Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Bubba

Need Wiring Advice For Switch install

I have a dual LP system in my truck. Right now they are both pushing all the time but I want to add a switch to each one so I can turn them on and off independantly. Can anybody give me a lesson in wiring for dummies on how to do this. Were talkin basics here. I can tear most of this truck apart and put it back together again, but I know nothin about electronics.

Guest Mopar1973Man

Well ummm... I got to wondering about your pump setup first. Is the first pump pumping into the second pump? Or is it two pumps working side by side?

If its on going to the other you might lose fuel pressure when you shut down either pump...

But if they are running side by side there is no harm...

As for wiring I can help more once I know what setup you got... I'll even draw a wiring diagram for you... Kind of like this on for my fog lamps...

fog_lamps_-_Version_2.jpg

They run side by side. both pumps are pushing, with this I can pull any trailer turn the Comp up as high as it will go and hammer the pedal, it holds 21psi and doesn't budge a bit. I just don't want to wear both pumps out running all the time for daily driving.

Guest Mopar1973Man

Ok.. I'm back sorry ofr the little wait... I had to build a computer first os I could get back to you...

So basically you need to look at the power leads going to one pump. Then you need to cut just the positive lead heading to this pump. Then add your switch to it.

It goes against the grain to put a switch on a fuel pump... :shock: But that me..

I understand your thoughts on having a switch on the pump. In my case, the way this system is set up even with no LP running at all I have 4 psi at WOT just by gravity feed.

So I run a wire from the positive wire to a switch and then from the switch to the power supply. Hope I am understanding this right. Once I figure this whole switch and fuses thing out I have a number of them I am going to hook up.

Guest Mopar1973Man

Becareful...

Simple...

pump%20wiring%20cummins%2099.jpg

Here is how I would lay it out to wire up your pump on a switch... :thumbup: