twistedjack

fuel problem...... HELP!!!!

Ok guys, first off I want to say sorry for not being on here in a long time.

Some quick info so you know what I am working on.

83 chevy crew cab 94 12valve cummins 5speed blah blah blah

PROBLEM is I can seem to keep fuel to the injection pump. It will only give me short bursts of power then the boost falls off and blue smoke.

I have replaced the fuel filter and stock pump from cummins. That didnt help so I installed a holley pump ahead of the stock pump, this worked fine for about a year but now the holley is giving up and the problem is back. I know the fittings are tight and since I am pressurizing the fuel ahead of the stock pump if I have an air leak it would leak fuel fuel with the electric pump running but everything is dry. A year a go I pulled the screen in the fuel heater and cleaned it out that is the only thing that I havent done lately but that is very unlikely that it is the problem since it didnt fix it last time either.

one thing to consider that a lot of guys miss, just because it doesn't leak fuel out does not mean it can't leak air in, in some cases the leak area can form something of a check valve where it would let air in but not fuel out, I'd experiment with putting a piece of clear tubing in the fuel line in different spots to see if there is air in it, I'd be tempted to look between your holley pump and stock pump.

Check the rubber fuel lines real close. Sometimes a crack can do this!

You are headed in the right direction though: The water drain valve on these is often the culprit too . . . Let us know what you find!

Well guys I found the problem and she is up and running again. When I swapped the motor in I ran the hard lines up the firewall to intersect the factory hard lines at the back of the motor. Turns out that I didnt have enough bend radius on the hose and it kinked in two spots. I found it when I was tracing out the lines to bypass the fuel heater and there it was hidden under part of the wiring harness. Anyway to simplify things I went ahead and bypassed the heater and ran a 1/2" line back to my holley pump. I think the holley is needed to help the restriction that I have with the dual tank valve in the system.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I Just realized something:

You didn't bypass your fuel filter did you?

That would be bad....... But, I probably just mis-read what you said above.... I just wanted to clarify it for sure.