biohmmwv

Wind wing delete

Does anyone know of someone deleting the wind wing on the 88-97 Ford doors? For those who don't know, the wind wing ( to my knowledge) is that triangle shaped piece of glass that flips out in front of the window on the door.

I have to replace the doors on my truck and I was thinking of trying something different. I believe I would have to use the Chevy inner door panel off of the same vintage, as the regulator is bolted to the inner panel, which is removable. But, this is all theory.

So, anyone seen a custom mod like this done?

Well, the HVAC is going back in this weekend:hi5:. So, the wind wings aren't needed anymore. I just thought I might do something different, and, possibly better. Since my Dad does not want a newer truck anymore (thanks to the Cummins) I am trying to keep it interesting for him. I just need to figure out if it is worth the $$$ and :wall:. Not to mention how much of each it is going to take.

leave it would be my recommendation.. time and money ahead.

Sorry to hear the HVAC is going back in, just never fully comprehended the drive for that, maybe if we lived in a different climate, but even then...

Congrats on reviving it in an older piece though.. that si a rare thing to see these days.

leave it would be my recommendation.. time and money ahead.

Sorry to hear the HVAC is going back in, just never fully comprehended the drive for that, maybe if we lived in a different climate, but even then...

Congrats on reviving it in an older piece though.. that si a rare thing to see these days.

Never understood the drive for Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning?

We've had the truck since 1994, second owner. Two gassers, and too many extras to list, Dad got sick of working on it. With the 460 gasser, he was constantly having to keep his foot in it to go down the freeway, and filling it up made him sick (50 gallon capacity, and 8-10mpg). Putting the Diesel in it made it into a whole new truck! It is quieter down the freeway, handles better, brakes better, rolls better, and gets double the fuel economy it did before. He also found out that he is not as tired after a trip, as he does not feel the engine working so hard. We only have one last engine noise hole in the firewall some ware. The avenue for the noise has been there since we bought it. It is somewhere behind the driver's side of the dash.

Never understood the drive for Air Conditioning?

half exhausted last night.

I use your story, the part I deleted' for my example when I describe the bonus to a Fummins....(thats the "slang name" for a cummins in a Ford, right?)

ok... after having had the glass out of a few older fords in that range the one big problem I see is that the glass has a curve to it but if you can get past that all you would need to do is cut down the window channel/wind wing post and move it to the front of the door and cut and splice the welting to make it long enough to go around as far as the regulator you should be ok with the stock regulator cuz it is straight up and downand the added weight on the front edge would be minimal. Hope this helps

Thank you for getting this back on track Jack.

I found a PDF detailing an install of a one piece window for the early 80's Chevrolet. As I feared, the front of the window needs a pivoting support bracket run off of the main bracket. At least it does not need a scissor jack bracket like in the Chevy. I think I can use the existing regulator bracket, and just bolt on a secondary piece to add support to the front of the window. The next thing to find out is how to get longer window scrapors, and find out how much the new window will cost. It may cost more then it is worth, but, how knows. I'll have some calls to make on Monday. Back to fiberglassing parts on my HMMWV.

What do you think?

Link to the site that makes the kit for the Chevy:

http://www.onepieceproducts.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GM01-K

Custom Classic Truck article:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.onepieceproducts.com%2Fimages%2FCustomClassicTrucks_200703.pdf&ei=Pr5GSsMdjtQyvo6QrAI&usg=AFQjCNGC1L3PpjUMeivh5qjpqey-MnlL4w&sig2=hlqiqaKObdDswhH2vnkFyg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found