Guest 9812VCTD

Polishing

Guest 9812VCTD

Well I got the bright idea to polish my compressor housing and what a job that has turned out to be! I've already put about 6 hours into it and more to go. I'll post a few pics when I get it done.

Justin

You just pull it off and use a buffing wheel with some compound. Start off with 120grit sanding compound to smooth it out and then go to the jewelers rouge to take the sand lines out of it, or leave them in there for a satin finish. Then just use some talc on the buffing wheel to color/shine it up. Takes a couple of hours and they look like chrome when your done. Then if you wanna get serious find somebody that will clear coat it for you with Emeron. This is the clear coat they use on aircraft. You can't burn it or chip it. I sprayed several of my huntin guns with it over 15 years ago and haven't cleaned em since, but they look brand new.

Guest 9812VCTD

I've found this to be a pain some of the places are hard to get at, but it should look pretty nice when I'm done! Thanks for the tips 99.

Justin

Guest 9812VCTD

Got my housing finished up will try to get a few pics up tomorrow. It turned out pretty good alot of work!

Justin

Guest 9812VCTD

This Thread is worthless without pictures....

Here's a few pics Stevo....

2194857760064205362S600x600Q85.jpg

Tore apart

2275668770064205362S600x600Q85.jpg

Ready to go

2328885590064205362S600x600Q85.jpg

Shiney!

2440155020064205362S600x600Q85.jpg

All finished up!

It was a pretty big job would probably go faster if I did it again, I like the looks of the polished housing.

Justin

Guest 9812VCTD

Thanks Brian I seen Max's 3B housing was polished now I'm looking at mine thinking I need to get it polished for that compound turbo setup!:twisted:

Justin

Guest 9812VCTD

Marine,

I used a die grinder to get the lettering and other casting imperfections off, then I put on an 80 grit sanding wheel to rough in the housing. I then went over the tights spots by hand with 80 then hand sanded the housing with 120-180-220-320 then finish sanded with 600. My dad has a buffing wheel setup I used to do the fine polishing with used a brown stick then finished with a white rouge. Hope this makes sense there may be an easier way to do this? But I like the finishd product.

Justin

Guest Mopar1973Man

Dude... That's awesome... Would you do mine too??? Geez... I might pull mine off and start working on it this summer. :thumbup:

Ok... Time for a shopping list! :shock:

Guest 9812VCTD

Justin, i will let you do the one on my LLY if you can find it. I think i can see it waaaaay down in there

Your on your own there Bro!:lol:

Justin