future_spiegel

So i've gone to the dark side...

Well as some of you know im the proud (and very happy) owner of a cummins now. So far the truck has a new radiator, new a/c compressor, alternator, brakes and a few other things replaced by the PO, and so it rides good with no problems.

So far the only quirks ive noted are as follow:

1.There is no e-brake? the brake light is on but i cant find the damn e-brake.

2.ABS light and Air bag light are both on, wondering how i can check/clear those.

3.Temperature seems to fluctuate a lot sometimes, it can mark as cool (1/4 of gauge) then rapidly climb to 1/2 , down 1/4, up to 3/4, etc and all within seconds so im not sure if its sensor or what.

4.Infiniti radio sounds great but cd player wont work, just says track 0 then error.

other than that im pretty happy with the truck but know absolutely nothing about cummins, so if you guys could give me a sort of crash course on what to look for, maintain and keep an eye out i'd be very happy.

Best of all its a 12V 95 and mechanically injected (i hear california is going to smog all diesels that are electrically injected so....) anywho ill shut up here are pics.

S7301971.jpg

S7301972.jpg

S7301973.jpg

S7301975.jpg

S7301976.jpg

S7301977.jpg

Nice!!!! We are so proud of you Julio! :buds::hi5::rockin::yes::cheer::poke: You have finnaly realized the errors of your ways(the error mainly being that you have not owned one previously lol) and you are finnally getting it right! lol :D Good job and great find!!!

First things first, I would say that your main concern is probably the KDP. Make sure that there are no leaks around the front of the engine/your gearcase. If you notice anything, cross your fingers and hope that it is not to late!!!! DO NOT I REPEAT< DO NOT DRIVE IF YOU SEED OIL!!!!!!!!! GET IT RETAINED FIRST BEFORE YOU DRIVE TI MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! If you do not know about the KDP (Killer Dowel Pin), you should be able to find a thread about it if you search it. Another important thing would be to get the lift pump tested. Those are jsut the main imprtant things that pop to mind. Now we need to talk about bombing it. O well crap you live in Caleforne :( no fun in that...... :( (lol).

Looks like you got a nice find. The miles are high, but do not worry, these are million mile engines! And 12v are much better than 24v. alot less worrys/etc.

I am sorry, i do not really know anything about your questions. I am sure muddy has a solution......

Good job Julio. As I said, we are proud!

You will not be dissapointed! I promise!

u mean u were on the dark side, and saw the LIGHT

J/K might sound like a tractor but it will run forever.

CONGRATS!

lucky julio........... you got a nice one. :ok:

just get the dowel pin retained to start w/ as amanda stated.

search in the 1st gen and 2nd gen sections and there are pics and info in the threads that show what can happen.

is the 95 kali rig burdened with the EGR garbage?????????????? if so can that

Since you have a California engine, you should see if you can put a better intake horn on the engine, if you have an EGR on there. We have a California engine, and the original intake horn was incredibly restrictive.

indeed, if any bombers are ever in the area come on down!

thanks a lot everyone, ill definetely do some research on the dowel pin, unfortunately its too dark right now for me to see if there's leaks, and today i changed the air filter (it was clogged with crap) and figured out the cause of my temp needle being all over the place (added a gallon of antifreeze).

i also checked and it seems like its a california model, so the egr has to go, and im going to do some research on the intake horn, as im not really sure what it is. Its dark now but ill post engine pictures tomorrow

also forgot to mention, i love the tractor noise (even if my neighbors hate me for it) and im going to see if i can have it inspected soon so i know exactly what i need to do to get it to 100 percent again. boy the difference a clean air filter makes, i drove it out of the grass and it has more power now loaded than before, real responsive too!

The intake horn is that square piece of aluminum that connects to the intercooler tube. If you have access to a drill press and a welder, you can fab up one with a piece of 3 inch U shape exhaust tubing. Just make sure it looks like the EGR is hooked up to it, for the Smog commies. I'll post a pic of the one I made for my Dad's engine. You could also put on a 24 valve exhaust manifold to reduce the exhaust restriction.

And congratulations on your new truck, that tractor noise is like a beautiful symphony of power and high fuel economy.

awesome info, thanks man! i have a friend that has a hardware store/trailer maker and im sure he can give me a hand, as to the EGR its coming clean off since im safe from the grubby hands of the smog commies (only electrically injected diesels) but do let me see those pics, im interested.

now to find a dash, foot brake pedal (its missing wtf?) and a 24v exhaust.!

Hey Julio, congrats on the new rig, glad to hear that you finialy got a good rig. And the best part is that you have a 12v..... :yes: Well any who, take care of that wonderful truck. Have fun drivin it.

DSCF0246.jpgDSCF0247.jpg

Here is the intake, and the exhaust manifold. Notice how the exhaust manifold is larger, and has gentler bends. Using the 24 valve manifold is the poor mans way of putting headers on the 12valve. Just use a die grinder to smooth out the casting marks on the inside. Also, the one on my truck is a common rail manifold, you need the 98-02 manifold.

I think you still need the EGR on there to abide by smog laws, as the engine was built with it on there.

Are you going to see the Cowboy Bebop live action movie when it comes out?

hmm i think my engine looks different than that but ill try to post a picture to show you guys. thanks, so far i filled up the tank and have drove it 200 miles on 1/4 tank and seems to be driving smoothly

as to the movie, a bebop fan here? awesome! im thinking of going to see it only because im a bebop fan but knowing fully that it will be the bastard child of another holywood producer.:td:

DJ,

What an awesome find!! That is a great rig!!

If you want me to send you some files I have on the KDP, just ask and I will email them right to ya!! I have compiled all the info I could find on it into one or two word documents. (I will send it to anyone that needs it too!)

Run good fluids in this old girl and she will last you a very long time! I personally use and recommend Delo products from Chevron. The Delo oil beats most everything out there for protection and performance. It is even better than a lot of synthetic oils!! The Delo ELC coolant is best too! I'm putting together a file on that as well (Hopefully it will be available pretty soon). The old green stuff does work, you just have to change it every 12 months! Do change it every 12 months. It has a life of only 12 or 18 months - Total!! Don't keep it on the shelf before you use it! That total life is whether it is in the vehicle or still in the bottle (I just realized that 'just in time inventory' may be good for something after all!). I never knew this before (I'm learning so much in college!) (It is scary!!) :yes:

Let's get you on a BHAF to keep the intake air as clean as possible! Along those lines, since you live there; you will know what they do for inspections when you have to take it into the smog police / nazis for registration. If they are going to 'sniff' it's butt and do a visual, you will want to have the EGR in there (or at least appear to be there!!) or just change out the air horn (Or where ever it is) when you have to take it in. I have done that with my exhaust by using the wide band clamps. If I ever have to change it around or put the cat back in... I just undo the band clamps and switch it over. Just takes minutes!! I did this because there are rumors of starting emission testing here......:ow:

If you can: find out it's past history. When was the last time an overhead was run (Adjust the valves). I think you should do it about every 50,k on that motor (Correct me if I'm wrong on that!). Same with fluids in the trans and rear end. You can pick a mileage / time to change them. It depends on how hard you use it of course. Short trips are really hard on a vehicle. They need to get out an run and get hot!! And of course the harder you work them (Closer to capacity... Or over in my case sometimes!!) then the more often you should change those fluids! I will do my axles and trans around 30,k or up to 50,k I think... At least at current use and loads...

I would also recommend a nice fuel filter. I have all the info for easily adding one with parts available locally. While a 2 micron isn't as necessary for one of these older diesels; it certainly won't hurt it and you shouldn't have to worry about dirt in your fuel after that!

This is approaching the limit for a post so I will stop for now... I bet we could give you ideas and keep you busy for a long time! . . . LOL

wow dan! thanks a lot, actually since i just got new tires on teh rig i think im also going to tacle the oil change, have my mechanic come over and adjust the valves and take care of all the fluids so that i know at what intervals to re do stuff like that. right now she's got 266k miles on her (i got her at 265 even!) and still driving along like new.

unfortunately my $&*ing computer broke and i've been kind of incomunicado lately but ill be back with new pics and more questions. thanks everyone.

oh also dan, if you could mail me that book you were telling me of i'd apreciate it a whole lot man.

actually great, ive put close to 1k miles on her so far and she's taking it in stride! im surprised that i was able to go almost 300 miles on 1/2 tank (until my leadfoot brother and dad drove it, then it emptied quickly) and today i hooked the heavy trailer to it and it was like its not even there.

unfotunately im busy trying to track down a differential noise in teh tacoma and have been neglecting it so far, but i plan to dump 1/2 gallon of lucas oil stabilizer in teh rear end and fill the rest with normal oil (like i just did with the tacoma).

here's a quick picture for you guys (and she rides so smooth on new tires to boot!)

S7301990.jpg

S7301991.jpg

S7301992.jpg

S7301993.jpg

S7301994.jpg

oop forgot to mention, the specific tire size that im running is the strongest you can get (number of plys) while still being affordable. I got the particular set (6) for the cool price of 1050, so if anyone is interested let me know and maybe we can work out a way to get them to ya.

Congrats man...

I would suggest getting a new thermostat from Cummins - should cure your temp swing issues.

They arent cheap, but neither is doing an engine rebuild.