BigOne

Tranny Swap?

Has any one ever done a tranny swap from a E40D to a 5-speed manual? Worth the effort to do the swap? Any tips on what to do and what not to do? Looking at doing the swap with a 1993 F250 4x4 7.3L International. Truck is stock other than a lift and bigger tires.

The swap would not be too bad if you have a donor truck. If you are piecing it together it may make it a bit tougher. I have read about lot's of people doing it and liking the results.

Steve

I've been told I have to replace my whole wiring harness? Is that true? I was going to try to find a donor truck and grab the tranny, clutch stuff, and the tranny wiring. Am I going to half to swap transfer cases?

I think Steve is right, the t-case should work. As for the wiring harness I don't know why you would need to swap it all. The only electrical connection on the ZF-5 is for the back-up lights I believe, I would have to go out and look at the one I have to be sure. There must be an ECM for the E40D, but I don't know what else(if anything) it controls? Having a donor truck would definately be a plus. As for the swap being worth it I think that depends on why you are doing it.

Thanks. I can't find out if the computer that controls the tranny is the same one that controls the engine. I've talked to some of the ford service reps and of they couldn't tell me anything. I'll ask some other shop and see what they say and go talk to a few tranny shops and see what they say. I want to do a tranny swap because I hate auto's and manuals are simple. I guess I'll go on a donor truck hunt here next week. Thanks again.

Ok. Whats controls the tranny? Just engine RPM? I talked with a guy from Ammco, and he said that the tranny shift points are controlled by engine RPM and load. How can a mechanical controlled tranny judge all that? Thanks again.

Short answer:

"To shift properly, the automatic transmission has to know how hard the engine is working. There are two different ways that this is done. Some cars have a simple cable linkage connected to a throttle valve in the transmission. The further the gas pedal is pressed, the more pressure is put on the throttle valve. Other cars use a vacuum modulator to apply pressure to the throttle valve. The modulator senses the manifold pressure, which drops when the engine is under a greater load. "

If you have more time to read: Automatic transmission on How Stuff Works

Guest 9812VCTD

I was going to do this swap with a few different people when I had my 95 just never got around to it but if you get it done let us know how it goes and get some pictures!

Justin

Tom's explanation is good, but it is mechanically operated tranny behind a gas engine explanation I think. Your transmission is electronically controlled, thats what the E in E40D is for. IDI motors have an injection pump lever sensor I believe which monitors throttle position. I think the tranny control uses this sensor, plus engine RPM, and there are a couple of VSS sensors that it uses also I think. I don't have one of these trucks with an auto, or a wiring diagram or I could probably tell you more. I'm guessing that if you do the swap and keep the stock wiring you will get an SES light because there is no auto tranny for the computer to monitor anymore, otherwise I think it will run and work fine. This is only a guess though. I also don't know about the ABS and how or if it interacts with the tranny computer.

I think you are right on the Money Balin, I think it will work but it will set a check engine light, take the baulb out. I pulled the baulb out on my 94 chev with the 6.5l, it had a egr code and no way was i going to drop 160.00 for a egr valve.

Steev

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll go talk with a couple of juck yards for parts and go see the Ford dealer and see if they have done it, or any info on the tranny wiring and also the ABS system conflicts.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found