MUDDY

What is your favorite engine oil?

my white 97 uses amsoil. orig owner used it and i stuck with it. has a rep as a good oil.

my other white 97 still has the premium blue by valvoline. the oil used originally when our engines left cmep. speed 3, who i got the truck from used the prem blue but doesnt know what oil the orig owner used. when i change it tho i will use delo, which i used in the other 21 diesels i have owned in my lifetime, the one exception my white 97 drw.

one thing about amsoil is the CI4 stuff is still available. the other brands are now treehugger oil. need to change it twice as often now on the old rigs and the new rigs with dpf often require changes at 2,000 miles. sucks.

the delo before the CJ4 change was good past 12k intervals.

some with the amsoil change at 80k. too long even with filter changing and bypass filtration. for me, on the amsoil, and long hwy trips vs NO city 12 to 15k is max changing the filter mid way.

5k on the new delo is great for the srw as it sees a few shorter trips, but out here a short trip is still 20 miles for me round trip at absolute mininum on a hot engine but normally 60 rnd trp. it gets hot enough to remove condensation. if i had the old style delo i'd run it a bit longer.

another reason i avoid smoking for fun. more soot gets in the oil.

I really like the Delo 400!! We had a class on it and supposedly the newer classifications have to meet all the old requirements before being allowed a newer number. If this is true then the newer oils are even better than the older ones they replace. Another way to describe this is that the newer numbers or ratings are actually a higher rating than the one before them.

If you guys want I could post some of the info from that class. I thought it was a great bunch of info! That is what convinced me to run with Delo!!

that wld be interesting dan. post what ya got :thumbup:

i understand the new cj oils are missing additives the old ci had which among other thngs dont suspend the soot as well.

starting in 02 or 03 that formula of delo had some good sttuff in it. [till 07]

on anothr note gary directed me to a walmrt that actually had the delo in stock :thumbup:

time to grab some for the 2500.

I've been using the castrol, but I think my truck has developed an appetite for it. I had the same problem with the delo. I may try the valvoline again as I cant remember how well my truck liked it.

as to how much more life you will get, a cummins engineer told me 'if you like your engine, use synthetcis'.

as to cost savings, i figure amsoil would be safe changing after twice as long of interval, so it's a wash....

my drw had amsoil and changed at 5k. 5k with amsoil is overkill imo.

i ran amsoil to 13k and had it tested. all was well. they said run it another 13 then have tested again. i changed at that time anyway but see no trouble with 15k intervals with amsoil and maybe change the filter half way thru and do a test every other time.

I've done an analysis on mine twice now from BlackStone Labs. I usually run mine 10,k also and both times they said the oil was still in good shape. I like the idea of being able to run it longer like that. On mine the owners manual says use a 7,500 mile interval under severe duty conditions and a 15,k mile interval under ideal conditions. That is why I chose 10,k and I did the analysis those two times to verify that would be ok. I have a bit higher wear in my engine than what it should be based on averages of others but it doesn't appear to be because of the oil. Analysis can also pin point most anything going on inside your engine. Things that I liked finding in there were almost no fuel in the oil. No coolant in the oil! And that my air filter is working great!! I may have to test it again some time to see how much better this VBBHAF is working. With the BHAF my silicone levels were very low!!