Shaner

Replacing Ball joints on Sam's truck (5.9 Cummins Fan) Pics included

Here are some pics of Sam and Jack tearing into his truck and replacing the ball joints... Took em about 2 hours to do both sides.. Good work fellas...:cheer:

Picture560.jpg

Picture561.jpg

Picture562.jpg

Picture563.jpg

Picture564.jpg

Picture565.jpg

Sorry I didn't get too many more pics... I was a little tied up myself...

Picture559.jpg

That rocks that everything came apart. Last one I did took me all day because the Unit Bearings were seized and rusted into the knuckle. Had to make a crazy puller to yard it out.

Good work guys! Looks like you were busy...

Well I got a little usb thingy so I can upload the pics I took and put it into a how to section...do a little step by step thingy...Thanks Jack for all the help, well actually pretty much all the work and the use of your tools...and Shane for the use of the shop...thanks Brothas :cheer:

Well I got a little usb thingy so I can upload the pics I took and put it into a how to section...do a little step by step thingy...Thanks Jack for all the help, well actually pretty much all the work and the use of your tools...and Shane for the use of the shop...thanks Brothas :cheer:

anytime brotha....:cheer:

So far I've been lucky with unit bearings. Never had much trouble on any axle I've torn down.

The ball joints on the truck were a PITA though. It took a pickle fork on each ball joint plus beating the shit out of the knuckle to get the it off. Then it took all my BJ press had to get them out and that press is pretty beefy.

That rocks that everything came apart. Last one I did took me all day because the Unit Bearings were seized and rusted into the knuckle. Had to make a crazy puller to yard it out.

YEAH chris much like you I was nervous because the last one I did before sams was extremely difficult and took all day beating and prying and cussing lots and lots of cussing but sams came right apart no problems at all except the new ball joints pressed in very very tight

hey no problem sam I know you will help me out of a bind someday:buds:

I think I need to replace mine but, not sure. I took my truck to Les Schwab and they cant find anything wrong but, I can fell some weird stuff in the front end. Its not terrible but, there is something gettin worse. They said that I may need to replace the u-joints but, shouldnt I need to replace the upper and lower ball joints like u guys did here?

I think I need to replace mine but, not sure. I took my truck to Les Schwab and they cant find anything wrong but, I can fell some weird stuff in the front end. Its not terrible but, there is something gettin worse. They said that I may need to replace the u-joints but, shouldnt I need to replace the upper and lower ball joints like u guys did here?

To check your ball joints, jack up the front of your truck and after you put jack stands under it use a bar to put under each wheel and lift up a little bit. If the wheel moves but the suspension doesn't the ball joints are bad.

While you got it up there next grab the wheel on two sides and try to rock it back and forth. If you find play like this the wheel bearings are due to be replaced.

WARNING: Don't prove your manhood here. Make sure you don't knock the truck off the stands tryin to wrestle the wheel around, your only lookin for play in it and not if it will break lose.

Check your trac bar it is the bar going from the frame on drivers side to axle on passenger side and it will make them handle like hell if it is a vibration go after the axle u-joints first if they are bad. Have a friend shake the steering wheel back and forth and look at all the tie rod ends and trac bar for any movement. if you need pointers on any of these repairs just ask

Thanks for the pointers, when I get back in town I will check this. We did jack it up on the rack at Schwabs and u could see shiny metal on the lower joints. It did move up and down when we lifted it up.