SgtSlaughter

Heater Core Replacement

A friend at work did one a couple weeks ago. and said it was quite a job. I think the dash needs to be unbolted and partially removed.

Getting the coolant smell in the cab and no leaks I can identify in the engine compartment so I'm thinking the heater core needs replacing. Anyone know how hard it is?

Got ya covered... 8-) Pulled mine out twice now and can do it under 6 hours out and back in...

http://youtu.be/ghDbhJDBvkc

i got banned from dtr for saying stealership BTW.... :lmao:

You're not going to get in any trouble here from this though, right?

:pu::laugh::lmao:

You'll need to pull the bezel off, take the kick panel off below the steering wheel, drop the steering wheel, should be two bolts holding the bracket on, and let the steering column rest on the front seat. Unscreww the top of the dash, the screws holding it to the windshield. You may need to pull the radio and a few other things out of the dash, to get the wires loose, but you might be able to do without it. There will be a handfull of connectors on the passenger side, behind the glove box, so it would be easiest to pull the glove box out to see them. Once youve done that, take the two bolts holding the dash in place, one on the driver side, and one on the passenger side. You can pull the dash loose on the passenger side alone, and use a ratchet strap to hold it back far enough to get to the heater box. From there, Moparmans video should be good to get you the rest of the way.

There a pain in the ass but not hard to do. Jack and i did mine pretty quick. Didnt time it but i know it wasnt more than 4-5 hours.

That's about right... :ok:

Thanks for the tip! Thats pretty much what I expected. Will be doing this pretty soon so I don't have to jerk around with it during the summer racing season. Fortunately I'm still at the smelling the Antifreez and nothing is dripping.:ok:

Most likely you won't ever see dripping...

attachment.php?attachmentid=4889&stc=1&d=1325267728

Because of how the HVAC case is designed. It designed to trap the liquids and route them to the A/C drain. So you mine take a q-tip or a rag and reach into the drain hole and see if you find a green liquid smelling of anti-freeze. Also the leak might be so small that the coolant never makes it outside but dries up on the heater core.

post-5354-145494319836_thumb.jpg

I've gotten to hate that smell..... It 'greeted' me as I left the house last night for work in the little car.... Oh well I guess.