Guest Mopar1973Man

6.5L Question...

Guest Mopar1973Man

This is actually aimed at Steve but I would take anyones ideas...

I've got a 6.5L Chevy 3500 fire truck. It got a lot of weird problems. Like hard starting (cold or hot) more so hot. Cutting out randomly. And once in awhile it trips the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light.

Can you give me some insite??? :confused:

hey mike there is a way you can bypass all that crap we have done it on all our subarbans and yes like tom said the glow plugs could be doing it ill ask some ppl about hard starting :thumbup:

What year mike? Hard starting hot could be inj pump. Hard starting cold could be glowplugs or controller. Give me some more info on the year.

Guest Mopar1973Man
Hard starting Cold could be tied to the Glow Plug Control Unit.

SES light could be linked to the EGR valve going bad.

We have replaced all the glow plugs and check for the voltage at the glow plugs when the light is on. Which there is a good strong 12V there...

As for the EGR valve where is that at?

hey mike there is a way you can bypass all that crap we have done it on all our subarbans and yes like tom said the glow plugs could be doing it ill ask some ppl about hard starting

Thanks... Yea like I said we replace all glow plugs and we know they are working.

What year mike? Hard starting hot could be inj pump. Hard starting cold could be glowplugs or controller. Give me some more info on the year.

We already changed the controller on the side of the injection pump. But not the pump. I think its a 1994... I'll go check tommorow...

More information...

Like last night coming home from my training. I went to start it. I waited for the GLOW PLUG light to go out. It was hard strarting. I had tried twice to get it. Got it started and proceeded home. Once I got to the highway I accelerated up to 55 MPH with a heavy foot on the throttle right around 50 MPH there is like a DEAD SPOT like the engine died and came back on. But this time it didn't trip the SES light. It only did this once. But come summer this become more often and regular with heat. Even the hard starting get worse in the summer.

I also know it got some extreme blow-by. Crankcase vent is blowin oil into the turbo. Nasty mess. I'm not sure how to handle that one either... I thought about putting a Mopar1973Man CCV on it and plug the hole in the turbo boot.

Maybe you guys can turn this truck into to something yet or it might be to beat up...:roll:

Check the lift pump that is mounted inside the frame under your feet. They go out from time to time. Check to make sure you have fuel flow out the pump.

Guest Mopar1973Man
Check the lift pump that is mounted inside the frame under your feet. They go out from time to time. Check to make sure you have fuel flow out the pump.

Done... There is good fuel flow... And yes the oil pressure switch works too...:thumbup:

Got any other ideas...???

Guest Mopar1973Man
Bad Inj pump.

I didn't want to hear that answer...:nono: Well I guess we'll run it till it pops! :shock:

Also the IP module was just change last summer...:roll: Spendy part...:-o

Guest Mopar1973Man
That is the best guess, the hot start issue is a dead ringer for bad pump.

Funny... 2 Cycle Oil makes the problems go away for a short time... Strange but true! :thumbup:

when my dad was having hot-start issues with his '91 FROD he would pour some cold water over the the injector pump to get it started.... just a thought.

My old man had a 94. It was his first diesel...and his last. He had it 3 years and had to replace the IP 3 times, controller 2 times. Kept turning on SES. I attribute it to 2 things: first, diesels don't like him. Second, 94 was the first production year of the electronic IP and controller. Makes him sick that I get 18 mpg with my '82 and practically NO mechanical problems in the 9 or 10 years I've owned it. Hope you have better luck than my old man.