BlackCloud

The DIC

how does it figure your average mpg and fuel used?

the reason i ask is because today was my first time fueling the new truck. it said i used 5.5 gallons, and that i was averaging 19.2mpg.

well when i fueled up i put in 7.5 gallons and that hand calculated to 14mpg.

soooooo.... what gives?

The DIC's most of the time are off. Depends on if you got oversized tires without recalibrating the the speedo. Mine was off a little even after I calibrated it with EFI.

As many electronics as the DMax has I would assume it's based on RPM, throttle position, and maybe some sensor for fuel flow. I don't know how it would compensate for how much idle time/starting evolutions you go through in one tank. Mine used to be off just a little with 285s and would show about 4 mph slower on the speedo than real speed at 75mph. I have the Edge Race Evo and did the tire size recal. Not sure what it did to my DIC and guages, but now I am showing 3 mph faster on speedo and CTS than real speed at 75 mph (been radared 3 different times and all same result). My DIC average for a full tank all highway driving showed 3 mpg better vs. hand-calc at 75 mph. I think it was around 430 miles when I filled up and DIC said 23.5 but I hand-calc'd it at 19.7 mpg.

Edited by racer220

I've hand calculated many tanks through mine, and I have found that on average my DIC is about 2mpg higher then hand calc. I have seen as little as 1mpg diff and as high as 4mpg diff.

It seemed like it was more consistant around 2mpg before the tune..... But I don't fault the tune for that at all. I believe it is just the way the truck calculates vs the way I drive it.

Yeah, it kind of seems rare when you get one that is on or real close. Wish they all were on but most are not. (I believe they just calculate fuel use off of injector duty cycles. But I don't know. . . .)