Sycostang67

Why dont diesels create vacumn?

I swear I used to know the answer to this, but was asked about it recently and couldn't come up with an answer. Is it because a diesel takes all the air it needs and doesn't have a throttle plate to restrict it? That makes sense, since when you open the throttle on a gas motor, the vacumn drops.

I wanted to say thanks guys for all the great info. And in detail, or know where to go for the info.. Thanks again guys.. :ok:

on turbo engine you cant have boost and vacuum at the same time it is just impossible:buds:

Now, I have to disagree! I have both on mine (And at the same time!) . . . LOL :popcorn:

Seriously, you guys are right in your explanations. What you have to remember is that a diesel is throttled by fuel and not air. So what ever you do don't feed fuel to a running one unless you want it to speed up!! (Something to remember when you have a leak around or in the air intake. Heck, they will even run away on natural gas in the atmosphere if it is concentrated enough!! A run away diesel is a terrible thing! Only way to stop it is to remove the fuel or block the air to the engine!

:lol: . . . . . I just couldn't help myself! But you are right: It is only because I have a vacuum pump in there for the Jacobs brake! (Of course: If you believe the filter minder, I do have a vacuum going on when the turbo spools. So.... I guess it's all in how you look at it. There is a bit of vacuum there; but, it is useless for any practical purposes!)