future_spiegel

so i got me a rare impala wagon...

while on my trip down here in mexico city... i checked the numbers and this one is the cream of the crop, with a/c and the v8 engine. so far its not running because it has a inline 6 (which is actually even bigger cid) that someone stole the starter out of it, but got the original v8 so its a matching numbers impala 9 passenger wagon...

anyone want to see pics? also does anyone know ANYTHING about these? im having a beezy trying to find info on it

oop! basically its a 63 impala wagon 9 passenger and here be a few pics:

there is a bit of cancer on it, but thankfully its nothing serious and i can have entire panels replaced here for a hell of a lot cheaper than over there, let me know what you think.

S7302314.jpg

S7302171.jpg

S7302170.jpg

S7302168.jpg

S7302164.jpg

S7302159.jpg

S7302158.jpg

S7302156.jpg

S7302314.jpg

thanks everyone, basically the 283 v8 that you see at the end is the original motor which got pulled out because it was smoking a bit (i checked the insides and it seems to have some sludge) so i think im going to rebuild and improve that one (maybe a bigger bore, pistons, intake and carb) while the wagon moves with the inline 6 292 cid (which the guy said ran a hell of a lot better being a 6 than the 8 did, any info on the 292?)

more pics:

S7302307.jpg

S7302308.jpg

S7302166.jpg

S7302307.jpg

and no kev, the guy took off the cragar wheels cuz he wanted more for them (and honestly where phuked up to hell and back and wouldnt allow the thing to roll...

my 76 k20 had the 292. i prefer in-line 6's but that one had no balls and sucked fuel. it doesent compare to the 300 ferd.

my 76 k20 had the 292. i prefer in-line 6's but that one had no balls and sucked fuel. it doesent compare to the 300 ferd.

Sounds like the twin to 300 ferd.. grew to loathe that motor.

11mpg ?maybe? tuned to the 9's... e fans, high flow intake, synth blend oral... ran like a swiss watch.. and draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank!!!!!!!!!!

Take a 7.5 over a 4.9 anyday.

Good looking ride Deej... now you have a visual for what a 5.9 Cummins will look like in there......

my 292 would get 6 towing, 8 or 9 most of the time empty running around and 12 with a tailwind down hill. and that truck was gutless. i also drove a k 10 250 inline six that was more gutless than the 292. one of my 300s in a bronc 14 to 16 empty. had decent power. an 89 efi f-150 300 would get me 16 to 19 on the open road and would easily outpull my 302s pulling a 24 foot camp trailer. i really liked the 89.

back to the 292, others had the same opinion of there 292's. pos.

i like your cummins conversion idea kevin. a 5.9 or even a 3.9 would make that an awesome driving wagon :ok:

I see a lot a time and money partin ways with you here in the near future Julio, hold on it's gonna be a wild ride. Ya I can see Cheech N Chong cruisin the strip in this thing in one a there old movies.

my 292 would get 6 towing, 8 or 9 most of the time empty running around and 12 with a tailwind down hill. and that truck was gutless. i also drove a k 10 250 inline six that was more gutless than the 292. one of my 300s in a bronc 14 to 16 empty. had decent power. an 89 efi f-150 300 would get me 16 to 19 on the open road and would easily outpull my 302s pulling a 24 foot camp trailer. i really liked the 89.

back to the 292, others had the same opinion of there 292's. pos.

i like your cummins conversion idea kevin. a 5.9 or even a 3.9 would make that an awesome driving wagon :ok:

Blatantly off topic... but this is what the 6 was supposed to get in an 83 Bronco...

ad_ford_bronco_1983_snow.jpg

interesting, i had heard nothing but good things on another site, for now im going to leave it as is and just get it to drive, in the future i'll swap the original engine in there, for now the plan is to get that wagon to a resto stock form, of course if something is to happen then i'll most def drop a nice 5.9 cummins and maybe even chop the top an inch or two and make it a sick ride... oh the possibilities!

btw, 18 and 27 mpg? is that with the owner pushing it? hehe

Ahh that would be a 4bt transplant if it wouldn't be to tall. The 6BT would weight the front end down to much and it would be way over powered anyway for a back to stock resto.

Now personally I like yer idea of choppin the top, shavin the door handles since they're gone anyway, smoke out the lights with roll pan bumpers, maybe a nice bright yellow paint job with some accent stripes, now were talkin baby. Since your gonna shave the door handles anyway you may as well make them all Hydraulic suicide doors anyway.

haha indeed, i havent been able to drop by and check on it where i have it stored right now but it should get underway in the next week or so.

as to the price, it was 12,000 pesos even

well unfortunately i dont have much free time here which is why im having a good friend of mine take care of it and fix it/paint it, etc (same guy working on the 56 chev thats my brother's) but i'll def take care of the interiors and such once i get it back stateside.... still too many options!

btw, for the price of a 4bt, might as well get the 5.9 and do the necessary modifications! can you imagine a 600+ torque monster in that impala?

btw im also getting a free 12 bolt posi rear end from a 67 ss impala from the guy i got the wagon from... oh baby!

To hold the weight and torque of a 5.9 you would have to completely re-design and custom build a new frame and chassis. The weight of the motor and torque would twist it and flex it so much that it would just in a short amount of time snap. Don't be fooled by the name and those little 4BT Cummins, they are some wicked little motors and easy to work on.

it was 12,000 pesos even

The last time I paid attention to exchange rate (6th grade, 1983) that would have been 12 dollars American, tell me that ain't so.

It's showin the exchange rate to be $884 rounded off, as of today.
so, 884:1? so that car cost him what lunch for 2 cost us stateside?
googled it myself, cost hom about a grand in American Dollars.

I will drink coffee before I post in the future, I understand completely now.

wow, that is indeed true, about a grand USD, and kevin, your coffee-less bring a smile to my face, lol.

x2 on the cummins being so well built that it needs a complete redesign. Too bad those damn 4bt's are so expensive... maybe i can find something down here... i was thinking of dropping an LS7 in that beaut, imagine that, or the 454 from the suburban EFI...

just because engines are cheap here (LS7 being the exception...or is it? probably can find a good one hot, need to do some shopping)

If you decide you want an LS7 let me know. My kid builds a lot of em for racers around here and can usually find em pretty easy. He's buildin one for himself right now to drop in his little Miata he uses for Autocross racin.