future_spiegel

diesel in a 56 chevy

hey everyone, my grandfather has a 56 chevy that he ended up giving to my brother back when he passed away and its undergoing some resto for the moment. Its a 2 door model and originally came with a i6 i believe so while me and my bro were thinking of engines to drop in i decided to go the diesel route.

I was thinking of staying with chevy and drop a 6.2 or 6.5 TD detroit, or for extreme sickness a cummins with the massive torque. Any ideas? i would think that the Detroit should fit since its a small(ish) block v8, and so should the cummins 4bt i believe since its small enough to fit in a bay originally meant for long I6's and v8's...

Id post some photos but they are somewhere on my hard drives...:wall:

Sounds like you have some really good ideas.. Also sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of ya.. Ummm I'm not sure which one you would like to go with, but which one would you prefer to put in???

well tbh i dont know the first thing about cummings and im getting familiarized with me detroit so probably the detroit since i know a bit about it already.

i was doing some research and it seems liek a bel air weighs about 3100 pounds while my suburban weighs about 5200 pounds SO if i was to get another 6.2 (or maybe even a 6.5!) and turbo it, it would make for a real nice torquey ride.

That sounds like a good running rig. Well once done. Well at least you would be going with something that you already know. And that could be a better way to go..

ooh kevin you are really tempting me now! well for the time being the car is still in the old country awaiting a full resto and cancer combat so i'll let you guys know how the process goes. Ill try to find soem pictures to scare you with

haha, well the car was sitting for a good ammount of years in rainy mexico city and was overall neglected for many years before that... for the time being im going to fight the cancer and once i get it in a more assembled version start looking at motors and such.. thanks for all your input guys, what is attracting me the most is the overall uniqueness of the car, since i have yet to see one diesel, and much less turboed. $$$

Oh wow! . . . So many choices!!

There is a guy near me who has a flat head in an old 8N Ford tractor. Does that sound neat!!