86 before I had even gotten the title in mail. I had a max limit of 55%, passed at 25.8% without any problems. I would have passed at 3% but they noticed I had blown the probe out of the pipe when the test was over. It took them just under a minute to figure out why I didn't have spark plug wires. Still haven't gotten a notice for my 93 or my wifes jeep.

Edited by Sycostang67
fudged my numbers

I got the test notice for my 86 before I had even gotten the title in mail. I had a max limit of 54%, passed at 13% without any problems. I would have passed at 3% but they noticed I had blown the probe out of the pipe when the test was over. It took them just under a minute to figure out why I didn't have spark plug wires. Still haven't gotten a notice for my 93 or my wifes jeep.

I think mine was around 13% as well. Did the emissions person have you do a few test snaps to "clear it out" before the test?

I know Kuna is in Ada County, but the news always mentions it along with Canyon County Emissions... Did you have your truck tested at an Ada or Canyon County location, or does it matter?

For some reason, Kuna seems to be included in the Canyon County emissions issue (unless I'm not fully understanding the situation).

You can probably test anywhere at an approved site, but you might as well test in your particular area to meet local requirements.

Seems like each county has different standards.

At least my wife's Camry Hybrid is exempt, so I won't have to test that one.

Edited by IDMooseMan
spelling

Testing is a joke: You have to test it under load to see how it is performing in real world conditions!! Going down the road under load produces much more emissions than it does idling when you start it or are waiting on stop lights.

Some 25 or more years ago it was a joke!! They 'adjusted' a gasser I bought at the testing station so it would pass: They had the idle speed down to around 300 rpm and screwed in the idle mixture screws so hard that they damaged them. I am still convinced that all of this really helps save our environment . . . . ( | )

I would ask them if you really do have to test your 1 ton!! From the sounds of it they really don't have a clue who (and probably what) they are sending notices out to!! I would also ask in Canyon County if their test will get you 'legal' again. You never know, maybe you can get it tested to lighter standards or something.

As to what Mike was suggesting, I too would go that route! I think the exhaust is welded together on your '08. On my '06 it isn't and I was able to pull it apart and save all the pieces. I made a clamp that will pull these exhaust joints apart so they can be reused. When I put it back together I used the wide band exhaust clamps that are very easy to take back apart to change out components easily and quickly! Click here to see the install and the clamps: http://idahoturbodiesels.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5800 (Warning!! Pics!! . . . . LOL)

On your '08 you can take the EGR apart and remove the plate! A guy at school blocked his off and didn't remove the plate. His truck wouldn't run and we figured out he still had the plate in there. Just take it apart and Dremel off the ends of the two screws that hold it onto the shaft so you can un-screw them (They are just like how a throttle plate is held onto the shaft in a carburetor). Fortunately there are ways around all this nonsense they put on these.

I know that part of the exhaust on my '08 is clamped on .... I already replaced the stock muffler with an Aero Muffler 4040XL and it was a simple bolt on install ..... I just don't remember if further up was the same or not because it's 12,000 miles away at the moment ..... LMAO!

I think mine was around 13% as well. Did the emissions person have you do a few test snaps to "clear it out" before the test?

I know Kuna is in Ada County, but the news always mentions it along with Canyon County Emissions... Did you have your truck tested at an Ada or Canyon County location, or does it matter?

I got my numbers wrong, max was 55% and I ran a 25.8%. I got my truck tested in ada county, at the jiffly lube near orchard and overland. The test snaps were optional but every snap made it cleaner.

...I would ask them if you really do have to test your 1 ton!! From the sounds of it they really don't have a clue who (and probably what) they are sending notices out to!! I would also ask in Canyon County if their test will get you 'legal' again. You never know, maybe you can get it tested to lighter standards or something...
I did ask the testing station about testing 1-ton diesels and the tech wasn't all that excited about it either. He had to reboot his PC twice and still couldn't get the software to register my RPMs. He's not thrilled with the software either.

I'm not sure what you mean by "get you legal again", but the website did specify that a waiver is available if you fail, spend at least $200 in repairs and fail again on the retest. Since my truck was 'legal' to begin with and I didn't fail the snap test, there aren't any other waivers to apply for. I guess I'll see what happens two years from now.

Maybe I should ditch the DiamondEye exhaust and go with the MBRP. Maybe they'll send me what I ordered (long story - still get pissed off about it).

Anyway...my truck passed with flying colors and it only took about 15 minutes. I was the third vehicle in line.

The Ada County emissions folks told me our '00 F350 PSD is in a much higher GVWR, thus it doesn't require a catalytic converter and the percentage allowance on the smoke screen was significantly higher. IIRC, it got 0.03% on its test. The '86 doesn't require a CAT and got a much worse test result. I believe it had a lower GVWR as well.

if i have to test mine im leaving everything turned up and im gonna make that poor boy black. :lmao2:

Do it at a jiffy lube and see if you can smoke them out of the building. :rofl:

LOL!!! We have to have a couple of video cameras there when you do it!! We will make sure it is in our new, upcoming video!! Let's work out the details and I will come up!